Lowering Iron (chelation) May Stop Alzheimer Disease (AD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written several times about the dangers of excess iron and its relation to neurodegenerative conditions. He also routinely recommends measuring ferritin and transferrin as more accurate way of assessing iron status.
It seems that some people in Australia exhibit proper cognitive function and propose treating Alzheimer's with iron chelating drugs. Perhaps more importantly, they propose using levels of ferritin as a biomarker predicting Alzheimer's risk and disease progression.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/15051 ... s7760.html
http://www.sciencealert.com/high-iron-l ... -s-disease

"...Existing drugs that reduce brain iron levels could stop the disease in its tracks. High levels of iron in the brain could increase the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and hasten the cognitive decline that comes with it, new research suggests. The results of the study, which tracked the brain degeneration of people with Alzheimer's over a seven-year period, suggest it might be possible to halt the disease with drugs that reduce iron levels in the brain. "We think that iron is contributing to the disease progression of Alzheimer's disease," neuroscientist Scott Ayton, from the University of Melbourne in Australia, told Anna Salleh at ABC Science. "This is strong evidence to base a clinical trial on lowering iron content in the brain to see if that would impart a cognitive benefit."
"...At the beginning of the study, the researchers determined the patients' brain iron levels by measuring the amount of ferritin in the cerebrospinal fluid around the brain. Ferritin is a protein that stores and releases iron. The researchers did regular tests and MRI scans to track cognitive decline and changes in the brain over the study period. They found that people with higher levels of ferritin - in all groups - had faster declines in cognitive abilities and accelerated shrinking of the hippocampus. Levels of ferritin were also a linked to a greater likelihood of people with mild cognitive impairment developing Alzheimer's. Their data contained some other interesting takeaways: The researchers found higher levels of ferritin corresponded to earlier ages for diagnoses - roughly three months for every 1 nanogram per millilitre increase. They also found that people with the APOE-e4 gene variant, which is known to be the strongest genetic risk factor for the disease, had the highest levels of iron in their brains."
"..."Lowering CSF ferritin, as might be expected from a drug like deferiprone, could conceivably delay mild cognitive impairment conversion to Alzheimer's disease by as much as three years," the team wrote."

Vitamin E and aspirin are two extremely effective ways of lowering iron levels in both tissues and brain. With that in mind, it is not surprising that both vitamin E and aspirin showed promise in treating Alzheimer's.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270708.php
http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/news/20 ... alzheimers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pill.html

Philomath

Why do they always seem to use alpha-tocepherol acetate in these studies? Is it cheaper? More common? If they used a mixed tocepherol would the outcomes be better? As considered through the Peat prism?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why do they always seem to use alpha-tocepherol acetate in these studies? Is it cheaper? More common? If they used a mixed tocepherol would the outcomes be better? As considered through the Peat prism?

Much, much cheaper than pure tocopherol and it also lasts longer. It has about 50% less tocopherol activity than pure tocopherol.

NathanK

Vitamin E and aspirin are two extremely effective ways of lowering iron levels in both tissues and brain. With that in mind, it is not surprising that both vitamin E and aspirin showed promise in treating Alzheimer's.
Vitamin E may combat functional decline from Alzheimer's disease
I've been dealing with high iron for years now. My family has a history of high iron and Parkinson's (very northern european thing). I was completely shocked this week when I got my anemia panel back. I started taking Mitolipin 3 weeks earlier and my ferritin halved to 149 from over 300 in the past. Serum iron was cut to 50 (range starts at 45) even though I had an serum iron test done right before starting my new supps and it was 111. My saturation % was considered "low" in the lab ranges at 15% (20% was the cut off). I've taken Vit E before, but did not expect or intend this result. The only other thing I could think that could have assisted in this drop was the DMSO in Melanon and Progestene (I played sparingly with P around the time I started Mitolipin).

I'm not 100% sure if this is great, but it seems like a good thing if I knew what caused this. Maybe the high Vit E content of Mitolipin or possibly the added progesterone (my labs 3 weeks earlier showed my P was at the bottom of the range at .4). Neither aspirin, coffee, or dairy heavy diet has had much of an effect on my iron or ferritin in the past. This was my first ever full iron panel though.

In other related labs, my CRP was .7 (.2 higher than it was 2 years ago, but w/i the 0-1 range) and ESR was at 9 (range of 0-9), which was lower than my pre Peating 28 I had about 3 years ago. My liver enzymes have always been very low (AST @ 17). Whatever I did had some crazy effects.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've been dealing with high iron for years now. My family has a history of high iron and Parkinson's (very northern european thing). I was completely shocked this week when I got my anemia panel back. I started taking Mitolipin 3 weeks earlier and my ferritin halved to 149 from over 300 in the past. Serum iron was cut to 50 (range starts at 45) even though I had an serum iron test done right before starting my new supps and it was 111. My saturation % was considered "low" in the lab ranges at 15% (20% was the cut off). I've taken Vit E before, but did not expect or intend this result. The only other thing I could think that could have assisted in this drop was the DMSO in Melanon and Progestene (I played sparingly with P around the time I started Mitolipin).

I'm not 100% sure if this is great, but it seems like a good thing if I knew what caused this. Maybe the high Vit E content of Mitolipin or possibly the added progesterone (my labs 3 weeks earlier showed my P was at the bottom of the range at .4). Neither aspirin, coffee, or dairy heavy diet has had much of an effect on my iron or ferritin in the past. This was my first ever full iron panel though.

In other related labs, my CRP was .7 (.2 higher than it was 2 years ago, but w/i the 0-1 range) and ESR was at 9 (range of 0-9), which was lower than my pre Peating 28 I had about 3 years ago. My liver enzymes have always been very low (AST @ 17). Whatever I did had some crazy effects.

Wow, that is a pretty big drop of ferritin. It's probably one of the supplements and maybe it's MitoLipin. The DMSO in MelaNon and Progestene does not have that strong of an iron lowering effect. So, probably the vitamin E in MitoLipin is what's doing this. It would be great if you isolate the effect somehow going forward. I think lower iron is good, provided copper is sufficient. Have you had copper and ceruloplasmin tested?

NathanK

Wow, that is a pretty big drop of ferritin. It's probably one of the supplements and maybe it's MitoLipin. The DMSO in MelaNon and Progestene does not have that strong of an iron lowering effect. So, probably the vitamin E in MitoLipin is what's doing this. It would be great if you isolate the effect somehow going forward. I think lower iron is good, provided copper is sufficient. Have you had copper and ceruloplasmin tested?
I was thinking the DMSO may have had an effect maybe due to lowering some inflammation, but was more inclined to credit Mitolipin for the lion's share of the drop. I had my magnesium, copper and zinc tested days before starting those supplements, but not ceruloplasmin. I was thinking of having these retested with an anemia panel again, ceruloplasmin, B12, and folate in a month or so.

Done days prior to supplementation:
Copper: 110 (70-175)
Zinc (plasma): 100 (60-130)
Serum Mg: 2.2 (1.6-2.2) Unchanged from last year
Iron, serum: 111 (38-169)

Other interesting changes I saw:
-My neurophils increased while lymphocites increased, which I think was effected because my -HCT and HG dropped somewhat due to lower iron. They were higher end of range anyway.
-My A1C dropped from 5.4 to 5.2 (glucose stayed the same ~87).
-CO2 since Peating had gone down to ~24 and increased to 29.
-LDH: 142 (121-224 range). Nice to see for my first time checking
-Though I've been taking a couple drops of Kuinone a day, I noticed a bruise before they drew my labs and the puncture spot where they drew blood still hasn't healed since last Friday. I haven't been taking aspirin like I did prior to supplementation, but the mitolipin and limited progestene may still be thinning my blood too much. That reminds me, I've been attempting to apply topical DHEA with vodka or fractionated C.O. on days when I take progestene, but I don't think I've gotten it dissolved enough or correctly to have had much effect.

Last edited:

supernature

You present very few iron biomarkers, so its hard to say for certain but i guess indicatively should looks like so:
serum Iron drops from 111 to 50 after 3 weeks on suppl,
TS is 15% after 3 weeks suppl - we could assume it could be 2-3 x higher before start suppl, lets say: 33%
Ferritin is 149, so if we say 2-2.5 x drop after 3 weeks on suppl, it should have been b/w 350-400 before that.
serum Iron after 3 weeks suppl is 50 and your TS is 15%, so TIBC should be 335, which makes UIBC of 285 after 3 weeks suppl.
serum Iron before suppl 111 and TS of around 33% should make TIBC around 330 and UIBC around 220 before suppl.

It seems in just 3 weeks the serum Iron have dropped > 2 x, ferritin dropped > 2 x, TS dropped 2 x, TIBC increased a little and UIBC increased as well.
The unbound-unsaturated iron in transferrin has increased - (i.e. the free and unusable iron thats not bound to transferrin).

This are of course serum values i.e. extracellular, so if they drop, where the extra iron goes if its not taken out of the system via phlebotomy or not present high urine iron elimination.

NathanK

You present very few iron biomarkers, so its hard to say for certain but i guess indicatively should looks like so:
serum Iron drops from 111 to 50 after 3 weeks on suppl,
TS is 15% after 3 weeks suppl - we could assume it could be 2-3 x higher before start suppl, lets say: 33%
Ferritin is 149, so if we say 2-2.5 x drop after 3 weeks on suppl, it should have been b/w 350-400 before that.
serum Iron after 3 weeks suppl is 50 and your TS is 15%, so TIBC should be 335, which makes UIBC of 285 after 3 weeks suppl.
serum Iron before suppl 111 and TS of around 33% should make TIBC around 330 and UIBC around 220 before suppl.

It seems in just 3 weeks the serum Iron have dropped > 2 x, ferritin dropped > 2 x, TS dropped 2 x, TIBC increased a little and UIBC increased as well.
The unbound-unsaturated iron in transferrin has increased - (i.e. the free and unusable iron thats not bound to transferrin).

This are of course serum values i.e. extracellular, so if they drop, where the extra iron goes if its not taken out of the system via phlebotomy or not present high urine iron elimination.
Your deduction is about right. I figured iron saturation, serum iron, and ferritin pretty much sumed it up and others werent necessary since my general inflammation labs pretty much eliminated any serious chronic disease.

Im guessing i excreted the excess since ferritin is the marker used for intracellular stores when biopsies arent feasible. Haidut posted a paper last year where researchers gathered a rough estimation of liver iron stores by dividing ferritin by AST enzyme lab, iirc. Below 10 was desirable and above 17 was the threshhold for iron overload. The one possibility ive considered is my ferritin was partly high due to some chronic inflammation and the DMSO helped to lower the inflammation. Just another possibility though.

This was the first iron panel ive had done. Ive had serum iron and ferritin done every year the past few with little result lowering those values. I need to buy another bottle of mitolipin soon and will have more thorough labs done after that is completed to see more permanence. Though probably not likely, we still cant count out lab error.
Screenshot_2016-06-07-15-09-09-01.jpeg

supernature

Im guessing i excreted the excess since ferritin is the marker used for intracellular stores when biopsies arent feasible. Haidut posted a paper last year where researchers gathered a rough estimation of liver iron stores by dividing ferritin by AST enzyme lab, iirc. Below 10 was desirable and above 17 was the threshhold for iron overload. The one possibility ive considered is my ferritin was partly high due to some chronic inflammation and the DMSO helped to lower the inflammation. Just another possibility though.

I havent got chance to read the paper but had seen the talk on the ratio, however did that now:
Biomarker for liver iron overload
(the study says ferritin > 2000 ug/L, in the thread it appeared mg/L - i guess due pasting) and while its not > 2000 mg/L , pretty sure this is the threshold for hemochromatosis and not some norm as well even as if its > 1000 ug/L i've read, as well as the formula they've came up with. They also reported all patients had ferritin > 300 ug/L

"The ferritin/AST ratio is above 10. It is below 17 so no toxicity yet, but a ratio of over 10 seems to indicate well above average hepatic iron stores."

If we take the upper range for AST of 35, to get ratio of 10, that accounts ferritin of 350, to get ratio of 17, that accounts ferritin of 600 ...
if you take slightly lower AST number of 22 and ferritin of 200 thats just below 10, so i guess they came up with quite roughly measures of what should not be, never say where optimal values should be, why not 1.5-2 : 1, which is way below 10.

This was the first iron panel ive had done. Ive had serum iron and ferritin done every year the past few with little result lowering those values. I need to buy another bottle of mitolipin soon and will have more thorough labs done after that is completed to see more permanence. Though probably not likely, we still cant count out lab error.

Iron can be stored in ferritin, apoferritin, hemosiderin inside cell and also inside mitochondria, so not necessarily available for measuring even though some markers are getting lower, not so clear where the efflux actually goes, as you report of taking substances aiding in cell membrane fluidity, so probably while on protocol would be best to measure 24h urine iron, copper, so to tell has it being excreted or just changing the state-place in the tissues.

Antonello

How much mitolipin were you applying at that time? Also you didn't mentioned if that drop in iron made you feel better or worse.

NathanK

How much mitolipin were you applying at that time? Also you didn't mentioned if that drop in iron made you feel better or worse.
I was doing the normal dose. I think that was 40 drops, which I rubbed most on my stomach. I think I felt relatively the same. In hindsight, I think the bulk of the lowered iron was from my increased activity/exercise and a combination of some other run-of-the-mill peaty supps.

NewACC

Ray has written several times about the dangers of excess iron and its relation to neurodegenerative conditions. He also routinely recommends measuring ferritin and transferrin as more accurate way of assessing iron status.
It seems that some people in Australia exhibit proper cognitive function and propose treating Alzheimer's with iron chelating drugs. Perhaps more importantly, they propose using levels of ferritin as a biomarker predicting Alzheimer's risk and disease progression.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/15051 ... s7760.html
http://www.sciencealert.com/high-iron-l ... -s-disease

"...Existing drugs that reduce brain iron levels could stop the disease in its tracks. High levels of iron in the brain could increase the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and hasten the cognitive decline that comes with it, new research suggests. The results of the study, which tracked the brain degeneration of people with Alzheimer's over a seven-year period, suggest it might be possible to halt the disease with drugs that reduce iron levels in the brain. "We think that iron is contributing to the disease progression of Alzheimer's disease," neuroscientist Scott Ayton, from the University of Melbourne in Australia, told Anna Salleh at ABC Science. "This is strong evidence to base a clinical trial on lowering iron content in the brain to see if that would impart a cognitive benefit."
"...At the beginning of the study, the researchers determined the patients' brain iron levels by measuring the amount of ferritin in the cerebrospinal fluid around the brain. Ferritin is a protein that stores and releases iron. The researchers did regular tests and MRI scans to track cognitive decline and changes in the brain over the study period. They found that people with higher levels of ferritin - in all groups - had faster declines in cognitive abilities and accelerated shrinking of the hippocampus. Levels of ferritin were also a linked to a greater likelihood of people with mild cognitive impairment developing Alzheimer's. Their data contained some other interesting takeaways: The researchers found higher levels of ferritin corresponded to earlier ages for diagnoses - roughly three months for every 1 nanogram per millilitre increase. They also found that people with the APOE-e4 gene variant, which is known to be the strongest genetic risk factor for the disease, had the highest levels of iron in their brains."
"..."Lowering CSF ferritin, as might be expected from a drug like deferiprone, could conceivably delay mild cognitive impairment conversion to Alzheimer's disease by as much as three years," the team wrote."

Vitamin E may combat functional decline from Alzheimer's disease
Hello @haidut , I understand that your post is very old and most likely you will not see my message, but still I am very interested in whether you have lost causality in iron research. What I mean is that however reactive free form iron is, it is absolutely indispensable and just infinitely functional. Even mild iron deficiency, which can be VERY EASILY gotten by young people, immersed in the study of Ray Peet's ideas, which abruptly switch to an almost all-dairy diet, along with large doses of aspirin and vitamin E, actually even causes OXIDATIVE STRESS, neurodegeneration, dopamine dysfunction, hypothyroidism, the lack of androgens / progesterone. So why am I talking about this? So maybe the problem is not the level of iron itself, although its excess is clearly TERRIBLY BAD, but a severe deficiency of various "antioxidants", such as excess PUFA, exposure to xenoestrogens / heavy metals, lack of CO2, hypothyroidism, lack of vitamin E, taurine, zinc , copper, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, various polyphenols, apigenin / naringenin, which would allow iron to do its job without oxidative stress and damage. So perhaps, although iron is the MAIN CAUSE, it would be wiser to maintain adequate iron levels with a just some "antioxidant support" and significant PUFA depletion?

TeslaFan

Hello @haidut , I understand that your post is very old and most likely you will not see my message, but still I am very interested in whether you have lost causality in iron research. What I mean is that however reactive free form iron is, it is absolutely indispensable and just infinitely functional. Even mild iron deficiency, which can be VERY EASILY gotten by young people, immersed in the study of Ray Peet's ideas, which abruptly switch to an almost all-dairy diet, along with large doses of aspirin and vitamin E, actually even causes OXIDATIVE STRESS, neurodegeneration, dopamine dysfunction, hypothyroidism, the lack of androgens / progesterone. So why am I talking about this? So maybe the problem is not the level of iron itself, although its excess is clearly TERRIBLY BAD, but a severe deficiency of various "antioxidants", such as excess PUFA, exposure to xenoestrogens / heavy metals, lack of CO2, hypothyroidism, lack of vitamin E, taurine, zinc , copper, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, various polyphenols, apigenin / naringenin, which would allow iron to do its job without oxidative stress and damage. So perhaps, although iron is the MAIN CAUSE, it would be wiser to maintain adequate iron levels with a just some "antioxidant support" and significant PUFA depletion?

+1

Also, wanted to bring this into perspective. What we mean when we say "iron" in the context of human biochemistry?
Are we talking about an iron-dependent enzyme (a small protein that envelops Fe ion in its structure), or a free floating ion of iron -- which is a heavy metal, causing oxidative cascade?

Context is essential. If body is not making a mineral-based enzyme properly, then feeding more of the "low" mineral will only do more damage. That mineral has to be low because it cannot be utilized properly, i.e., embedded into a protein.
Iron outside of a functional enzyme is just a heavy metal. Same problem with Copper: people low in Cu take more supplement Cu and get worse because Ceruloplasmin is low - body is not making enough.

Dave Clark

Phytic acid is frowned upon in the Peat world, but using phytic acid, aka IP-6, on an empty stomach away from food, will chelate free, unbound iron safely.
Phytic acid in foods or bran should be distinguished from supplemental phytic acid, which is derived from rice bran extract. In foods, phytic acid binds to iron and other minerals in the digestive tract and may interfere with mineral absorption. As a purified extract of rice bran, taken between meals so it will not bind to minerals in the digestive tract, phytic acid is readily absorbed into the bloodstream, where it acts as a potent mineral chelator. [33] Phytic acid binds to any free iron or other minerals (even heavy metals such as mercury, lead and cadmium) in the blood, which are then eliminated through the kidneys. Phytic acid removes only excess or unbound minerals, not mineral ions already attached to proteins.
I know that some view it as a gut irritant, but I have not seen any science to prove that IP-6 has that problem, it becomes conflated speculation with phytic acid among so called experts.

cs3000

yeah its on option for these people but a good question is why is there overload in the brain in the first place for them, & why isnt it protected enough

iron deficiency is the most common deficiency on the planet. there's so many common things that chelate iron.
and it takes forever to increase again orally. its hard to raise levels through diet for most people
when you have too little iron in the brain good luck.
your dopamine function goes to sh*t, d2 receptors tank, a2a receptors sensitivity increases (same thing that happens with chronic caffeine use that gives extra baseline tiredness when it wears off), REM sleep dysfunction destroys deep sleep which can stick around, mitochondria function drops, thymus atrophies & immunity suffers, myelin repair struggles so theres more nerve & brain damage, etc

Last edited:

Dave Clark

According to Boyd Haley, mercury will displace iron and copper in the brain {and in every cell}, causing it to be 'free' iron, thus catalyzing the Fenton reaction. so, he claims the damage in the brain is oxidative damage done by the iron in its free form, when it forms hydroxyl radicals, not bound iron that is being utilized properly by the cells. Mercury is in everybody to a degree, and it crossed the BBB, so to me it makes sense that Hg could be the weasel in the woodpile, not iron directly. Just by lowering iron consumption or intake is not going to stop the problem. Gas is fine in your car when it is used to run your engine, not good when it is 'on' your car and ignited, one analogy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals