Sun damage

OP
HeartGold

HeartGold

I think Ray Peat considered 500mg per day of PUFA to be a desirable goal, especially for someone with a not great metabolic rate. Many children under the age of nine might be able to metabolize more of it without issue. The stuff is lurking everywhere and is difficult to avoid completely. Adults' metabolism slows down and is less able to metabolize PUFA so it gets stored in the fat cells, for years.

Huh I thought saying him 4 grams is okay.

I’m max 12% body fat and have been <10% body fat before I was 25. I’m now 28. My metabolic rate is okay, temp is always above 36.7 and after dinner up to 37.6. It’s winter that will cause me subclinical hypothyroidism.

mostlylurking

I really think it's much lower than that. I remember him explaining that because olive oil is 12% PUFA you need to limit it to 1/2 teaspoon/day. For flavoring. The olive oil was my downfall (consuming too much) so that info stuck with me.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I’m max 12% body fat and have been <10% body fat before I was 25. I’m now 28. My metabolic rate is okay, temp is always above 36.7 and after dinner up to 37.6. It’s winter that will cause me subclinical hypothyroidism.
I found the info in a Peat interview. The message is a little garbled because Ray misspoke and said "coconut" instead of "olive" at the beginning but he corrects himself quickly.

View: https://youtu.be/YMP4ywgIKj0?t=2948

cremes

I found the info in a Peat interview. The message is a little garbled because Ray misspoke and said "coconut" instead of "olive" at the beginning but he corrects himself quickly.

View: https://youtu.be/YMP4ywgIKj0?t=2948

A 500mg PUFA limit is impossible to achieve if you drink any quantity of milk or eat any useful amount of red meat. Perhaps the 500mg limit is for seed oil?

HumanLife

With all due respect, how can aloe vera be peaty when it's clearly a phytoestrogen?
Peat mentions it alongside cascara because of its emodin content. Though, I will say that I haven’t heard him say that the phytoestrogens in aloe vera is problematic though? Do you think it is that much of a problem and that coconut oil would just be better for HeartGold to try out first?

mostlylurking

A 500mg PUFA limit is impossible to achieve if you drink any quantity of milk or eat any useful amount of red meat. Perhaps the 500mg limit is for seed oil?
I think it is supposed to be as low as you can get it. Yes, I agree, the 500mg is pretty much impossible.

Hiep

Taking riboflavin (or a B-Complex, multivitamin, etc.) and then immediately going out and getting sun (specifically, UV exposure) needs to be avoided. Ray mentioned this as he was answering a question during a Generative Energy podcast (I think it was spring or summer, between 2020-2022).

mostlylurking

I appreciate your info. I had the same thought. My pufas I get in are mainly from eggs, milk and meat.
Your response prompted me to try to find the fat composition of cow's milk. I searched "pufa in cow's milk" and this popped up:

"Results showed that supplementation (3% DM) of dairy cow diets with SO (soybean oil) and FO (fish oil) did not have detrimental effects on milk production, or ice cream’s physicochemical and sensory characteristics. From a human standpoint, SO and FO improved the FA profile of milk by increasing the amounts of PUFA and MUFA, respectively. From a farmer perspective, adding SO or FO in the cow’s diet can improve the milk FA profile towards a more unsaturated one (without detrimental effects on cows’ performance) and this can lead for the production of niche products with bioactive lipids. Data from this study could be useful for the dairy industry, especially for the ice cream industry that is exploring or looking to provide an added value for their products via natural means (cows diet modulation) and without removing fat contents."

BUYER BEWARE.

I stick with organic milk that comes from an area with lots of green grass myself. The world has gone mad.

stoic

Peat mentions it alongside cascara because of its emodin content. Though, I will say that I haven’t heard him say that the phytoestrogens in aloe vera is problematic though? Do you think it is that much of a problem and that coconut oil would just be better for HeartGold to try out first?
Do you remember where he mentioned that? I don't dispute that aloe vera can be useful, but there are much safer alternatives.

Personally, I've been using lanolin daily for over a year and found it to be a great moisturiser, with zero side effects and toxicity.

HumanLife

Do you remember where he mentioned that? I don't dispute that aloe vera can be useful, but there are much safer alternatives.

Personally, I've been using lanolin daily for over a year and found it to be a great moisturiser, with zero side effects and toxicity.
“Cascara and aloe are not among the treatment options approved by the FDA, so cascara isn’t widely available (though anyone can grow aloe plants easily). However, there is considerable interest in the drug industry in the possibility of developing products based on emodin, or aloe-emodin, as anticancer or antiviral drugs. Even if it were proved to be safe and effective for use as a laxative, its potential use as an alternative to extremely profitable cancer and virus treatments would make it a serious threat to the drug industry.”

Doesn’t milk have estrogen too and it’s definitely a Peat food? It has progesterone to counter it though.

There’s lanolin in the body cream I linked to in the first page.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals