Clotting (Pulmonary Embolism, Dvt), Coumadin, Calcium Regulation, Going Forward

jaakkima

Hello :)

I recently had a major PE and DVT. As I write this, I am still in the hospital but soon to be released as they have me on coumadin and my clotting time is almost in range. I found various studies indicating rapid calcification of parts of arteries and heart valves on coumadin, and indicating vit K2 particularly as inhibiting these problems (and helping stabilize INR fluctuations). No doubt I would have to have a little extra care in experimenting with the K supplementation and tracking my clotting/coumadin.

Does anyone have wisdom of experience to share or ideas about how much vit K2 may be appropriate in the end? My coumadin dose is very high in order to get the INR right so I wonder if I will be more in danger of calcium problems based on my high dose. And is a high milk intake appropriate now? I am drinking at least a half gallon a day and feeling basically good with it but just concerned about whether before I take anti-calcification measures I am better off continuing that intake. Other advice?

I am 31 and have been Peating for 3.5 years with some ongoing improvements (coming from a ridiculously polyunsaturated and stressful past). I was taking 1-2 grams of aspirin when the clots went to my lungs, though I consider it possible that they had been happening in my legs for some time since I recall some times they had soreness. Overall, I am somewhat confused about what things I was doing "caused" the clots. My current idea is to scale back on some of the supplements I was taking. My experimenting with T3 could have messed me up somehow. I wasn't getting temp and pulse right. Oddly enough without any thyroid my temp and pulse in the hospital on their equipment has been better than it was with the T3 indicating I was doing something wrong. It is in the 98s consistently, pulse usually a little above 100 or in the 90s (lower than it has been for quite some time), seems to be coming down a bit; I could need more salt, sugar, magnesium and better nourishment than I've been getting while in the hospital.

I am hoping not to have to be on the medication for too long of course but they say at least 6 months. I glean from Ray's work that basic things, mitigating estrogen, gut issues that may be causing endotoxin and serotonin, etc (things from his clotting article and the heart and hormones article) are primary, so I will have to get some personal labs as soon as possible and see where that leads. Cascara is helping me a lot currently. I reordered pregnenolone since it always helped me and indeed it seems to be now. Coffee is also doing me very well. Without these things I was getting some heart arrhythmia. Could have had to do with some starch I ate the night before?

The studies on calcification/coumadin/vit K I looked at so far are listed in these articles
Has Your Doctor Recommended this "Life-Saving" Vitamin with Coumadin?
Vitamin K & Warfarin - Life Extension

Last edited:
OP
J

jaakkima

It was mostly milk (adding sugar), cottage cheese, oj, coffee, some soda, the carrot, baking soda for sodium, other miscellaneous things day to day, ice cream often nights.
Btw, I would probably focus on cooking things more if I had the ability but I am homeless and haven't had access to a kitchen for a very long time so pufa in everything limits me.

Last edited:
OP
J

jaakkima

They also said the CT scan they gave me showed diverticulosis. I have been struggling with gut issues for years. They have improved.