Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

J

j.

Question: I think you have stated that the best fruits, if properly grown, are oranges, watermelons, and grapes. Is guava close to them in quality?

Yes, they rank with oranges for their protective qualities.

J

j.

Regarding additives, it seems that Ray Peat thinks that sodium benzoate as an additive is less bad, at least for him, than citric acid. I mentioned that I found a guava product (ate de guayaba) which only had sodium benzoate, and another one with both sodium benzoate and citric acid. Here's his response:

Ray Peat said:
I'm looking for one without the citric acid. The benzoate isn't necessary with a lot of added sugar, but it's probably used everywhere.

Dan W

K said:
Hello Dr. Peat,
Do you think it´s more optimal for an organism to cycle nutrients/activities?

For example i´ve read that some bodybuilder undereat for a short time and then overeat with exceptional results regarding muscle gain and fat loss.

Is it better to take a certain nutrient (if the supplement is pure) constantly or have periods of overabundance? For example in the past grassfed dairy would have only been available in springtime and thus supplying a lot of vitamin k after being a period of deprivation.

The same might with physical training: Having very intense bouts of exercise with a long rest period afterwards might be more beneficial than constantly training.

Can the stress of a controlled state of deprivation trigger some new adaptations that are beneficial? Or is the stress normally too great?

How does the mind influence these processes? I imagine that doing the same over and over again without taking breaks can decrease its learning abilities?

Thank you!!!!!!
Ray Peat said:
I think intermittent training is good if it avoids increased cortisol. Some nutrients, like vitamin K, can be stored in the fat and liver for a long time. Intense stress activates epigenetic processes that I think are hard to reverse. Temporary excess of some nutrients can probably help to restore processes to normal, or to higher functional levels. Deprivation increases the ability to tolerate deprivation. The mind is always involved, with imagination being part of the body-forming processes, and it's important to keep the whole life development in mind.
K said:
I assume that the mind works with pictures. So if you say "imagination is part of the body-forming processes", what exactly does that imply? How do you picture yourself theses processes?

I find this quote fits my awareness of my environment pretty well: "Between me and life is a faint glass. No matter how sharply I see and understand life, I cannot touch it." - F.Pessoa

For example if i think about my right toe i can somehow "be" in that part of the body, but i can´t understand how i got there. My brain somehow maps the body and enables me to access the sensory input of fragmentized parts of the whole.

I just can´t imagine these processes in my "inner eye", do you? How does life transform these information into water-protein-structures.

I could go on and on, but i don´t want to take too much of your time.

Thanks again!
Ray Peat said:
At any moment, one's position in the world is part of one's image of the world, and body awareness is part of our consciousness of our position. Being is the basic thing, and there is really no understanding separate from that, although there are symbolic patterns that can be manipulated as if they were separate from the substance, but that's just a matter of habitual attention. The "faint glass" people are identifying with the constructed story about life, rather than seeing it as an aspect of a single substance-awareness. Toes (and internal organs) are part of everything we do, making up part of the substance and meaning of things, except when indoctrination directs attention away from them.
K said:
Thank you for your great answers.

The activities of an organism are heavily influenced by its state of consciousness. How do doubts, fear, authorities, cognitive closure (or dogma), shame and other limiting states influence the perceptivity of an organism?

For example if someone takes part in thinking about a problem or in a series of complex movements: an attachment to the outcome (if this someone fails it will be a shame for the family or something like that) greatly influences the way this person will complete this task.

How can we access the most powerful areas of our mind (control organ function etc.) and avoid the loss of perceptivity due to culture?

Have a good day!
Ray Peat said:
Going to sleep and the few minutes after waking up are good times to see how things are working. Stresses and obligations shape the digestive and metabolic processes, and the rhythms of the intestine add to the shape of the day's thoughts. There are usually about 16 small cycles during a day, and watching for them can make things more spontaneous.
K said:
Wow..very interesting!!!!

Can you link me to some material about the nature of these 16 small cycles?

What are these cycles? Intestinal contraction-cycles?

Thank you!
Ray Peat said:
Besides articles in psychology and medical journals, the ultradian cycles have been described from a variety of perspectives. R.O Becker discussed weak natural electromagnetic rhythms, Frank Brown did many experiments showing the effects of surrounding fields on biorhythms, Solco Tromp's publications on biometeorology and Michel Gauquelin's statistical studies showed other effects. There have been quite a few Hindu publications on body cycles. When I taught school and had to get up at the same time every day, I developed a strong metabolic rhythm that made me go to sleep immediately at 10:30, and if I had to stay awake, I had a sudden loss of energy exactly at 10:30. A daytime nap that's timed according to the small cycles can be very effective.

[Peat attaches the following studies and wikipedia article]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10783477
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10564105
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10235198
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8252751
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle

messtafarian

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Hi there:

This was a discussion I had with RP a couple days ago about weight loss. I was telling him I was gaining weight and felt really swollen.

"That sounds like standard hypothyroid symptoms, the body simply adjusts to holding more water, while losing sodium quickly. An increased intake of calcium is the single most important nutritional thing for losing weight. Low fat milk and cheese should be the main foods; a carrot salad helps to reduce stress hormones. Temperature and heart rate are useful indicators for judging the amount of a thyroid supplement to use."

Then I told him I didn't mind eating that way but I had really strong salt cravings:

"There are some very salty cheeses that help to satisfy salt appetite, for example pecorino or feta; sometimes I add salt to cheeses such as gouda, emmental, mozzarella, or cheddar. Sometimes pork rinds, chicharrones, are good for a salty snack; I usually heat them in coconut oil and then drain them, to remove some of the pork fat. Orange juice, guavas, watermelons, cherimoyas, cooked apples, cherries, and ripe papayas are good sources of sugar to have regularly."

HDD

"We recently received news that a young friend's cancer of the tongue has returned. He received both chemotherapy and radiation for treatment. The doctor is now advising the removal of his tongue and says if he does not have this done,he will only have 2 years to live. He is already unable to eat solid foods and has lost 30 pounds. He does not want the surgery and is depressed.

I am trying to gather information on cancer from your articles and from the forums to send to him. If you have the time, could you offer some specific advice?"

Ray Peat reply-
"Besides large amounts of aspirin (grams per day), and vitamin K1 or K2 to prevent abnormal bleeding from the aspirin, I think I would use DCA (dichloroacetate), which is available from Canada on the internet (and forums describe its use), and maybe an enzyme related to vitamin D, called GCMAF, that activates the immune system."

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:hattip iLoveSugar

Regarding high altitude living.

Just a few questions:

1) How long does it take to reap benefits?
====During the first couple of weeks, the body usually has stress reactions that have to settle down, then the improvement continues for years. A couple of months at altitude will usually cause changes that last for several months even at lower altitude.

2) What is the lowest elevation, that one could reap good benefits?
====Statistics for New Mexico showed improvement for every increase of altitude within the state--I think it's continuous, from below sea level up to around 12,000 feet.

3) Are there any conditions which high altitude is negative for? I think I remember saying something about asthma?
====I should have said respiratory diseases, meaning things like emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis. Asthma is usually improved at high altitude, above 6000 feet, for several reasons. Even in polluted Mexico City, at 7500 feet, there's very little asthma, but people who vacation in Acapulco often get asthma.

4) After settling in for a week or two, is light exercise OK? Short runs?
====I think walking should be the main exercise for the first several weeks.

5) Can one really reap the same benefits with bag breathing, and other artifical ways, as they would with actually LIVING in high altitude?
====No.

More:

(6,000 feet)
I think those moderate elevations are very helpful. My place in Coeneo is only 6600 feet, but my nearsightedness always improves when I'm there for a few weeks. People who are very sensitive to altitude would have a headache at 14000 feet, so that was a good test.

Source

4peatssake

Hi Dr. Peat,

I have a a few questions about using activated charcoal.

I've read that due to its powerful adsorption it is best to take it at least 2 hours before taking any medications, supplements or food.

There has been some debate whether its necessary to take it away from food or if it's OK to take with meals?
There is some concern that nutrients may be adsorbed and/or that digesting food may hinder the effectiveness of the charcoal.

I am aware of the V.V. Frolkis study that you have quoted but wanted to ask if you could further clarify this for me?

Thank you so much.

Ray Peat said:
It does destroy some vitamins by oxidation, that's why he used it only intermittently. Usually fibers, such as carrots or bamboo shoots, are preferable for reducing toxin absorption.

Dan W

K said:
[questions about dental health]
Ray Peat said:
Stress weakens teeth from the inside, drawing mineral from the dentine; the dentine is the part that can regenerate, not the enamel. Thyroid function is the most important thing for limiting stress.
Ray Peat said:
Stress typically causes calcium to be removed from the small channels in the dentine, and it tends to be unequal, resulting in spots of discoloration in some teeth, that can develop into cavities. Thyroid is the most important antistress hormone as well as influencing the saliva and immunity.

And a funny one:
JJ said:
Is there ever a time that one would want to decrease the metabolic rate? For instance, if they have some nutrient deficiencies or infections? Thanks!
Ray Peat said:
When marooned without food, waiting for rescue.

Mittir

Coffee and Caffeine

Q: Dr Peat
I had this impression from your interviews that you drink several cups of strong coffee .
But someone at forum is claiming that you drink weak coffee in the form of
" cafe con leche". Can you please clarify if you drink weak coffee or strong coffee.
What is your daily caffeine intake? I have heard you recommending 3-5 cups of coffee.
What do you think is the safe dose of caffeine intake daily for average
person?( with sugar and milk) Do you think it is safe to use caffeine tablet
of 600 mg or more to treat fatty liver?

Ray Peat said:
That would be too much caffeine at once, unless it's with a big meal to slow its absorption. Coffee is much more than caffeine. A pound of coffee might last me three days, I'm not sure, but I use as much for a cup as Folger's says to use for a quart. When the concentrated extract is mixed with milk, the mixture is stronger than standard restaurant coffee.

A

Adnada

Ray's response to my question on drilling and filling cavities and root canals:

"I think filling a cavity soon is best, and with care the pulp can often be preserved, but a root filling is better than extraction; the material used for a root filling doesn't matter much, if calcium oxide is used at the end. Calcium oxide would be best for the whole thing, but the x-ray mania has discouraged that use."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mittir

Here is a RP's email response to LucyL's question on hemorrhagic fevers.

LucyL: Since Dr. Peat has written on clotting disorders, I have wondered for a while about his take on hemorrhagic fevers. While Ebola is the most well known, there is actually a long list of illnesses that can be hemorrhagic, including Dengue, hantavirus (also known in America as "four corners disease"), yellow fever, bird flu (H7N9 etc), Chikungunya, H1N1 (swine flu) can produce hemorrhagic pneumonia as well.
So I finally asked what he would see as an appropriate therapeutic approach to the hemorrhaging associated with these illnesses, and this was his response:

Ray Peat said:
Ebola infection seems to involve a lack of interferon, and the amount of nitric oxide in the blood increases in proportion to the intensity of the symptoms. Reductive stress/inflammation that activates interleukin-1 and arachidonic acid metabolites can inhibit interferon, and at the same time increase the production of nitric oxide. Resistance would be improved by oxidative and antiinflammatory things.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4418#p53175

Dan W

Someone asked Peat some brain-function/consciousness related questions:

BPC said:
Hey Dr. Peat, hope you're doing well. I have a few questions on some subjects I've been thinking about lately, one's that I don't think are discussed often in the "mainstream" due to social constructs as to what is 'normal' and/or 'optimal'.

My questions are:
1. Have you ever used any nootropics/smart drugs? If not, have any piqued your interest?
2. You've previously told me that you don't think there is evidence that bliss shouldn't/can't be the standard human state. You've also written about Colin Wilson's research and ideas on the different models of human consciousness, and stated that the "excitedly expectant state of consciousness of a child on Christmas morning is a model of the way the mind should function throughout life." Do you think it is important, or at the very least worthwhile, to pursue a state of being such as this?
Ray Peat said:
Yes, it's part of really good health. However, especially during the last 100 years, that state of consciousness has made people targets for the deranged onlookers. I have found it to be easier in Mexico.
BPC said:
3. Do you personally partake in activities seen as "mind-body" practices (though I don't think that term is proper, as it explains things as separate, non-interdependent entities), for instance: neurofeedback, biofeedback, meditation, prayer, yoga, etc?
Ray Peat said:
Feedback of various kinds can be very helpful--sounds, visual, electrical, temperature, breath analysis (CO2, CO, NO, etc.). I think the reason fasting has had a reputation for facilitating enlightenment is that intestinal toxins create a chronic state of depression and sense of helplessness.
BPC said:
4. Do you think there is a role for psychedelics/entheogens or "expanding consciousness", introspection, learning, etc? In particular, LSD, psilocybin, cannabis, and other ones that have a proven track record of overall safety.
Thanks!
Ray Peat said:
Things in the LSD and antiserotonin category, caffeine, some of the mushroom chemicals, possibly mescaline.

Mittir

Q: In eluv stress interview you mentioned a vitamin D3 study that showed vitamin D3
supplement lowered length of hospital stay and mortality for intensive care patients
Do you have the name of the study or a link to thay study.?
I am curious about the dose they used and if it was a daily dose or interval dose.
I could not find any in google search.

Ray Peat said:
Dr. L. Ray Matthews Unleashes the Power of Vitamin D ...
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2013/oct ... n-D_01.htm
Dr. Matthews is now writing a manuscript on vitamin D's use in reducing the ... For instance, in our hospital, our mortality rate is down 42% with critically ill ... did a vitamin D study in 2010 and found out that 81% of their players were vitamin D ...
Twitter / rawpear: Landmark Vitamin D Study: Dr. ...
https://twitter.com/rawpear/status/385238616730898433
Oct 1, 2013 - Landmark Vitamin D Study: Dr. L. Ray Matthews. Sufficiency decreased hospital stays, hospital costs, & mortality.
Vitamin D levels related to length of stay in ICU | Vitamin D ...
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/.../vit ... ength-of...
Feb 22, 2012 - Dr. Ray Mathews and colleagues at the Morehouse School of ... health; Adelle Sperling on New study on vitamin D levels and hospital mortality ...

Q: Does iron inhibit T3 or T4 function? What is the mechanism in iron
inhibiting steroid sythesis

Ray Peat said:
Too much iron, especially in the reduced form, activates a
variety of harmful stress reactions

Mittir

Coconut Fiber

Question said:
I was wondering if coconut fiber can be used as an occasional substitute for carrot. This study shows coconut fiber significantly lowers cholesterol and triglyceride.
If a fiber lowers cholesterol, does that mean it also lowers estrogen?
Is it the same mechanism that lowers both cholesterol and estrogen?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15298758

Ray Peat said:
Do you know how the fiber is manufactured, and from what? Fibrous foods can lower both absorbed cholesterol and estrogen, but some fibers are broken down by bacteria to produce estrogenic materials. The husk fiber, coir, is being sold as a food additive. I don't know whether coir has been tested for the release of lignans, which could be carcinogenic. If it's just dried coconut meat, the problem would probably just be gas from the starches.

Question said:
Abstract of the study simply stated coconuter fiber from flakes were made from flour production. I have cooked finely shredded coconut meat with some sugar and I have used it occasionally and it works a lot like carrot salad for me but there was some mild gas problem. I am not sure if it is from starch, added sugar or lack of adaptation. If it is only starch causing problem, i can try cooking it longer.

Ray Peat said:
I think gas is the only problem from the mature meat.

Rem

INFLAMMATION

I was wondering about the meaning of taking anti-inflammatory drugs, like aspirin.
Isn't inflammation some kind of homeostatic defensive reaction ? What would be the meaning of trying to inhibit this process ?
Ray : Before birth, injuries heal without inflammation and don't leave a scar. Two important causes for that difference are the high concentration of CO2, which limits lactic acid production, and the absence of the n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids. In adulthood, the tissues become progressively more loaded with fats of that type, leading to greater production of inflammatory agents such as prostaglandins, and an increasing tendency to produce lactic acid rather than carbon dioxide. Chronic systemic inflammation is the central factor in the various degenerative diseases.

Dan W

K said:
Hello Dr. Peat,
As you are very knowledgable in psychology you probably know several theories and practices to process emotions. Inspired by spiritual/metaphysical concepts of consciousness I´ve been working on reassessing my emotions (by doing so called "shadow work" in which you dive into memories and feel through the related emotions) and doing exercises to free my breath (the solar plexus somehow being in the center of it all) and feel into my body. I have found more healing through these practices than through diet, supplementation etc. and i realised that our cultural, everyday concept of emotions is pretty vague.

The first time i read about your views on organisms being coherent liquid crystalline substances i immediately felt a strong fascination that the conventional views of biology never ignited (i wonder why). It feels like the world is operating on a language that is totally disconnected from what is real and its extremely hard to really understand the essence of things. It seems a layer of dogmatic language hovers over everything and makes us blind because we´re so caught up moving in fictional layers of understanding dictated by words (you just have to watch the media using words like terrorist, regime etc.) I definitely recognize very rigid thinking structures in myself and the people around me and i´m wondering what it must feel like to be fully aware/conscious about reality (even trying to imagine it feels very rigid and limited). When i try to think about organisms being coherent chemical masses that react to stimulus by changing the flow of electrons in a confined space that has senses to recognise the environment it melts my brain because i just can grasp it.

I think I need some sort of image or plastic understanding (independent from language..if that´s even possible) so i can be able to integrate my emotions (they seem to be the driving force behind everything) into a holistic view of life.

How can we imagine emotions? How are these sensations that we have labeled emotions created in cells and how are they related to everything else? Is there a way we can created understanding independent of language?

I hope you can make sense of my rambling and have some great insights as usual.
Ray Peat said:
There are some ways of directing the attention that I have found to be useful. Thinking about the sensing surface as distinct from the thing sensed is a way to start to get away from language’s control of consciousness. After-images of bright objects are a convenient place to start. Coffee and vitamin B1 are helpful while doing the practices. With eyes closed, watch for spontaneous visual events after the after-image has faded. Putting attention on the solar plexus region while thinking about people you know, noticing the abdominal sensations related to different people, is another kind of sensory exercise.
K said:
I need some clarification on what you wrote. Sensing surface as distinct from thing sensed? I don´t think i understand what you mean. And why after-images of bright objects? What exactly is the reasoning behind that? What are the spontaneous visual events you´re talking about telling you? Coffee and B1 for better concentration?
Ray Peat said:
Just for an example, if you touch a marble with the tips of crossed fingers, the first reaction is that there are two marbles, because of the normal projection of awareness of objects in the world. When you look at an empty sky, you can usually notice different kinds of “objects” or textures, that aren’t the sky (some people insist that those are something in the sky; others that they are nothing but debris in the eye); when you direct your attention to the sensory surface, rather than to the object, you can notice that the process of noticing affects what you notice. Attention to this process makes it possible to feel the process of thought interacting with sensations. Inattention to those processes leaves a person trapped in the system of verbal concepts and rules.
K said:
What does “projection of awareness of objects in the world” mean? Regarding the sky example: You mean that directing your attention to the sensory surface (in this case it´s the outside of the eye if i understand your definition correctly) brings you back to the process of sensing itself instead of being caught in verbal concepts which might determine beforehand what you actually notice (to take your example some people say that the textures are part of the sky and some say its debris so both have been caught in defining their sensory experience with verbal concepts).

I assume the after-image exercise is a tool to become more aware of the sensory surface of the eye. But i don´t understand how awareness of these spontaneous visual events plays into this. Is that because theoretically full awareness can be brought into every tissue even if it doesn´t contain nerves (like the lenses of the eye)?

How does B1 and coffee play into this?
Ray Peat said:
Every tissue contains nerves, and for some of these, the proprioceptive nerves, their object is what we feel as our body. Other nerves sense things that we understand as objects in some sense—sound is felt to come from somewhere in the space around us, smells usually the same, and tastes represent the objects that we are eating. But in each case, it’s possible to experience our sensing without imagining objects as the cause of the sensation. The value of that is that it gives you an absolute, uninterpreted, experience, which makes it possible to put the verbal life history that we normally inhabit, into a new context. In the case of seeing with your eyes closed (with light on the closed eyelids, the situation is similar to looking at an empty sky), a finely granular texture is the retina itself, and/or the optic nerve. A textureless, dreamlike substance of space filling images, a relatively free activity of the visual cortex and more complex brain systems, will gradually be noticed, when there’s the right combination of nervous arousal and relaxation. The behavior of after-images will change according to the state of the whole organism, for example the length of time that it stays positive, and the length of time that a following negative image lasts. It’s the same with after-images of motion; their differences between people are very interesting.

Dan W

E said:
[question about regenerating teeth with light]
Ray Peat said:
Light can apparently activate part of the process; combining it with pressure and electrical and hormonal stimulation might increase the efficiency of regenerating dentine.

Cell Tissue Res. 2008 Jan;331(1):359-72.
Stem cells and tooth tissue engineering.
Yen AH(1), Sharpe PT.
(1)Department of Craniofacial Development, Dental Institute, Guy's Hospital,
Kings College London, London Bridge, London, SE1 9RT, UK.
The notion that teeth contain stem cells is based on the well-known repairing
ability of dentin after injury. Dental stem cells have been isolated according to their anatomical locations, colony-forming ability, expression of stem cell
markers, and regeneration of pulp/dentin structures in vivo. These dental-derived stem cells are currently under increasing investigation as sources for tooth regeneration and repair. Further attempts with bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells and embryonic stem cells have demonstrated the possibility of creating teeth from non-dental stem cells by imitating embryonic development mechanisms. Although, as in tissue engineering of other organs, many challenges remain, stem-cell-based tissue engineering of teeth could be a choice for the replacement of missing teeth in the future.
E said:
Would it be a bad idea to purchase a laser with the appropriate specifications and perform light therapy on ones teeth.
Ray Peat said:
Just bright red light should do it.
E said:
Would chewing gum and applying a 9volt battery to the gums perhaps fashioning a probe with paper clips be effective?
Ray Peat said:
Chewing is the best stimulation.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray, that stuff they put in your eyes for an eye exam to dilate your eyes. Do you think its best avoided?

Ray Peat said:
It’s usually a synthetic variant of atropine, and I don’t think there has been enough research to be sure, but the main thing to worry about would be the antiseptic-preservative with it.

johns74

Ray Peat said:
I have known people with extremely high metabolic rates who benefited temporarily from magnesium, but when magnesium was combined with a thyroid supplement, returned stably to a normal (lower) metabolic rate.

Dan W

M said:
[question about vitamin E products/dosage]
Ray Peat said:
It can still be very protective against lipid peroxidation and inflammation, but the products have been changing frequently in the last 15 years, so I think it’s good to be cautious and use minimal doses. The vitamin E from Sigma in the 1960s and early ‘70s behaved completely differently in relation to coenzyme Q10 and other quinones, than the more recent products.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals