Protein Macro Necessary?

Ive been reading a lot of Dr. Peat's articles and there's one thing I can't figure out. Why is protein included as an essential macro? To me there are only two macros: fats and carbs. According to Dr. Peat there is only sugar and saturated fat.

Why is protein included in a macro ratio? You can't eat fat without protein, however you can eat protein without fat. However, muscle meat is very anti-thyroid. So why recommend it? Pure protein is great after a workout but when else?

I keep my thyroid humming with limited starch, adequate sugar, no PUFA, a lot of saturated fat, and no lean protein. Thus I have effectively eliminated the protein macro.

lampofred

Is this a joke? We are all literally made of protein.

I seriously doubt you've been doing this for more than a few days. You'll ruin your organs if you keep it up.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
What's the joke? An 8oz block of cheese has 56g of protein, 48g of fat. You can't separate protein from fat. If you're eating the right fat, there's no point in worrying about protein because it's automatically included.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
So what you're saying is I'm going to die by eating lots of saturated fat? I'm confused.

dbh25

I keep my thyroid humming with limited starch, adequate sugar, no PUFA, a lot of saturated fat, and no lean protein. Thus I have effectively eliminated the protein macro.
Have you tracked macros for what you are eating?
Edit: you haven't eliminated protein if you are eating cheese/dairy

OP
Colin Nordstrom
Dr Peat states muscle meat is bad for the thyroid. So I'm taking it you're a big muscle meat eater?

OP
Colin Nordstrom
I feel great. not sure what there is to track. I eat oatmeal with milk the morning. I eat mangoes and cheese at lunch. I suck down sugary drinks throughout the day. I eat a little fish with vegetables at night. I eat something sugary before bed. What is there to track? I base everything on my energy levels, libido, and how my workouts go. If those are great, I don't worry about tweaking anything. Protein is a completely overrated macro. But I'm not saying its not essential and important. All I'm stating is if you eat quality saturated fat, you're getting all the protein you need. Nature never intended protein to be separated from fat. In reality, it mitigates the insulin response of protein. Why has the liver always been the most valued part of the animal for thousands of years?

kayumochi

For me, the trick to getting very lean and muscular has been to cut out all liquid fat and up protein by eating low-fat cottage cheese and "Naked" brand casein (in addition to the meat I already eat).

OP
Colin Nordstrom
dbh25, my point is why calculate it? if I eat a block of cheese, yes I'm getting protein, but that's only because I'm eating saturated fat. Macros break diet into 3 categories, however there isn't 3 categories. There are only two: fat/protein and carbs (sugar). If you're eating muscle meat then yes you should split out your macros 3 ways. But if Dr. Peat and Weston Price say meat was never intended to be eaten without fat, then why the weird, conventional 3way macro split? To me, it's outdated, and needs to be thrown out if we are starting a new conversation about optimum health.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
kayumochi, you are talking about low fat cottage cheese in the context of post-exercise protein? to me that's a different story, then your average lean protein eater. Lean protein spikes insulin but that's ok in the protein/carb window post exercise. That's the tried and true Dr. Ivy way to increase muscle building/protein synthesis. however, muscle meat eating for a sedentary person is not an effective thyroid strategy.

dbh25

Dude, you're seriously confused. The title of the thread is Protein Macro Necessary? I asked you about tracking because you ARE eating protein. Beef liver itself per oz. is 1/1/5.5-f/c/p And you are eating some fish- protein
Maybe the thread title should have been is muscle meat necessary?

OP
Colin Nordstrom
if I'm not mistaken, there are only 2 ketogenic essential aminos: leucine and lysine; and 3 glucogenic essential aminos: histidine, methionine, and valine. I always wonder if tryptophan is more glucogenic also.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
No I stand by the thread. I don't feel the individual protein macro is necessary. I feel it should be combined with fat. I placed this on a forum, so I welcome differing opinions. If I'm way off base, then tell me. I've got my big boy pants on today.

kayumochi

kayumochi, you are talking about low fat cottage cheese in the context of post-exercise protein? to me that's a different story, then your average lean protein eater. Lean protein spikes insulin but that's ok in the protein/carb window post exercise. That's the tried and true Dr. Ivy way to increase muscle building/protein synthesis. however, muscle meat eating for a sedentary person is not an effective thyroid strategy.

yeah, I see that. do people choose to be "sedentary?" if so, bad choice :)

OP
Colin Nordstrom
dbh25, some people gorge on protein, even when there is no workout in site. You better be tracking in that case. But I'm not talking about the standard American diet. I'm talking about people looking for optimum health. If I was eating a ton of lean turkey breast and a ton of fish because I was scared off by the saturated fat hypothesis, then yeah tracking my protein macro makes sense. If you're a bodybuilder, and you're ingesting a lot of whey protein post workout, I don't think that needs to be tracked as long as you're setting some boundaries based on your bodyweight.

lampofred

There is a difference between asking is protein necessary and is muscle meat necessary.

OP
Colin Nordstrom
I didn't state "is protein necessary?"; I stated, "is the protein macro necessary?"

OP
Colin Nordstrom
dbh25 and lampofred, "is muscle meat necessary?". also, a very interesting and related question. I would like to hear the responses regarding that.

paymanz

You need protein to regenerate your tissues, skin , other connective tissue, muscles.even if your sedentary.

A good thyroid functions needs protein to regenerate your body tissues.otherwise you start to loss lean tissues.

Amino acids also are needed for other metabolic functions.

Dr peat says meat is anti thyroid but , you have to balance it with gelatine. Not eliminate it from your diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals