Quick Question About A Light Bulb I Have

Makrosky

Hey fellas,

I've found a light bulb in a closet while cleaning that is : phillips, with filament, 250W and the glass is tinted infrared. It has a standard socket.

I'm wondering if I can do something with it? I am totally clueless about light therapy. It's a topic I haven't investigated yet. I'm into metabolism biochemistry and stuff.

Can I do something "Peat" with it?? Or do I put it to the trash bin?

Thanks!

If the light coming from it is colored red then you can use it as "red light therapy". Shine it on your head or body.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

cantstoppeating said:
post 112329 If the light coming from it is colored red then you can use it as "red light therapy". Shine it on your head or body.

Yes it is red.

Is "red light therapy" Peat friendly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Daimyo

You will probably have to buy a special lamp to install that light bulb because normal lamp will melt or create a fire hazard.

tara

Daimyo said:
post 112344 You will probably have to buy a special lamp to install that light bulb because normal lamp will melt or create a fire hazard.
:1. Make sure you get one rated for 250 Watts or higher.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

tara said:
Daimyo said:
post 112344 You will probably have to buy a special lamp to install that light bulb because normal lamp will melt or create a fire hazard.
:1. Make sure you get one rated for 250 Watts or higher.

Ok But the bulb is worth using, right?

tara

tara

goodandevil said:
post 112421 Do the bulbs have to be red, i thought it didn't matter?
No, they don't have to be red. Clear heat lamps or strong incandescents radiate lots of the useful spectrum.

Makrosky said:
post 112338 Ok I found this https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187

Thanks csntstoppeating

It explains a lot but I still don't understand if the bulb I have qualifies for RLT

There's no way to be sure unless you post all the details of your bulb. If you can't, and you're still unsure, better to trash it and buy one that you can be confident about.

goodandevil said:
post 112421 Do the bulbs have to be red, i thought it didn't matter?

It's better that they are so that you avoid the harmful blue light.

Things have changed since Peat made the recommendations of using incandescents. Red bulbs and specific wavelength LEDs are now better to use for light therapy.

Fetch

cantstoppeating said:
post 112473 Things have changed since Peat made the recommendations of using incandescents. Red bulbs and specific wavelength LEDs are now better to use for light therapy.

Sorry this is a little off topic but I am curious

I was unaware that the recommendation for non-red incandescents had changed. I agree LED does seem more practical in a lot of situation. But I also thought that using clear incandescents(that are 130v) in a standard 120v household (U.S.) changed the light to a more red spectrum thus avoiding the excessive heat produced by red tinted lights(heat lamps) and also produced a spectrum of light a little more comfortable to spend time in. Just curious what has changed don't mean to high jack the thread.

Fetch said:
post 112480
cantstoppeating said:
post 112473 Things have changed since Peat made the recommendations of using incandescents. Red bulbs and specific wavelength LEDs are now better to use for light therapy.

Sorry this is a little off topic but I am curious

I was unaware that the recommendation for non-red incandescents had changed. I agree LED does seem more practical in a lot of situation. But I also thought that using clear incandescents(that are 130v) in a standard 120v household (U.S.) changed the light to a more red spectrum thus avoiding the excessive heat produced by red tinted lights(heat lamps) and also produced a spectrum of light a little more comfortable to spend time in. Just curious what has changed don't mean to high jack the thread.

What's changed is the light technology. Incandescent bulbs are archaic forms of lighting that use too much electricity and produce too much heat per unit of light. At the time of his recommendation, Peat was probably doing the best he could with what he had.

Any other light technology e.g. CFL, LED, with a red filter (e.g. red gel paper) would give the same or more beneficial light while producing less heat and using less electricity. Wavelength specific LEDs are the ideal, but often involve a custom setup with some basic electrical knowledge.

tara

cantstoppeating said:
post 112486 Incandescent bulbs are archaic forms of lighting that use too much electricity and produce too much heat per unit of light.
Near and far infrared is heat. Near infrared is part of the desirable spectrum, not just waste. Doesn't choosing bulbs that are more limited to the visible spectrum deprive us of this benefit?

tara said:
post 112555
cantstoppeating said:
post 112486 Incandescent bulbs are archaic forms of lighting that use too much electricity and produce too much heat per unit of light.
Near and far infrared is heat. Near infrared is part of the desirable spectrum, not just waste. Doesn't choosing bulbs that are more limited to the visible spectrum deprive us of this benefit?

Quantifying the ideal wavelengths gives us range of 600-870nm, with a majority of specific wavelength-points being in the 600s. Red filtered CFL and LED bulbs emit more light of this range than incandescent bulbs, without any of the blue light and excessive heat (i.e. wavelengths greater than 900nm).

We're using light therapeutically, in addition to whatever other light exposure we get (the sun, TV, monitors), so it's important we don't include any additional blue light -- there's no need to include few units of infra-red light (i.e. 800-900nm) if it means the inclusion of blue light or excess heat. Blue light negates the beneficial effects of red light and excessive heat reduces the amount of red light absorbed due to the increased distance of the bulb to target site (to avoid burning).

A good shortcut is to look at the color of the light, the darker the tone of red, the more suitable it is for therapeutic use.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

cantstoppeating said:
A good shortcut is to look at the color of the light, the darker the tone of red, the more suitable it is for therapeutic use.

So my bulb should work... It's incandescent, it's 250W, 220V (there's no 130V in Europe) and the glass is tinted red.

Right ?

As you said previously it's unefficient because it generates heat but to me this is a good plus during winter.