Too much calcium along with a negative Ca:P ratio

Green Dot

Can't supplement Ca without going into the high end, but on the other hand, you have a negative ratio.

tankasnowgod

What would you do in this situation?

Can't supplement Ca without going into the high end, but on the other hand, you have a negative ratio.

What do you mean "high end?" And what do you mean "Negative?" The ratio can't be negative.

tankasnowgod

Don't know how much calcium is "too much" but I'm assuming it's >4g?

More P than Ca
So, you are getting more than 4g of phosphate? How?

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

So, you are getting more than 4g of phosphate? How?
Thanks.

Not on average, just ate a bit too much liver and other high phosphorus food today, my ratio is near 1:1 but I prefer it to be 2:1 or higher.

tankasnowgod

Thanks.

Not on average, just ate a bit too much liver and other high phosphorus food today, my ratio is near 1:1 but I prefer it to be 2:1 or higher.

If you look through the threads I linked, there were some people taking up to 17.5 grams a day for a month or so. I certainly wouldn't go that high chronically myself. I wouldn't worry too much about any particular day, or even meal. It's the average that's important. I probably take 3 g supplemental calcium a day right now, and get another 1g from food. I think it's slightly tipped in the Ca direction for me most of the time.

Peat has also mentioned fructose can lower phosphate, so eating more fruit and/or sugar can help, as well. I think he even suggested it can be tipped a bit in the direction of P is sugar intake is high, and still be okay.

Bluemachine

If you look through the threads I linked, there were some people taking up to 17.5 grams a day for a month or so. I certainly wouldn't go that high chronically myself. I wouldn't worry too much about any particular day, or even meal. It's the average that's important. I probably take 3 g supplemental calcium a day right now, and get another 1g from food. I think it's slightly tipped in the Ca direction for me most of the time.

Peat has also mentioned fructose can lower phosphate, so eating more fruit and/or sugar can help, as well. I think he even suggested it can be tipped a bit in the direction of P is sugar intake is high, and still be okay.
what form of calcium do you supplement? What benefits do you notice that keeps you taking that amount?

Dr. B

what effects are you getting? im thinking of doing 9500mg calcium a day, but it would be all from food, mostly skim milk and some whole milk, and some minor amounts from things like dried figs, orange juice, coconut water. phosphorus would also be high, probably around 7000mg or so