Another batch of Ray Peat's radio interviews have been posted. Volunteers are needed to transcribe short 5 minute segments. Click here to help!

PUFA Detox

Ray Peat general discussion.
Birdie

PUFA Detox

Unread postby Birdie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 pm

You want the PUFAs to stay in the cells and not be released into circulation so they can be slowly detoxed by the liver.

This ^^ is a quote that I wrote on an index card last March 1. I think it is a quote from one of the interviews. I didn't note which one. Sorry about that.

Then, I wrote this which cut off at the end:
You can restore oxidative metabolism with PUFA in your tissues but any stress will probably release PUFA unless....

Well, I've been thinking about pufa storage and how we get rid of them.
Glad to find this info on one of my cards that I unpacked today. I have a lot of good stuff on cards. :)

Does anybody know how Peat says pufas might not be released during stress? High blood levels of what would aid? Niacinamide? Vit E? Sugar? All of these and more?

Charlie
Admin
Admin

Re: PUFA Detox

Unread postby Charlie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Great thread Birdie.

j.

Unread postby j. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Birdie wrote:Does anybody know how Peat says pufas might not be released during stress? High blood levels of what would aid? Niacinamide? Vit E? Sugar? All of these and more?

I'm guessing aspirin diminishes the damage when they are released.

Related threat at peatarian: PUFAs in The Bloodstream

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 pm

j. wrote:
Birdie wrote:Does anybody know how Peat says pufas might not be released during stress? High blood levels of what would aid? Niacinamide? Vit E? Sugar? All of these and more?

Thanks, j. My search didn't come up with that. Well, it was a brief search.

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Birdie wrote:
j. wrote:

Thanks, j. My search didn't come up with that. Well, it was a brief search.

Oh, I was thinking it was a thread by peatarian, here! Thanks again. Found it.

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm

From Rob at functionalps:

“‎The larger the quantity of “toxic fat” stored in the body, the more careful the person must be about increasing metabolic and physical activity. Using more vitamin E, short-chain saturated fats, and other anti-lipid-peroxidation agents is important.” Ray Peat

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Birdie wrote:From Rob at functionalps:

“‎The larger the quantity of “toxic fat” stored in the body, the more careful the person must be about increasing metabolic and physical activity. Using more vitamin E, short-chain saturated fats, and other anti-lipid-peroxidation agents is important.” Ray Peat

I found this via j's link to peatarian.com. Thanks again. A friend, Amy's first idea was niacinamide, and then vit E.

Glad there is a way.

Dorito Loyalist

Unread postby Dorito Loyalist » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Would CO2 have any significant protective effect?
Fight for what you believe in.

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:21 am

You would think so ^^ .

Here's another quote from Rob's group of them:
“People with a significant amount of fat in their body, who have in the past eaten foods containing vegetable oils, are likely to draw unsaturated fats out of storage, with toxic effects unless vitamin E, thyroid, and coconut oil are used protectively until tissue stores of unsaturated fats are depleted. Typically, body stores of fat take four years to completely reflect the change to a different type of dietary fat.” RP

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 am

Another, same source:
Keeping the stored unsaturated fats from circulating in the blood is helpful, since it takes years to eliminate them from the tissues after the diet has changed. Niacinamide inhibits lipolysis. Avoiding overproduction of lipolytic adrenaline requires adequate thyroid hormone, and the adjustment of the diet to minimize fluctuations of blood sugar.” RP

Niacinamide again to keep the stored PUFs from circulating so they can be detoxed by the liver. Adrenaline also is lipolytic. Thyroid hormone and eating frequently (the right foods) to keep the blood sugar level.

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:39 am

“When we don’t eat for many hours, our glycogen stores decrease, and adrenaline secretion is increased, liberating more glucose as long as glycogen is available, but also liberating fatty acids from the fatty tissues. RP

Nasty adrenaline liberating fatty acids that we want to keep in the cells while the liver slowly detoxes. Long periods of fasting don't look helpful with pufa detox.

Charlie
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Charlie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 am

Sometimes I wonder when I wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break if I should grab something real quick to top off my glycogen stores.

Awesome thread.

jyb

Unread postby jyb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Birdie wrote:From Rob at functionalps:

So, RP says it takes 4 years when is storage is high. But what about thin people? I'm hypo yet have always been slim, no matter how much and how bad I eat.

kiran

Unread postby kiran » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm

jyb wrote:So, RP says it takes 4 years when is storage is high. But what about thin people? I'm hypo yet have always been slim, no matter how much and how bad I eat.

That depends. Are you lean or are you skinny fat?
You might be able to estimate body fat by using a calculator like this one:
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator. ... y-Fat-Navy

I've always been skinny fat myself.

Birdie

Unread postby Birdie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Charlie wrote:Sometimes I wonder when I wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break if I should grab something real quick to top off my glycogen stores.

Awesome thread.

Yes, a lot of people do this. And, too:
Salt, which helps to maintain blood sugar, also tends to lower adrenalin. RP
TSH, Temp, pulse rate and other indicators in Hypothyroidism. 2007.

Return to “General Discussion”