Seeking Advice For Lowering Prolactin And Getting Rid Of Puffy Nipples. Bloodwork Included

franko

I (Male, 26) have had slowly-worsening puffy nipples for over a year now and recently I was sufficiently motivated to go to an endocrinologist and see what can be done to reverse it. I also told the Doc about my hypothyroid symptoms including low motivation/energy/libido, fatigue, cold hands/feet and constipation. Some related issues I also have: male pattern balding (the kind where the vertex goes bald first) and a varicocele.

The endo said it's not gynecomastia. He says that because there is no "gland"/lump underneath my nipple. There is just nipple puffiness and and some of what I'm guessing is something like ductal tissue underneath the skin towards the outer part of the areola. There is also tenderness and weird sensations sometimes.

Unfortunately, a combination of nervousness and it being cold in the office made it so my nipples were hard and so the puffiness was not noticeable at all in that state. I was insistent, but he pretty much dismissed my concerns and said it could be a "skin issue". He might have just thought I was paranoid or had no idea what I was talking about it. Here is a photo album of a male actor on a TV show that has a puffy nipple problem similar to mine. My nipples were not like this two years ago so I know there is definitely something wrong/different.

I had bloodwork done privately before going to the endo and got these results (with reference ranges appended):

Testosterone 438 | 348–1197 ng/dL
Estradiol 21.7 | 7.6–42.6 pg/mL
LH 6 | 1.7–8.6 mIU/mL
FSH 4.4 | 1.5–12.4 mIU/mL
TSH 4.6 | 0.45–4.50 uIU/mL
T3 3.1 | 2.0–4.4 pg/mL
T4 1.08 | 0.82–1.77 ng/dL
Prolactin 14.8 | 4.0-15.2 ng/mL

After getting that bloodwork, but before going to the endo, I started taking thyroid I bought online. I experienced noticeable improvements in the areas of coldness and constipation.

I showed those results to the endo and he also ordered new bloodwork which was done the day after my consultation. When he got the results, the only actual numbers I got him to tell me were these:

Testosterone 328 ng/dL
Prolactin 32 ng/mL

Based on that he recommended an MRI to look for a Prolactinoma. Long story short: I got that MRI and it came back normal. No prolactinoma.

He mentioned at one point that touching/squeezing nipples can raise prolactin and there was a lot of that done on the day of my exam (which was the day before my bloodwork) mostly it was done by me at various points throughout the day trying to prove to myself that there was tissue underneath my nipples. I think that is the likely cause of the 2x increase in prolactin. I wish he would have suggested I get bloodwork done again instead of encouraging an MRI but that's a rant for another day.

When we found out it was not a prolactinoma, he prescribed a low dose of bromocriptine (2.5mg/day) and told me to take it for 2 months and then we'd get bloodwork again. He said it would lower my prolactin and he thinks that's what's keeping my testosterone low. He did not want to prescribe me thyroid even though I asked for it.

I took the bromocriptine for a month. In the first few days I thought my nipples might have been de-puffying a little, but after that I didn't notice any changes. I did not notice any other affects either except maybe the vivid dreams side effect.

I am unsatisfied with this approach for several reasons.

I think that my prolactin was in the 30s because of all the "playing with my nipples" and that it will have gone back down to about 14 or 15 like it was before. And that's in or near the normal range, so he probably won't want to do anything about it, but I think it has been slowly causing my puffy nipples, probably in concert with my low testosterone.

Also, it's not a viable long-term strategy and I don't think using a dopamine-agonist is a wise strategy when I have many of the signs of someone with low dopamine / downregulated dopamine receptors (low motivation/libido, depression, etc).

TL;DR

I have low testosterone, high prolactin, and slightly high TSH ("subclinical hypothyroid").

Symptomatically, my most psychologically-bothersome issue is puffy nipples, but I also have typical hypothyroid/low testosterone symptoms like low motivation/energy/libido, cold hands/feet, depression and constipation.

I've seen an endocrinologist and so far his solution is a prescription for bromocriptine to lower my prolactin, which I think was just temporarily high. Overall, I think his advice is lacking.

I'm seeking effective and sustainable ways to lower prolactin and raise testosterone, which I think will have the biggest effect on improving my symptoms.

Thanks for reading. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have a prolactinoma but it no longer secretes prolactin in abnormal amounts. I've taken bromocriptine and lisuride in the past and found both very helpful. This was a decade long issue for me but when I discovered Peat's work I finally began to understand how to approach the problem for real healing rather than remaining in a seemingly helpless situation and dependent on high levels of medication indefinitely.
For me including nutritious foods that help lower stress has been key. I'm just talking about the typical things most of us include in our diet like fruit, dairy and balanced protein etc. I've also found thyroid helpful. Keeping estrogen in check is also important. Carrot salad, estro-ban and Progest-e have all been quite helpful.
My highest prolactin measurement was 121 and the last time I had it checked it was around 10. I no longer have any high prolactin symptoms. I'm currently able to keep it at an acceptable level with a low pufa intake, good nutrition, thyroid supplementation and managing estrogen. I'm female but just wanted to share my personal experience.
I've had my prolactin checked by ordering the lab online and monitoring it that way rather than going through my old endocrinologist. IIRC Peat recommends a prolactin level of 7 or less for males.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
B-6 and the herb vitex have been mentioned here on the forum as useful in lowering prolactin. I have used b-6 in small amounts (about 10 mg) and found it helpful.

answersfound

You need to start taking the fat soluble vitamins, whether that be Haidut's estroban formula, or vitamins A, D, E, K individually. Also, I would get some pregnenolone and desiccated thyroid if you have low body temperature.

tara

franko said:
TSH 4.6 | 0.45–4.50 uIU/mL
T3 3.1 | 2.0–4.4 pg/mL
T4 1.08 | 0.82–1.77 ng/dL
Prolactin 14.8 | 4.0-15.2 ng/mL

After getting that bloodwork, but before going to the endo, I started taking thyroid I bought online. I experienced noticeable improvements in the areas of coldness and constipation.

I showed those results to the endo and he also ordered new bloodwork which was done the day after my consultation. When he got the results, the only actual numbers I got him to tell me were these:

Testosterone 328 ng/dL
Prolactin 32 ng/mL

:welcome franko

That high TSH stands out to me.
If possible, I'd try to get more of the results from your second set of tests from the endocrinologist. It would be interesting to know how long you had been supplementing thyroid before your second set of tests, and what happened to your TSH after you had been supplementing thyroid for this period. That could give you some more relevant clues to help figure out future dosing.
No guarantees that it would fix everything, but reasonable thyroid function seems to be necessary for lots of things to work as they should.
I also agree with blossom and looking about getting good nutrition to support a healthy metabolism. Sometimes improving diet can be enough to improve many other things, including thyroid hormones; sometimes other interventions are also needed, but good nutrition is still needed to support other interventions, including thyroid supplementation.

BingDing

In the US, the HIPAA law says that a doctor has to give you your medical records. The staff at my doctor's office was stubborn as s***, I had to go numerous times and argue to get copies of my lab work.

OP
F

franko

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to call the Doc's office and see about getting the full dataset from my last bloodwork.

I've stopped taking the bromocriptine. I'm going to pursue other strategies for lowering prolactin.

Peat has said:

Either vitex or bromocriptine would probably stop [high prolactin], but I think it's probably caused by mild hypothyroidism, and that the best way to handle it would be with a thyroid supplement, and that would probably help your libido too... Prolactin and TSH tend to increase together

So yeah, I'm going to try to lower my TSH with nutrition + thyroid supplementation and see if the prolactin drops with it.

OP
F

franko

franko said:
So yeah, I'm going to try to lower my TSH with nutrition + thyroid supplementation and see if the prolactin drops with it.

Update: That didn't work. I actually took enough thyroid to lower my TSH to 0.016 and increase my T3 to 8.7 but the prolactin stayed high at 23.

The journey continues here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6584&p=79402

Onehumin

I have two shiny pennies for ya.
Your test levels are low fore sure. I know they says it in the normal value at this low end but with low test libido will be sub par. Estradiol would better lower end of this scale, there is probably too much intra cellular estrogen. You will need to eliminate PUFA, eat more meals, 5 times a day, small ones. Get on the program of Gelatine, high protein, broths, eggs and some organ meats and fruit with cooked veggies and papas.
Drink you cafe con leche and honey. Don't over do sugar yet.
Add lots of coconut oils. About one to two ounces a day, yup drink that up with every meal. Mix you gelatin in OJ and take vitamin E, and niacinimide.
As you kick out this estrogen you may gain weight temporarily, don't worry just don't over eat. Make them small frequent meals to balance blood sugar.
Keep taking the Bromo the doc prescribed, maybe less but keep it going, just buy some tribulus from Sport Pharma, they have 35 years of experience with this one, it's the daddy.
This will raise your LH up your test and libido and get your **** in the gym. No cardio, weights 4 times a week my friend to stimulate more test. Dot. Call me In the morning, but in a month you can smile and say Swing batter!

OP
F

franko

Onehumin said:
I have two shiny pennies for ya.

Thanks for your input. This post is actually outdated though. I have since been experimenting with AI's and TRT via injections. I detail this and my resulting bloodwork here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7455

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals