How To Eat Mushrooms?

milk_lover

Canned mushrooms a good idea?

Anyone know if canned mushrooms would be hydrazine free? I'm too lazy for all this preparation.
As far as I know, the canning process involves pressure cooking.
I am eating canned mushrooms with water and salt as the only ingredients and I am still alive :) I think it's very practical and I am hoping it's doing more good than bad. Some canned mushroom brands have citric acid in them. I wonder if they are ok to eat in peat goggles.

milk_lover

I forgot to mention the canned mushrooms I am eating are product of China.... so there is that.

RedLightMan

I am eating canned mushrooms with water and salt as the only ingredients and I am still alive :) I think it's very practical and I am hoping it's doing more good than bad. Some canned mushroom brands have citric acid in them. I wonder if they are ok to eat in peat goggles.
The citric acid containing cans aren't ideal.

It's added to increase acidity, which prevents growth of Botulinum (the heat-resistant bacteria responsible for neurotoxic Botulinum toxin). This means that manufacturers can simply boil the mushrooms at 100°c while canning, which is cheaper than pressure canning. I doubt they're doing it for enough time to eliminate the mushroom hydrazine toxin....Plus RP warns against citric acid as a chemical additive because of possible impurities.

The canned mushrooms with water and salt as the only ingredients would require pressure canning to reach 116-130 °C, which also kills Botulinum. This also destroys hydrazine at a higher rate. I'm sure that RP is in favour of canned foods generally in any case.

Basically:
  • Citric acid containing cans still contain hydrazine / require further boiling.
  • Salt+water only cans can be used right away.

tara

I'm sorry for the last post. too much sarcasm there. Anyway this thread got me thinking I need to make a shift to establish healthy yeast growth in my tummy.

However 'Reputable companies avoid making the statement that brewer’s yeast will improve digestion in the large intestine.' (from the article titled 'Feeding Yeast to Horses' by Eleanor Blazer)
So should I give it a go?
I don't think brewers yeast will re-establish fungl al colonies - it's dead, right?
Peat has sometimes recommended a hot water extract of brewers yeast against diabetes - not for anything else that I'm aware of. It has some useful water-soluble nutrients. There is also a fair bit of undesirable estrogen, but hopefully most of that stays in the discarded sediment.

milk_lover

The citric acid containing cans aren't ideal.

It's added to increase acidity, which prevents growth of Botulinum (the heat-resistant bacteria responsible for neurotoxic Botulinum toxin). This means that manufacturers can simply boil the mushrooms at 100°c while canning, which is cheaper than pressure canning. I doubt they're doing it for enough time to eliminate the mushroom hydrazine toxin....Plus RP warns against citric acid as a chemical additive because of possible impurities.

The canned mushrooms with water and salt as the only ingredients would require pressure canning to reach 116-130 °C, which also kills Botulinum. This also destroys hydrazine at a higher rate. I'm sure that RP is in favour of canned foods generally in any case.

Basically:
  • Citric acid containing cans still contain hydrazine / require further boiling.
  • Salt+water only cans can be used right away.
thank you bigjoe for the info!

milk_lover

No problem. Who would've thought that canned mushrooms are likely an ideal food.
One extra thing to stockpile in a survival bunker!
Yeah I bought today from the supermarket around 15 cans of them. One can has drained weight of 220g of mushroom. So if what Ray Peat said about the 3% protein (high quality) per 100g is true, one can will provide about 6.6g of protein, which could count toward your daily protein intake.

I get water shedding after consuming canned mushrooms which gives me assurance it's working. It might be due to its antiestrogenic effect.

keith

Anyone have any thoughts on pickled mushrooms? Would those go through the same canning process to make them reasonably safe? Seems like the added vinegar might be a beneficial addition for its anti-bacterial effects.

I'm +1 on the too lazy to cook mushrooms for 1-3 hours.

whit

Anyone have any thoughts on pickled mushrooms? Would those go through the same canning process to make them reasonably safe? Seems like the added vinegar might be a beneficial addition for its anti-bacterial effects.

I'm +1 on the too lazy to cook mushrooms for 1-3 hours.

I'm not sure about the commercial packing/pickling process but for ease of preparation we throw them into our bone both. They add complex flavor to the broth and get well cooked. We pull them out and freeze/refrigerate the excess for later. They taste incredible this way.

BobbyDukes

I have tried the mushrooms a few times now. Not sure I notice much from them.

People are giving the impression they can be eaten with anything, not eaten away from other foods (like the carrot and bamboo). That makes them versatile. Being Peat recommended, it can be helpful to have their type of fibre too, to help regularity. And apparently, they are an aromatase inhibitor. Did someone also say they are high in selenium? So they have a few things going for them.

In terms of my gut though, I notice way better effects from the carrot, so not sure I will continue with the mushrooms. Bamboo shoots are also good, and for me, are delicious in salt and vinegar.

Drareg

I have tried the mushrooms a few times now. Not sure I notice much from them.

People are giving the impression they can be eaten with anything, not eaten away from other foods (like the carrot and bamboo). That makes them versatile. Being Peat recommended, it can be helpful to have their type of fibre too, to help regularity. And apparently, they are an aromatase inhibitor. Did someone also say they are high in selenium? So they have a few things going for them.

In terms of my gut though, I notice way better effects from the carrot, so not sure I will continue with the mushrooms. Bamboo shoots are also good, and for me, are delicious in salt and vinegar.

I think the type of mushroom varies in effect. The flat cap I feel is better than button, portobello flatcap also is good but slightly more expensive.
The flat cap have a clear effect on bowel for me over button. Much less needed.

BobbyDukes

I think the type of mushroom varies in effect. The flat cap I feel is better than button, portobello flatcap also is good but slightly more expensive.
The flat cap have a clear effect on bowel for me over button. Much less needed.

That's useful to know, thanks :-D

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How to Eat Mushrooms by Blossom

With a fork
With a spoon
In the morning or afternoon
In a cup or in a bowl
When you are lounging or on the go
With some butter, milk and cheese
Made into a creamy soup if you please
Once a week or every day
Just boil them real good
And have them your favorite way.

lindsay

I LOVE mushrooms, but I do not think they digest easily. Then again, I haven't tried cooking them for hours the way some are here - that might do the trick for making them easier on digestion. I had a really bad experience with restaurant mushrooms a couple weeks ago - they were probably only sautéed in butter or Olive oil though.

That being said, my favorite way to eat them is to just cook them in broth of some kind and add some salt, pepper and butter. Always put more mushrooms than liquid for maximum tastiness :) After cooking them well - and here is the secret - add a good sized dollop of sour cream, stir it in and enjoy the deliciousness! Also, when it comes to veggies, I believe in paying more for better quality and lack of pesticides. So I would only ever eat organic mushrooms - preferably from a good local source. One of these days, I am going to get a Russian friend to teach me how to pick them in the forrest - it's a favorite pastime there and everybody knows which ones to eat, but I am terrified I would pick something toxic without learning from a pro.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
After cooking them well - and here is the secret - add a good sized dollop of sour cream, stir it in and enjoy the deliciousness!
Thanks for sharing your secret! I can't wait to try this out lindsay.

milk_lover

Since my canned mushrooms are product of China and listening to haidut's latest podcast, I am worried about the depleted uranium contamination risk :grumpy:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals