How Do You Get Rid Of Sulphur Producing Bacteria?

peateats1

It doesn't matter what I eat, I still have gas issues everyday. I stay away from starch and only eat easily digestible foods, and it even occurs when I don't eat anything for hours.
I've tried the carrot salad plain. It doesn't work, but I'm thinking of adding vinegar and maybe ginger and garlic(this will probably be hard for me to force myself to eat)
I have doxycycline and azithromycin but am afraid of trying those and having them somehow make things worse.
Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Peat Tong

garlic has a lot of sulfur compounds. I don't know if that will be a problem. Pepto Bismol can bind with the sulfur in your digestive tract.

yerrag

Anaerobic bacteria produce hydrogen sulfide, and have this foul putrid smell. It's probably not so evident when you smell your fart, as it's mixed in with many other compounds. It likely means you have deep layers of stuff in your large intestines due to poor bowel movement and transit times. With little oxygen in those lower layers, anaerobic bacteria are active.

You have to improve your energy levels, and good thyroid condition matters as that speeds up transit times, starting from having the ability to produce enough gastric juice, which is very dependent on your body's CO2 and bicarbonate stores, and good thyroid helping efficient glucose oxidation contributes to that.

You also need enough magnesium and vitamin A levels. Eating just enough to not be deficient in Vitamin, such as a weekly meal of liver or oysters. And if you haven't supplemented with magnesium, perhaps 3-6 months of around 800 mg of elemental magnesium would help. Avoid magnesium chloride as it is acidic, and a constant daily intake would lead to acid-base imbalance. Magnesium bicarbonate is best for your situation, but you have to make it yourself with a DIY seltzer setup. Others have used magnesium carbonate and magnesium oxide, but I haven't used them myself so I can't vouch for them. I've also made magnesium citrate from magnesium carbonate and acetic acid, but I find that easy to make if I can get acetic acid that's 20%, instead of 5%, which is usually the case with store-bought vinegars. You can also go with magnesium glycinate, and that's fine but you have to take plenty of it as the glycinate portion is 83% of it. And that adds to cost, as mag glycinate is expensive. Be sure to take in smaller doses as too much at one time can cause diarrhea. You want the magnesium to be absorbed into your blood, and not stay in the gut. If it stays in the gut, it will help with bowel movement, at the risk of diarrhea, but you really want the magnesium that's absorbed into your body, as that will provide the energy needed for peristaltic motion for bowel movement, where the intestinal muscles drive bowel movement.

Meanwhile, as you're working through that, it would help to take some lactobacillus-based probiotics. These are anaerobic bacteria, but instead of putrefactive action, they have fermentative action. It doesn't produce hydrogen sulfide, and therefore doesn't smell so bad. It has the smell of fermentation. Overall, putrefaction is bad while fermentation is good, given these two choices. But in the end, you don't want either, and that is enabled by not allowing your colon to accumulate so much matter to create anaerobic conditions.

michael94

Anaerobic bacteria produce hydrogen sulfide, and have this foul putrid smell. It's probably not so evident when you smell your fart, as it's mixed in with many other compounds. It likely means you have deep layers of stuff in your large intestines due to poor bowel movement and transit times. With little oxygen in those lower layers, anaerobic bacteria are active.

You have to improve your energy levels, and good thyroid condition matters as that speeds up transit times, starting from having the ability to produce enough gastric juice, which is very dependent on your body's CO2 and bicarbonate stores, and good thyroid helping efficient glucose oxidation contributes to that.

You also need enough magnesium and vitamin A levels. Eating just enough to not be deficient in Vitamin, such as a weekly meal of liver or oysters. And if you haven't supplemented with magnesium, perhaps 3-6 months of around 800 mg of elemental magnesium would help. Avoid magnesium chloride as it is acidic, and a constant daily intake would lead to acid-base imbalance. Magnesium bicarbonate is best for your situation, but you have to make it yourself with a DIY seltzer setup. Others have used magnesium carbonate and magnesium oxide, but I haven't used them myself so I can't vouch for them. I've also made magnesium citrate from magnesium carbonate and acetic acid, but I find that easy to make if I can get acetic acid that's 20%, instead of 5%, which is usually the case with store-bought vinegars. You can also go with magnesium glycinate, and that's fine but you have to take plenty of it as the glycinate portion is 83% of it. And that adds to cost, as mag glycinate is expensive. Be sure to take in smaller doses as too much at one time can cause diarrhea. You want the magnesium to be absorbed into your blood, and not stay in the gut. If it stays in the gut, it will help with bowel movement, at the risk of diarrhea, but you really want the magnesium that's absorbed into your body, as that will provide the energy needed for peristaltic motion for bowel movement, where the intestinal muscles drive bowel movement.

Meanwhile, as you're working through that, it would help to take some lactobacillus-based probiotics. These are anaerobic bacteria, but instead of putrefactive action, they have fermentative action. It doesn't produce hydrogen sulfide, and therefore doesn't smell so bad. It has the smell of fermentation. Overall, putrefaction is bad while fermentation is good, given these two choices. But in the end, you don't want either, and that is enabled by not allowing your colon to accumulate so much matter to create anaerobic conditions.
Maybe hydrogen cyanide can help

yerrag

OP
P

peateats1

Thank you guys! I'll give these suggestions a try. I'm going to start with adding vinegar to the carrot salad and add some baking soda to oj.
I'm a little scared to try probiotics at this point but I may look into those if I can't get this sorted.

This sucks because this all started after I took bacteriophages I was doing so well before that.

OP
P

peateats1

This is great info, thank you! I think you're totally right, it's lack of oxygen, I've got a lot to fix.

I tried magnesium for a while, but my sodium and potassium ended up low...I wasn't sure if the magnesium was causing that or not?

yerrag

This sucks because this all started after I took bacteriophages I was doing so well before that.
Yeah, hats off to you for daring to try bacteriophages. I was thinking of doing something along that line, but it seems like there's a lot of unknowns using them, especially in the English speaking world.

If you had the guts to try phages, it would be a step back to try probiotics. It's been used a lot. Just go with the more popular ones. I used Garden of Life's Primal Defense a lot before. Nothing bad has come of it, although I really would not have needed it as my gut had been fine all along.

yerrag

This is great info, thank you! I think you're totally right, it's lack of oxygen, I've got a lot to fix.

I tried magnesium for a while, but my sodium and potassium ended up low...I wasn't sure if the magnesium was causing that or not?
How did you test for sodium and potassium? I've not needed to test for them, not that I'm saying you didn't need to. I just began to take more fruit juices for potassium, and salt to taste (and not avoid salt like the plague). And I began to eat more well-cooked greens for calcium and magnesium. Plus some milk, but not in the quantities used by Ray Peat.

But I had to take magnesium supplementation for a year as I've realized how little I've eaten magnesium-rich food in my lifetime. And also, magnesium stores in the body have to be sufficient, as with magnesium deficiency your body can't build up its potassium stores.

The body will find a way to compensate for low electrolytes. It will be producing more ammonium from glutamate to allow excretion of acid (such as sulfate and chloride from sulfuric and hydrochloric acid) when the electrolyte cations (potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium) are lacking. But that's added work for the. body, and conserving energy is important so that energy is used towards development instead of towards fixing problems that can be avoided in the first place.

So, as you build up your electrolyte stores, your body will naturally shift from wasteful work to productive work - in the use of energy.

Last edited:
OP
P

peateats1

Yeah, hats off to you for daring to try bacteriophages. I was thinking of doing something along that line, but it seems like there's a lot of unknowns using them, especially in the English speaking world.

If you had the guts to try phages, it would be a step back to try probiotics. It's been used a lot. Just go with the more popular ones. I used Garden of Life's Primal Defense a lot before. Nothing bad has come of it, although I really would not have needed it as my gut had been fine all along.
I'll definitely consider probiotics. Are there any that fight off anaerobic bacteria, or are they all anaerobic? I think peat said to me in an email a long time ago that L reuteri were ok, but I'd have to check to make sure. I asked him a couple days ago if biffido or l reuteri were ok/safe to take and he never answered.

I had this intuition and bad feeling about the phages before I used them and unfortunately I didn't listen to it. My liver swelled up so bad I couldn't feel the underside of my ribs on my right side and liver enzymes went from 26 ast and 12 alt to both numbers in the 160s I've never had trouble with my liver before. My skin also turned yellow

OP
P

peateats1

How did you test for sodium and potassium? I've not needed to test for them, not that I'm saying you didn't need to. I just began to take more fruit juices for potassium, and salt to taste (and not avoid salt like the plague). And I began to eat more well-cooked greens for calcium and magnesium. Plus some milk, but not in the quantities used by Ray Peat.

But I had to take magnesium supplementation for a year as I've realized how little I've eaten magnesium-rich food in my lifetime. And also, magnesium stores in the body have to be sufficient, as with magnesium deficiency your body can't build up its potassium stores.

The body will find a way to compensate for low electrolytes. It will be producing more ammonium from glutamate to allow excretion of acid (such as sulfate and chloride from sulfuric and hydrochloric acid) when the electrolyte cations (potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium) are lacking. But that's added work for the. body, and conserving energy is important so that energy is used towards development instead of towards fixing problems that can be avoided in the first place.

So, as you build up your electrolyte stores, your body will naturally shift from wasteful work to productive work - in the use of energy.

I got a blood test done for sodium and potassium. This is another recent development of them being low. They've always been near the top end of the range and are now at the bottom. They started lowering after I started supplementing at least 400-600 mgs of magnesium on top of my diet that also contained around 600mgs of magnesium, and I was taking daily Epsom salt baths.
It could be coincidence, but I'm hoping it was the excessive magnesium and not something more serious.
Excessive renin and angiotensin might be the cause though. I think my ras is up regulated due to endotoxin caused by this nasty sulfur bacteria.

yerrag

I'll definitely consider probiotics. Are there any that fight off anaerobic bacteria, or are they all anaerobic? I think peat said to me in an email a long time ago that L reuteri were ok, but I'd have to check to make sure. I asked him a couple days ago if biffido or l reuteri were ok/safe to take and he never answered.

I had this intuition and bad feeling about the phages before I used them and unfortunately I didn't listen to it. My liver swelled up so bad I couldn't feel the underside of my ribs on my right side and liver enzymes went from 26 ast and 12 alt to both numbers in the 160s I've never had trouble with my liver before. My skin also turned yellow
I think the probiotics are a mix of bacteria, but mostly the fermentative kind, and being thst is mostly anaerobic. But that shouldn't be a worrisome thing. Since it's likely that most people don't have good transit times and their guts are likely jammed and packed, and anaerobic conditions exist, it would help to have anaerobic bacteria instead of aerobic bacteria. Why send the peace corps to a place crawling with terrorists, right? You need anaerobic bacteria that can balance and even dominate the bad anaerobic bacteria in your gut.

When your gut isn't packed anymore with a slow-moving mass of eventual fecal matter due to poor transit times, and anaerobic conditions no longer predominate, then you won't be needing the probiotics anymore.

yerrag

I got a blood test done for sodium and potassium. This is another recent development of them being low. They've always been near the top end of the range and are now at the bottom. They started lowering after I started supplementing at least 400-600 mgs of magnesium on top of my diet that also contained around 600mgs of magnesium, and I was taking daily Epsom salt baths.
It could be coincidence, but I'm hoping it was the excessive magnesium and not something more serious.
Excessive renin and angiotensin might be the cause though. I think my ras is up regulated due to endotoxin caused by this nasty sulfur bacteria.
Perhaps it's because the potassium is getting from your blood into your body stores because magnesium is enabling that. So you would simply have to increase your potassium intake. Maybe the same thing with sodium.

OP
P

peateats1

Perhaps it's because the potassium is getting from your blood into your body stores because magnesium is enabling that. So you would simply have to increase your potassium intake. Maybe the same thing with sodium.
That could be, I'll have to get them tested again soon and see where they're at now. I do get a ton of potassium(I drink oj and juice potatoes every day)and sodium in my diet though, so it was pretty shocking to see those numbers so low.

yerrag

That could be, I'll have to get them tested again soon and see where they're at now. I do get a ton of potassium(I drink oj and juice potatoes every day)and sodium in my diet though, so it was pretty shocking to see those numbers so low.
Another thing to consider is that if you urinate a lot, usually a lot of potassium (along with vitamin b1) is excreted. Also, a lot of potassium is excreted when there is diarrhea, or frequent soft bowel movement. If that's not happening, it could be that potassium is being excreted when your kidneys are working hard to excrete acid, from a situation of acidic acid-base imbalance. Consider these also in your context.

yerrag

It's in some things, safest one I can think of is bamboo shoots.

Ok, that is definitely safe. But how does hydrogen cyanide do its job? Is that why Ray Peat recommends cooked bamboo shoots? And bamboo shoots having hydrogen cyanide makes it an antibiotic, and it kills/inhibits pathogens, such as these putrefactive anaerobes?

yerrag

I wonder if this would be a good idea. Let me know what you think:

If saturated fats are antibiotic, would it help to take saturated fats, especially coconut oil? The problem with taking coconut oil straight up though, is that it gets digested, and perhaps not much goes into the colon, where the anaerobes are. Would it be a good idea to eat grated coconut then? It is solid, and during digestion, not all of the oil is extracted and digested. What remains in the solid that goes to the colon would still be coconut oil, and this could be a potent antibiotic against the anaerobes in the colon.

I see this happening in my koi pond. When I feed koi pellets, and I don't clean my pond filter, the filter bottom gets packed with waste. When the waste is thick, the filter bottom becomes anaerobic, and this is when anaerobic bacteria colonizes and multiply a lo.t Soon enough, I would be having a pond crisis, as my koi will start having skin ulcers from the proliferating bacteria.

But I've long shifted away from koi pellets, knowing the carbs in pellets feed the pond bacteria. Instead, I feed mature coconut flesh, which I cut myself into tiny pieces (it's hard, but easy enough once I get the hang of it, and a sharp ceramic knife helps). I also feed them saltwater fish, mostly scads. Since I've been doing that, the pond has become more forgiving of my lapses in cleaning the pond bottom. It seems that the coconut oil in the coconut flesh (that the koi excretes as part of its feces) is doing its work as an antibiotic in the filter bottom.

I imagine our gut is like a pond filter and having coconut oil as an antibiotic helps in decreasing the pathogenic load from anaerobic bacteria colonization.

Now, caution is needed here as Ray Peat warns about the allergenic nature of the protein in the coconut flesh. But the nature of allergies is that not all people are affected, and I count myself one. Then again, this might be a matter of getting used to it. Where I live, we eat grated coconut like people we eat grated cheese over Skyline Chili hotdog buns or spaghetti, but to a lesser extent though. So I'm used to it.

OP
P

peateats1

I wonder if this would be a good idea. Let me know what you think:

If saturated fats are antibiotic, would it help to take saturated fats, especially coconut oil? The problem with taking coconut oil straight up though, is that it gets digested, and perhaps not much goes into the colon, where the anaerobes are. Would it be a good idea to eat grated coconut then? It is solid, and during digestion, not all of the oil is extracted and digested. What remains in the solid that goes to the colon would still be coconut oil, and this could be a potent antibiotic against the anaerobes in the colon.

I see this happening in my koi pond. When I feed koi pellets, and I don't clean my pond filter, the filter bottom gets packed with waste. When the waste is thick, the filter bottom becomes anaerobic, and this is when anaerobic bacteria colonizes and multiply a lo.t Soon enough, I would be having a pond crisis, as my koi will start having skin ulcers from the proliferating bacteria.

But I've long shifted away from koi pellets, knowing the carbs in pellets feed the pond bacteria. Instead, I feed mature coconut flesh, which I cut myself into tiny pieces (it's hard, but easy enough once I get the hang of it, and a sharp ceramic knife helps). I also feed them saltwater fish, mostly scads. Since I've been doing that, the pond has become more forgiving of my lapses in cleaning the pond bottom. It seems that the coconut oil in the coconut flesh (that the koi excretes as part of its feces) is doing its work as an antibiotic in the filter bottom.

I imagine our gut is like a pond filter and having coconut oil as an antibiotic helps in decreasing the pathogenic load from anaerobic bacteria colonization.

Now, caution is needed here as Ray Peat warns about the allergenic nature of the protein in the coconut flesh. But the nature of allergies is that not all people are affected, and I count myself one. Then again, this might be a matter of getting used to it. Where I live, we eat grated coconut like people we eat grated cheese over Skyline Chili hotdog buns or spaghetti, but to a lesser extent though. So I'm used to it.
I have tried coconut oil with no luck unfortunately I'm not sure about grated coconut though, that might be worth a try.
I think I also might give in and take antibiotics. I haven't tried the bamboo shoots, carrot with vinegar, or grated coconut yet though. So maybe I'll order antibiotics and use those other three methods in the meantime.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals