Can’t Get Rid Of Body Odor

Meathead

Hi, I’m a new member here and appreciate Ray Peat. I eat a high sat fat, high protein, sugar, and carbs. I’ve noticed for a long time now I have BO under my arms and it doesn’t smell great...

Anytime I take shilajit, activated charcoal, or deodorant with coconut oil in it I feel it gets worse...when I sweat in the sauna I notice some dark colors meaning some sort of heavy metals or something has accumulated in my body. Just wanna get rid of the stink and metals if that’s the case.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Inaut

I've found rubbing alcohol to be most effective for BO (specifically from the armpits). I pour some on a paper tower and wipe both armpits. Smell is gone almost all day. I do it again before the gym and its really quite shocking how effective it is.

OP
M

Meathead

I've found rubbing alcohol to be most effective for BO (specifically from the armpits). I pour some on a paper tower and wipe both armpits. Smell is gone almost all day. I do it again before the gym and its really quite shocking how effective it is.

Thank you, I will def try that for a short term solution. Now to figure out what’s underneath the skin that’s causing these issues.

Inaut

Focus on cleaning your liver out as well. That should take some load off your kidneys

baccheion

See if women (interested in men) detect the same foul odor. If they do not, it's likely related to androgens. If they do, maybe you're estrogenic or experiencing stress reactions? Does it smell like bromide? Magnesium is the body's natural deodorizer and magnesium oil spray can be used as a deodorant.

Are you giving yourself nutrient deficiencies? Fat-solubles? IIRC, vitamin A was associated with odor in some way. Also, high saturated fats assumes lower fat (<30%) overall.

OP
M

Meathead

See if women (interested in men) detect the same foul odor. If they do not, it's likely related to androgens. If they do, maybe you're estrogenic or experiencing stress reactions? Does it smell like bromide? Magnesium is the body's natural deodorizer and magnesium oil spray can be used as a deodorant.

Are you giving yourself nutrient deficiencies? Fat-solubles? IIRC, vitamin A was associated with odor in some way. Also, high saturated fats assumes lower fat (<30%) overall.

I’ll ask my gf and see what she thinks but my friend could smell it on me (male) the other day. Not sure what bromide is. I have mag oil topical but nothing has helped this. What do you mean giving myself nutrient deficiency? I do eat a lot of fat and tons of sugar from OJ, dried fruit, fruit, maple syrup, honey.

schultz

I ran across this article yesterday

Body odor changes following vaccination

Humans can probably literally smell when there is something wrong with another human. One way we get around that is by putting on perfumes and what not, which masks our scents, both good and bad ones (Yes, yes, that is obvious...)

They were talking a bit about urine in that article, which most likely doesn't apply to humans, but it would be interesting if having something like increased endotoxin load altered a persons body odour for the worse.

I use rubbing alcohol as well, but I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. In theory it might help preserve your natural scent as I imagine the alcohol is just killing bacteria on the underarms, bacteria which would create new smells by consuming things on the skin.

Yes, good idea. Ask some women (probably should be women you know... or not, lol, let's see how this plays out). My wife always thinks she smells bad but when I smell her she smells amazing. It annoys me that she wants to always get rid of that smell.

I saw a study that was titled something along the lines of "DHT changes body odor". I didn't read the study because I was looking for something else at the time.

Inaut

I just thought of this now. You could also try chlorophyll(in) as an internal deodorant. @Meathead

Jennifer

Hi, I’m a new member here and appreciate Ray Peat. I eat a high sat fat, high protein, sugar, and carbs. I’ve noticed for a long time now I have BO under my arms and it doesn’t smell great...

Anytime I take shilajit, activated charcoal, or deodorant with coconut oil in it I feel it gets worse...when I sweat in the sauna I notice some dark colors meaning some sort of heavy metals or something has accumulated in my body. Just wanna get rid of the stink and metals if that’s the case.

Any suggestions?
Are you digesting everything you eat well? Not sure if you're experiencing something similar but I've noticed over the years experimenting with different diets that my odor, or lack there of, depends on how well I digest a food and not to be gross but I suspect there is a bacterial component to it because the less my stools smell, the less I smell. My stools and underarms (the only place I've had an odor) are odorless (don't even need deodorant) with most plants, shellfish, eggs and collagen, a faint odor with land meat, particularly the higher in fat it is, and lots of coconut (pounds worth), and a more pronounced odor with dairy -- I don't digest dairy well at all. I've also noticed different scents based on the diet and supplements so for example -- my underarms smell slightly sweet or as someone has described it, like melon, on a fruitarian diet, and it took a year smelling like maple before I realized it was due to the herbal tinctures I was taking -- they contained fenugreek.

Liver is overwhelmed, pick your poison: too much sugar, too much fat, too much calories, or a specific reaction to foods. Many people I know STINK from dairy.

rei

Any suggestions?
Dude you describe quite a unique detail from my situation, the accumulated staining at "my spot" in the sauna. I believe the reason for this is stress hormones/fat oxidation which leads to change in composition of sweat. Previously i also had foamy urine which some say is also caused by this. I abuse the hell out of nicotine and caffeine, and they combined (or even one of them in the late hours of IF) often lead to serious adrenaline overload, cold extremities, cold sweat->BO.

I have found iodine topically to completely prevent the armpit smell as long as it has not been absorbed/washed away by sweat.

Nokoni

I can second this, only I use a spray bottle and put it on my feet too.

Aymen

i noticed less body odor from lowering iron rich foods in the diet, you can use baking soda instead of perfumes or deodorant or antiperspirants, the smell forms under the presence of bacteria and in stressful situations, baking soda can prevent the bacteria from developing under the armpits, and young people react neutral to the smell.

OP
M

Meathead

Liver is overwhelmed, pick your poison: too much sugar, too much fat, too much calories, or a specific reaction to foods. Many people I know STINK from dairy.
Could be all the above. It could be dairy. I never used to have it now I always have it. I’ll try and cut it for a little while. And I have been trying the alcohol it works for a little while. My gf can’t smell it but my friends can lol

OP
M

Meathead

I just thought of this now. You could also try chlorophyll(in) as an internal deodorant. @Meathead
I used to drink that stuff. Is it good for your body? Usually anything that chelates or gets rid of toxins makes me smell. I must have alot

kYgirl

I had body odor for years. I finally discovered it was caffeinated coffee that was the cause. Once I stopped drinking it, the odor disappeared. Makes me sad, I love coffee!

I have mild underarm body odor now but it isn't really noticeable compared to before when it could be very foul.
Things I have noticed contributing to its reduction.
After taking minocycline briefly (a week or so), it reduced.
Also it reduced after donating blood.
Also it is reduced when I take magnesium glycinate daily (usually 200mg a day is enough). (Saw magnesium mentioned in body odor context here: Magnesium, The Nutrient That Could Change Your Life: Chapter 17. Magnesium's Effect on Body Odors)

Any suggestions?

The solution is simple.

1) Shave or buzz your armpit hair.

2) Shower every morning and evening.

3) Smear sodium bicarbonate under your arms after each shower (while they are still wet) before putting your clothes on.

Sodium bicarbonate completely neutralizes body odour. You will never stink again if you do this every morning and every evening. Beware that sodium bicarbonate can bleach coloured shirts lighter over time. Best to wear a white under shirt and then your formal upper body clothing on top of that.

I haven't used toxic and useless conventional deodorants for years. You're welcome.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals