Epsom Salt Baths And Reabsorption Of Toxins

Velve921

Has anyone every heard the concept of toxins in an epsom salt bath being reabsorbed back into the skin after sitting in an epsom salt bath for 15 minutes? A woman told one of my athletes not to sit in an epsom salt bath longer than 15 minutes as toxins will be reabsorbed.

Let me know your thoughts.

Strongbad

I'm also interested in embarking into Epsom salt bathing.

What's the best duration? 10mins? 15mins? 20mins or they're irrelevant?
Is regular tap water (off the bath fountain) ok or do you use filtered water?
Can you do more than 1 epsom bath per day or can you do more? Will there be setbacks for having too many epsom baths per day?

OP
Velve921

Velve921

I typically do 30-60 minutes 1-7x a week, I've done as much as 2x a day before. I work with pro athletes and most of my guys do 3-5x a week with 1-4lbs per bath. Thus far I've never heard any negative feedback.

One of my players started doing 2 baths a day this past summer and swears by its effects.

mujuro

I'm a little dubious of the claim that toxins are drawn out of the body through the skin while bathing in magnesium salts. I have multiple per week. As far as I know, with 3 or 4 consecutive baths, it is the only effective way to raise your blood magnesium and keep it elevated for several days. From memory, it only requires 12 minutes of bathing time and 400g per bath. I'll see if I can find the study when I get home.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

That would be great!

Ive never heard anyone suggest dosage/time etc...,

I've just been adding pending the results....I wonder if pro athletes do so well with higher doses and time because of their activity and stress levels?

hmac

mujuro said:
post 119645 I'm a little dubious of the claim that toxins are drawn out of the body through the skin while bathing in magnesium salts. I have multiple per week. As far as I know, with 3 or 4 consecutive baths, it is the only effective way to raise your blood magnesium and keep it elevated for several days. From memory, it only requires 12 minutes of bathing time and 400g per bath. I'll see if I can find the study when I get home.

I'd also be very grateful if you could find the study!

I also second your skepticism about drawing out toxins. I think it is likely to have a detoxifying effect once absorbed and assimilated due to the sulfur but I can't imagine it acting directly from the bathwater.

Also, Ewlevy1 - and this is more conjecture, unfortunately - considering the absorption rates of topical vitamins, it seems to be the case that the majority is absorbed in the first 20 minutes after application. I'd guess it's a similar situation for Epsom salt baths, and there is probably a steeply diminishing return after spending about 20 minutes soaking.

Last edited by a moderator:

YuraCZ

It's BS.. I take very hot baths with magnesium chloride every other day now. Hot tap water is ok here. Because there is no fluoride and also no chlorine in hot water. But key here is not taking cold shower afterwards, because after hot bath (25-30 min) I have open pores, so you can absorb huge amounts of chlorine from cold water through the skin. Which is not good.. I would like to have infrared sauna for sweating at home. But for now hot baths are ok too. Especially now in the winter. Great for blood flow and detoxification through sweating.. Added magnesium is just a bonus..

RMH

The Dr. Hazel Parcells radiation cleansing bath (1lb epsom salt/mag crystals, 1lb baking soda, 30-45 minutes in hot water, no shower afterwards for several hours) has been popular in the Weston Price and a few other natural health communities for a long time. In regard to toxin/radiation removal I never found much science to back it up but as stated above serum levels of magnesium will definitely increase much faster transdermally. If there are concerns about chlorine/chloramine in the water a pinch of ascorbic acid crystal (Vitamin C) will neurtralize. http://www.sfwater.org/modules/showdocu ... entid=4125

messtafarian

Actually I'm more confused about toxins and "detoxifying." I don't think I've ever seen Ray use those words -- to me it's a word like "inflammation." What are these toxins? The body holds onto estrogen and PUFA in the fat cells but if you eat glyphosphate or something it goes into hepatic circulation and is filtered by the liver.

When someone says they have a MTHFR mutation and "can't detoxify" what that comes from is a lower amount of glutathione in the cells because folate metabolism is broken. There is nothing I've seen anywhere that states that "detoxifying"through baths or supplements replaces the action of glutathione in the cells, and there is very little published that's proven that even *eating* glutathione increases "detoxification.

Maybe it's beyond me but what makes more sense is that the absorption of more magnesium allows cells to create certain complexes they can't create without magnesium, for example acetylcholine. That can support cellular metabolism and *that* can help you detoxify. Sweating out "toxins" makes no sense to me.

RMH

Actually I'm more confused about toxins and "detoxifying." I don't think I've ever seen Ray use those words -- to me it's a word like "inflammation." What are these toxins? The body holds onto estrogen and PUFA in the fat cells but if you eat glyphosphate or something it goes into hepatic circulation and is filtered by the liver.

When someone says they have a MTHFR mutation and "can't detoxify" what that comes from is a lower amount of glutathione in the cells because folate metabolism is broken. There is nothing I've seen anywhere that states that "detoxifying"through baths or supplements replaces the action of glutathione in the cells, and there is very little published that's proven that even *eating* glutathione increases "detoxification.

Maybe it's beyond me but what makes more sense is that the absorption of more magnesium allows cells to create certain complexes they can't create without magnesium, for example acetylcholine. That can support cellular metabolism and *that* can help you detoxify. Sweating out "toxins" makes no sense to me.

In my opinion the word "toxin" has become a buzzword that's thrown around without much to back it up. Scientific studies have proven that low levels of substances like bpa, pesticides, etc. can be found in the adipose tissue of almost everyone including newborns. Like you stated above there's no clear mechanism that would signal the body to release any of these substances during a bath. Focusing on improving hepatic, renal and lymph function are definitely going to be more effective.

Dhair

I know this is an old thread, but I agree with you one hundred percent.
The word "toxins" sells health industry products like hotcakes.
Magnesium is vital for mitochondrial repair. That's it. Nothing is actually LEAVING your body. :roll:

Just wondering then if folate metabolism is broken ( MTHFR) how to support this. I don't do well on some of the supps. Is it better to increase dietary folate ?It is a real problem as my friends daughter with MTHFR had major problems during pregnancy due to taking synthetic folic acid, which blocks folate absorption .

FitnessMike

Hot tap water is ok here. Because there is no fluoride and also no chlorine in hot water
can someone confirm this?

LadyRae

can someone confirm this?
I suspect the person meant that their own personal tap water did not have chlorine or fluoride in it. Perhaps it was from a well. Of course levels of chlorine will fluctuate depending on locality and some people have fluoride in their local tap water and some do not...

I read through this thread rather quickly at first, but I wanted to mention that when you first get into a hot bath and you soak in it for at least 20 to 30 minutes, the drawing out from your pores occurs as the water around you slowly cools.

At first when it is quite warm, your pores open wide up, and as the water around you cools they become smaller and this action of the water cooling around you draws substances (toxins🤔😉) out.

So you want to be in the bath at least 20 minutes to experience that.