Methylene Blue And Transcranial Laser Therapy Work Well Together

zarrin77

Great study showing that methylene blue and low level laser therapy (LLLT) can have further benefits when combined.

Effects of transcranial photobiomodulation and methylene blue on biochemical and behavioral profiles in mice stress model

There are some important things to note. The dose of methylene blue was 0.5 mg/kg i.p. This comes out to a human dose of 2.7-3.5 mg if you inject through your peritoneum. Some chemicals have similar bioavailability orally as they do i.p., some don’t (some require 4x as much orally).

Since I’ve read that oral bioavailability of MB is 73% (someone correct me if this is wrong), that brings the oral human dose to likely ~3.7 - 4.8 mg / day, depending on your size.

Also, the methylene blue was injected 2 hours after the LLLT. This is important, as performing LLLT while MB is already in your tissues could lead to potential oxidative damage and the LLLT could by “synergized”. The authors knew this, and that’s why they gave the MB after LLLT.

Here are the specs for the laser therapy:
“A diode GaAlAs laser (Thor Photomedicine, Chesham, UK) at 810-nm wavelength was applied for irradiation sessions. The laser’s operation mode was Pulsed Wave (PW) on 10 Hz, 88% duty cycle, and average irradiance of 4.75 W/ cm2. A fluence of 8 J/cm 2was delivered to the cortical surface”

They gave the mice LLLT 3 times a week.

They stressed the mice using chronic unpredictable stress for 4 weeks, and at the same time they gave the ratrs either LLLT (tPBM - trascranial photobiomodulation), MB, or both.

Here are some of the results. First image represents “anxiety”, or rather, lack thereof.

9DA10112-C9A9-426A-8909-D67806AD9687.jpeg

B546DBB6-4A09-4AFD-9208-42DDDAC673F9.jpeg

07E89BE3-45C4-4D3D-A2C8-2169C04F6CAA.jpeg

full study attached.

Attachments

• TranscranialPhotobimodMethyleneBlue.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 12

mrchibbs

Interesting comment about taking MB after the light exposure. This is the kind of insight that's useful.
So I guess to replicate it, this may mean taking the human equivalent dose of MB + light 2-3 times a week?

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Interesting comment about taking MB after the light exposure. This is the kind of insight that's useful.
So I guess to replicate it, this may mean taking the human equivalent dose of MB + light 2-3 times a week?

The methylene blue was every day, the light therapy was 3 times a week. I wouldn’t do light therapy every day btw, most studies show inferior results that way compared to 2-3 times a week.

mrchibbs

The methylene blue was every day, the light therapy was 3 times a week. I wouldn’t do light therapy every day btw, most studies show inferior results that way compared to 2-3 times a week.

Not sure I'd take MB 4-5mg daily, but it's definitely interesting to experiment with.