Manganese Supplementation Improves Mineral Density Of The Spine And Femur And Serum Osteocalcin In R

paymanz

Manganese supplementation improves mineral density of the spine and femur and serum osteocalcin in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of manganese (Mn) supplementation on bone mineral density (BMD) and bone metabolism parameters was determined in ovariectomized Sprague-Dawley rats. Rats were divided into four groups (OVX, OVX+Mn, sham, sham+Mn) and fed with different intake levels of manganese (adequate 0.001% Mn, supplementation 0.01% Mn) for 12 weeks. BMD of the lumbar vertebrae, femur, and tibia were significantly lowered in ovariectomized rats compared to the sham group. In addition, BMD of the lumbar vertebrae was significantly increased by Mn supplementation in the sham groups. Serum C-telopeptide cross-links of type I collagen (CTx), bone resorption biomarker, alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and bone formation biomarkers were not significantly different among the four groups. However, serum osteocalcin, a more sensitive bone formation biomarker, was significantly increased by Mn supplementation. To summarize, Mn supplementation resulted in increased BMD and bone formation. Based on our findings, more research is needed to better understand the effects of manganese supplementation on bone formation and resorption.

Last edited:

BigChad

Manganese supplementation improves mineral density of the spine and femur and serum osteocalcin in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of manganese (Mn) supplementation on bone mineral density (BMD) and bone metabolism parameters was determined in ovariectomized Sprague-Dawley rats. Rats were divided into four groups (OVX, OVX+Mn, sham, sham+Mn) and fed with different intake levels of manganese (adequate 0.001% Mn, supplementation 0.01% Mn) for 12 weeks. BMD of the lumbar vertebrae, femur, and tibia were significantly lowered in ovariectomized rats compared to the sham group. In addition, BMD of the lumbar vertebrae was significantly increased by Mn supplementation in the sham groups. Serum C-telopeptide cross-links of type I collagen (CTx), bone resorption biomarker, alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and bone formation biomarkers were not significantly different among the four groups. However, serum osteocalcin, a more sensitive bone formation biomarker, was significantly increased by Mn supplementation. To summarize, Mn supplementation resulted in increased BMD and bone formation. Based on our findings, more research is needed to better understand the effects of manganese supplementation on bone formation and resorption.

Interesting, what are some good dosage ranges. 2mg a day?

OP
P

paymanz

any peaty food sources for it besides maple syrup?
so manganese has some vitamin K like actions?
Yes mussels are the best.
Manganese and vitamin k are like cofactors.

Maybe chocolate, also hibiscus tea is great
source. Pineapple is good to. Some fruits are good , check them.

Ordinary tea is great source too but it is loaded with fluoride.

If you regularly eat these food only 1-2 mg is probably enough.

BigChad

Yes mussels are the best.
Manganese and vitamin k are like cofactors.

Maybe chocolate, also hibiscus tea is great
source. Pineapple is good to. Some fruits are good , check them.

Ordinary tea is great source too but it is loaded with fluoride.

If you regularly eat these food only 1-2 mg is probably enough.

Most foods with mk4 or mk7 dont contain much manganese right

BigChad

Lol what food has mk4 in it? Im not really sure.

K1 yes its tied with manganese.

Emu Oil I believe is the best.
Other than that grass fed beef/milk is supposed to have some. Unsure of amounts.
Even regular pasteurized milk and beef should have some Mk4 in the fat I think.

How do you think manganese and vitamin K work together?
Also how is K1 tied to manganese. Manganese and MK4 both produce osteocalcin. I wonder if the effects of MK4 stack with manganese or if they cover for each other

OP
P

paymanz

Emu Oil I believe is the best.
Other than that grass fed beef/milk is supposed to have some. Unsure of amounts.
Even regular pasteurized milk and beef should have some Mk4 in the fat I think.

How do you think manganese and vitamin K work together?
Also how is K1 tied to manganese. Manganese and MK4 both produce osteocalcin. I wonder if the effects of MK4 stack with manganese or if they cover for each other
Regular foods dont have that much mk4, primates get their vitamin k from plant k1.

Manganese and k1 both can be find in green leaves, thats what i said they tied.

Osteocalcin, connective tissue health , both of them are involved directly or indirectly. Also manganese apparently involved in clotting factors. There is old study on vitamin k where vit k alone wasn't able to cure the bleeding then they found out manganese also needed for it.

OP
P

paymanz

The amount of manganese we need daily is still not very clear , balance studies outcomes are mixed and they are old studies. And manganese balance is more complicated than other minerals.

Also people eating carnivore diet apparently dont report any signs of deficiency. So its a bit confusing.ray also doesn't care about manganese that much.

I stay on safe side of 1-2 mg for now.

BigChad

The amount of manganese we need daily is still not very clear , balance studies outcomes are mixed and they are old studies. And manganese balance is more complicated than other minerals.

Also people eating carnivore diet apparently dont report any signs of deficiency. So its a bit confusing.ray also doesn't care about manganese that much.

I stay on safe side of 1-2 mg for now.

Deficiency has been noted in animals right.
I've heard its possibly in drinking water.
Body only holds 20mg manganese at once right. Probably increases absorption or excretion as needed

Do you know what depletes manganese from the body besides iron

OP
P

paymanz

Deficiency has been noted in animals right.
I've heard its possibly in drinking water.
Body only holds 20mg manganese at once right. Probably increases absorption or excretion as needed

Do you know what depletes manganese from the body besides iron
Probably Excessive sweating and phytates/phosphate.

Chronic diarrhea. Maybe high dose vit b1.

Also choline deficiency according to some studies.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals