Ray Peat On Sprouted Grains

OP
Westside PUFAs
Have you tried Manna Bread ? They are made without yeast. It tastes more like cake than bread!

Oh my universe, no I haven't! Thank you for that! Looks like Ezekiel on crack! Great ingredients! They make rye which is rare. Flourless breads make for better blood sugar. The reason I've never seen these in WF is because they are in the frozen section. I'll buy some today.

schultz

Soy and lentils in bread? No thanks!

I used to make a good traditional sourdough with a long rise. I ground the wheat at home and sifted it and all that stuff. You can buy sprouted wheat berries for this. The whole thing was a big process and you had to keep the mother culture alive and all that. Eventually I gave it up in favour of fruit to make life simple, but I've recently been thinking of trying it out again because my wife wants it... Hard to argue with women :blackeye:

She eats very healthy and has given us 2 healthy children so maybe she deserves a little bit of sprouted sourdough in her life. Food should be enjoyed.

Context:

people call the radio show asking Peat questions about certain foods and supplements. Someone asks him about sprouts and Peat says they can be good nutrition like leaves.

This does not mean that Peat recommends to eat sprouted grains. Bearing everything else in mind, he actively recommends consuming milk and fruit (and cheese) and if for whatever reason you can't access them, then you can consume starch and leaves and sprouts as inferior but nutritious alternatives.

mt_dreams

Soy and lentils in bread? No thanks!

Not sure if there are different kinds, but the manna bread I've tried in the past was made with just sprouted wheat & carrots & raisins or dates (i cannot remember which one). There was no soy or beans. It's moist, which makes it a different experience compared to conventional bread.

mt_dreams

Context:

people call the radio show asking Peat questions about certain foods and supplements. Someone asks him about sprouts and Peat says they can be good nutrition like leaves.

This does not mean that Peat recommends to eat sprouted grains.

Due to the nature of how Ray communicates, or rather answers questions, I don't think we should group his answers to questions be it email or interview, in the same group as his written articles/books/newsletters. . If anything, the only thing this signifies is that unlike PUFA, he believes someone has the potential to be healthy even if they eat starch. Looking at his written work, it would appear he believes other carb sources have the potential to be better sources.

Due to the nature of how Ray communicates, or rather answers questions, I don't think we should group his answers to questions be it email or interview, in the same group as his written articles/books/newsletters. . If anything, the only thing this signifies is that unlike PUFA, he believes someone has the potential to be healthy even if they eat starch. Looking at his written work, it would appear he believes other carb sources have the potential to be better sources.

It doesn't matter what medium Peat uses to communicate his ideas. What matters is the ideas.

The only affect of the medium is to curtail his ability elaborate: in an article or book he can expand on his ideas with greater context, in a 10 second audio interview he can only give a snippet of an answer.

schultz

Context:

This does not mean that Peat recommends to eat sprouted grains. Bearing everything else in mind, he actively recommends consuming milk and fruit (and cheese) and if for whatever reason you can't access them, then you can consume starch and leaves and sprouts as inferior but nutritious alternatives.

I think you nailed it. Things like sprouted grain sourdough bread or nixtimilized corn can be okay nutrition, but certainly not optimal. Some of us are trying to achieve optimal and some of us are just trying to be reasonably healthy. Ray tends to talk about optimal sometimes and other times he is talking about "pretty good". I think one factor to not overlook is happiness/enjoyment. If you feel restricted with your food choices and that makes you stressed/unhappy, that is problem. Personally I can eat fruit and dairy all day/everyday but my wife likes things like chips, for example, so she has coconut oil chips. It's not an optimal choice but it's better than the PUFA laden crap. If a slice of sprouted bread helps people stay happy and healthy on a "Peat-ish" diet then it should be embraced and not scorned.

Westside has been going on about traditional people's being healthy on starch based diets, which is true.

Cantstop made a point that he doesn't want to try to live to 90 or 100 but achieve something greater and fine tuned. Maybe 130 or 140 years old. Is it possible? Maybe.

I think both of these are solid points.

I would add to this that as a physiologist, and a general biologist, Peat studies how the body works.

When he studies hormones and nutrition, he isn't taking notes and saying "eating sprouts will extend the body's lifespan by 50 years whereas eating fruit will extend it by 100 years". He's studying how the machinery of our body works, and realizing that if it gets certain foods/supplements/hormones/chemicals it can run dramatically longer, and longer still as our understanding and synthesis of foodstuffs/supplements develops over time. This approach naturally lends itself to results that dramatically extend our lifespan.

Read his books -- he's talking about delaying puberty and extending the physical and mental characteristics of current childhood. He's talking about the next step in our evolution. His ideas are like something out of a sci-fi novel. Contrast to this to people like Westside who go around looking at the history of what people ate and hope to find clues to "health". The two paradigms are completely different, worse still is claiming the latter as "Peating".

A small subset of his recommendations factor in the economic reality of some individuals striving for good nutrition, like his comments about starch, leaves and sprouts. But that's all they are: recommendations for keeping your body running with however little you have available.

I would add to this that as a physiologist, and a general biologist, Peat studies how the body works.

When he studies hormones and nutrition, he isn't taking notes and saying "eating sprouts will extend the body's lifespan by 50 years whereas eating fruit will extend it by 100 years". He's studying how the machinery of our body works, and realizing that if it gets certain foods/supplements/hormones/chemicals it can run dramatically longer, and longer still as our understanding and synthesis of foodstuffs/supplements develops over time. This approach naturally lends itself to results that dramatically extend our lifespan.

Read his books -- he's talking about delaying puberty and extending the physical and mental characteristics of current childhood. He's talking about the next step in our evolution. His ideas are like something out of a sci-fi novel. Contrast to this to people like Westside who go around looking at the history of what people ate and hope to find clues to "health". The two paradigms are completely different, worse still is claiming the latter as "Peating".

:handok:

milk_lover

A small subset of his recommendations factor in the economic reality of some individuals striving for good nutrition, like his comments about starch, leaves and sprouts. But that's all they are: recommendations for keeping your body running with however little you have available.

Fantastic stuff, cantstoppeating! Paleo and low carb are prime examples of when people look at the history of what people ate while ignoring how the body actually works and see how dangerous these approaches can be.

Lightbringer

Oh my universe, no I haven't! Thank you for that! Looks like Ezekiel on crack! Great ingredients! They make rye which is rare. Flourless breads make for better blood sugar. The reason I've never seen these in WF is because they are in the frozen section. I'll buy some today.
Rye would be very bland though. If i remember, the one with dates is what I remember to be like eating cake.

answersfound

Josh Rubin mentioned Ezekiel bread in one of his meal examples, so that means it's okay.

tara

I don't see why one has to exclude either method. Both the basic science and the braoder empirical view can add to the store of relevant knowledge.
A good theory is coherent and consistent with the data. Without data, a theory is a bit meaningless. And vice versa.

I think it's quite reasonable for westside to point out that x population at lots of starch and mostly lived to a ripe old age. It doesn't prove that starch is optimal for anyone or everyone, but it does show that health can be compatible with starch-eating, at least in some contexts (which Peat has said too). This data doesn't negate Peat's views that sugar has some advantages over starch, particularly for some conditions.

heartnhands

"Sprouts are basically good nutrition like leaves" - RP

Ezekiel Bread FTW. The raisin one tastes best.

What about the dynamic RP mentioned about micro particles of starch that escape intestine an clog small blood vessels? I'm wondering how to detox all of that sort of stuff as I have varicosities that I'd like to heal.

L

lollipop

:clap: Such a balanced perspective...

OP
Westside PUFAs
Contrast to this to people like Westside who go around looking at the history of what people ate and hope to find clues to "health". The two paradigms are completely different, worse still is claiming the latter as "Peating".

Um, Peat also talks of countless examples of what a person or a group of people did too. In almost every audio interview he says "I know a person who did this" or "a researcher studied these people." Like the Filipino woman who cooked two different meals for her and her husband everyday and she used coconut oil for her meals, when he said the arctic explorer said the Eskimos didn't look healthy in response to keto, when he said that the people of New Guinea did not have protein deficiency, when he said that he noticed differences between one group of Euro's who drank milk and ones who didn't when he was there, he does it all the time. That's not all I do to find "clues." What a weird way to put it. It's called observation. I don't look at "the history" of what people ate, I look at what people eat.

He's talking about the next step in our evolution.

A little far fetched because evolution happens very slowly. Like extremely slowly. I think a better way to put it is he's talking about how the body prefers to function as opposed to how it's forced to function by poor choices willingly or by lack of knowledge.

Last edited: