Valium Or A Sleepless Night?

scarlettsmum

so I'm in the hospital after a surgery, they don't want to give me any anti histamines for sleep. (It's evening here) My only option is to hope that sleep will come whilst only being able to sleep in one position on my back or to take Valium. What would you do?

Makrosky

Just take it. There's no need to suffer unnecessarily. A single valium is not gonna cause you any dependence or tolerance. Be kind to yourself. I hope you get better.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Just take it. There's no need to suffer unnecessarily. A single valium is not gonna cause you any dependence or tolerance. Be kind to yourself. I hope you get better.

Yes, I'm thinking the same, but I'm only allowed to sleep on my back for the next 30 days! And I have no cypro home and it takes 30 days to come from placing the order. Any other ideas?

Makrosky

Yes, I'm thinking the same, but I'm only allowed to sleep on my back for the next 30 days! And I have no cypro home and it takes 30 days to come from placing the order. Any other ideas?
oh! That's another very different story. Of course don't take it 30 days in a row. Maybe you can take 7 doses, one every 4 days. I think that won't cause dependence but i'm not sure. You can try high doses of glycine mixed with pregnenolo e, haidut says it's like a benzo. Also magnesium in any form is very relaxing. Anyother OTC herb like valerian, passiflower, etc. will help.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Doxylamine Succinate is recommended by Ray Peat and is available over the counter. It's a antihistamine sold as a sleep aid.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

oh! That's another very different story. Of course don't take it 30 days in a row. Maybe you can take 7 doses, one every 4 days. I think that won't cause dependence but i'm not sure. You can try high doses of glycine mixed with pregnenolo e, haidut says it's like a benzo. Also magnesium in any form is very relaxing. Anyother OTC herb like valerian, passiflower, etc. will help.

Thanks Makrosky! I may try valerian again. I used it on a few occasions before and it sometimes worked and other times less so, but I guess its main advantage is that it's all natural.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Doxylamine Succinate is recommended by Ray Peat and is available over the counter. It's a antihistamine sold as a sleep aid.

Thank you for the tip Charlie! I don't live in the US, so I'm not sure I can get it here. I have to investigate what otc anti histamines are available to me here. Do you know what to look for in a good anti histamine?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Doxylamine Succinate is sold otc in Australia, as Restavit.

Thank you. Just looked it up, can't find anything under that name in the Czech Republic. I'm going to the pharmacy this morning, so will ask them. They will probably push some other anti histamine if they don't have this one. What should I be looking for?

Rahmon

Have you tried ensuring that you get adequate magnesium. Depending on your tolerance you can try either Magnesium Citrate, Bisglyncinate, or Food Grade Magnesium Chloride flakes ... generally easy to find one of them...try to consume at least 200 mg before you go to sleep and aim to get 400 mg in the day.

tara

Do the drs want you to avoid antihistamines during recovery from surgery because they think it will interfere with healing? I don't know enough to know if that is a good reason to avoid for now.

If it were me, I'd give it a go for a couple of nights without drugs, and see how it goes before considering whether to take the cyproheptadine. Some of us find it sleepy-making in small doses - 1/8 - 1/4 mg (tablets are often 4mg). I like the idea of trying gelatine/glycine and Mg in some form too - if you're lucky that will help. Also whatever food your appetite suggests (excluding PUFA), and enough salt.

Also consider a chinstrap to keep your mouth shut if sleeping on your back. Apparently sleeping on the back tends to promote hyperventilation by easier chest expansion, too. If you suspect this, maybe there is a way to mitigate. I seldom fall a sleep on my back, but I did a few times with a baby lying on me - I suspect the little extra weight was helpful.

Good luck and sweet dreams. :)

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Have you tried ensuring that you get adequate magnesium. Depending on your tolerance you can try either Magnesium Citrate, Bisglyncinate, or Food Grade Magnesium Chloride flakes ... generally easy to find one of them...try to consume at least 200 mg before you go to sleep and aim to get 400 mg in the day.

Thanks Rahmon, I don't have any magnesium supplements in the house at the moment. I eat lots of 80% dark chocolate, not sure how much magnesium it has. I also have Epsom bath salt but I can't have a bath yet, perhaps only a foot bath. Again I am not sure how effective it is on feet only?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Do the drs want you to avoid antihistamines during recovery from surgery because they think it will interfere with healing? I don't know enough to know if that is a good reason to avoid for now.

If it were me, I'd give it a go for a couple of nights without drugs, and see how it goes before considering whether to take the cyproheptadine. Some of us find it sleepy-making in small doses - 1/8 - 1/4 mg (tablets are often 4mg). I like the idea of trying gelatine/glycine and Mg in some form too - if you're lucky that will help. Also whatever food your appetite suggests (excluding PUFA), and enough salt.

Also consider a chinstrap to keep your mouth shut if sleeping on your back. Apparently sleeping on the back tends to promote hyperventilation by easier chest expansion, too. If you suspect this, maybe there is a way to mitigate. I seldom fall a sleep on my back, but I did a few times with a baby lying on me - I suspect the little extra weight was helpful.

Good luck and sweet dreams. :)

Tara,
Thanks for being ever so helpful as usual.:) I think simply my dr doesn't really know how the antihistamine helps exactly. And I'm not sure I know either... I got him to prescribe it because I explained that I'd rather take anti histamine to help me with sleep then Valium. And he agreed that antihistamines are much safer and non addictive.
I got the cypro today and I was only considering 1/8 as you said since it is 4 mg per tablet. My biggest problem really is my back which keeps me awake at night all painful from not being able to change position. And I'm not really sure if cypro would let me sleep through the pain? Or if it's even a good idea? Perhaps I should be aware and get up and stretch a little. I have also been getting a lot of rest during the day so I just keep cypro handy should i not feel sleepy at night. It's just an insurance should I need it.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Rahmon, do you any recommendation for a particular brand? Thank you.

Birdie

For your back...are you using a little pillow under your knees? That should help relax the lower back and I think would help the rest of the back too.
You have to try different spots with it. Maybe under knees and a little toward the calves will do it. And maybe you can kinda tilt the knees to one side or the other to release some of that muscle tension. Best to you.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

For your back...are you using a little pillow under your knees? That should help relax the lower back and I think would help the rest of the back too.
You have to try different spots with it. Maybe under knees and a little toward the calves will do it. And maybe you can kinda tilt the knees to one side or the other to release some of that muscle tension. Best to you.

Birdie, yes, I have to sleep with pillow under my knees, because as you said, it becomes very quickly very uncomfortable. I am moving it along my legs throughout the night and I also sleep on the sofa for half the night because it is much softer then the bed mattress, But I think the worst is hopefully over and it is getting better with every day. Thank you. :)

Rahmon

For magnesium? Well any Magnesium Bisglycinate will do....they are all pretty much the same. You can try Dr's Best, Now Foods. To be honest with you it doesn't really matter as they are pretty much the same. I just try to find the cheapest.

Take 400 mg a day (as they usually come in 100 mg or 200 tablets) with 200mg close to bed time.

If you want a source of magnesium that will last you a long while then you can buy them magnesium chloride flakes. Just make sure its food grade. It's very easy to mix and a round tablespoon of flakes will make 500 ml of magnesium chloride. Each does of 100 - 125 ml will give you roughly 500-600 mg of Magnesium. Some people are more sensitive than others and cannot tolerate it, however I take it and give it to my son and neither of us ever had an issue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals