Calcium Carbonate Gives Me Indigestion

Tide

This is a topic that has interested me for a while.

I’ve read that Mittir, a forum memeber here, used slaked lime along with vinegar. I was curious if anyone knew how he dissolved and dosed this because he did it precisely due to the fact that eggshell calcium wasn’t well absorbed.

OP
ecstatichamster
If I take it with OJ on an empty stomach no problems. But I can’t eat for an hour or two afterwards. If I do, it gives me trouble for hours.

Tide

So egg shells are not a good Ca supplement?!

It seems like it’s highly dependent on the level of someone’s digestion. Since a lot of people here have bad digestion, it doesn’t seem to sit well for many. I’ve read that using vinegar with it can be effective and that possibly slaked lime + vinegar can be more effective. Not sure who else has tried it though

Pulstar

Has Ray ever mentioned any other form besides carbonate? He seems OK with magnesium malate (I read in one of the interviews or articles), so maybe there's a "second best" calcium option?

OP
ecstatichamster
I like oyster shell calcium which is second best to eggshell.

I can dissolve it in vinegar and make calcium acetate which I suppose may help as it's pH neutral.

olive

Dissolve calcium carbonate in vinegar then dilute with water. Consume with meals.

Pulstar

Dissolve calcium carbonate in vinegar then dilute with water. Consume with meals.
How much vinegar? Tea spoon? Half tea spoon? Even less? Maybe I should dilute with more water, I find it a bit too acidic. I have can of NOW calcium and according to their instructions 1 flat tea spoon is about 1.2 grams of calcium.
P.S. I really like calcium carbonate, good for mood and energy, but I also feel slight discomfort taking it.

tara

If I take it with OJ on an empty stomach no problems. But I can’t eat for an hour or two afterwards. If I do, it gives me trouble for hours.
So egg shells are not a good Ca supplement?!
Not to oversimplify :) - I figure it's got pros and cons like most things.
I don't use eggshells currently because I still haven't got any fine enough that I can tolerate it. But if I did, I'd probably try that instead of the other calcium carbonate I've been using (small - moderate quantities, still have a little oyster shell left).

I figure the pros include that from what I recall of Peat calcium carbonate is absorbed gradually through the digestive tract, rather than a massive hit at once when it's swallowed. I'm reluctant to overwhelm my system by flooding it with loads of calcium at once.

I think calcium carbonate would tend to neutralise stomach acid. So it could have an effect of reducing digestive power. Taking it away from meals, when much of the food has moved beyond the stomach, could avoid/reduce this issue?

AnonE

I'm actually the opposite, I find these supps have really helped lately especially with mild diarrhea. What could that be indicative of? High stomach acid?

E.g. the other day I actually resorted to Tums cause it was pretty rough, maybe too much caffeine + OJ and other liquids.

Amazoniac

BearWithMe

Maybie you are just eating too much of the calcium at once? I have tried probably every form of the calcium supplement on the market and every single one ruined my digestion when I took over 450mg of elemental calcium (1.3g of carbonate) at once.

Recommended dose for carbonate is usually 1.7g and for me, this is ridiculously high.

In lower doses, calcium actually improves my digestion.

What is your dose, ecstatichamster? :):

If lowering the dose doesn't help, you might try Calcium Hydroxiapatite. It is basically milled bones and I think it is as good as carbonate. Other forms of calcium (citrate, lactate...) sucks big time - stay away from these.

Last edited:

AnonE

@Amazoniac I found this supplement which is a 1:1 mix Ca:Mg of Bisglycinate: Trophic Calcium Magnesium Chelazome 1:1

But IMO the problem is this is such a low dosage for Ca (75mg elemental Ca per capsule). I need like 10+ to get somewhere. So I've been going with a more generic but higher dose (and hopefully OK quality) Ca supp: Mega Cal™ Calcium

General question: what hormones would likely improve if one fixes a mild Ca deficiency? I've been doing 3+ grams of Ca per day the past week with food and supps, and my god my workout stamina has come back like I haven't felt in years! Ironically it reminds me of when I was younger trying to drink 2L of milk a day, though I stopped that a few years ago due to not tolerating milk that well (cheese is fine though).

I think there's something seriously great about calcium! And with D3+K2 I'm not so worried about it anymore like the mainstream would have you be.

OP
ecstatichamster
I have trouble with 500mg calcium carbonate, UNLESS I have an empty stomach for 90 minutes. Then it's okay.

I'd like to take 1000mg or 1500mg a day but can't right now.

I think calcium glycinate would work but I worry it would have heavy metals. Eggshell and oyster shell are quite low in heavy metals and I take this pretty steadily.

tara

Calcium is one of the reasons I eat leaves.