What Works For Hair Thickening/regrowth?

ekool445

Hey everyone, I am new here, but just wanted to start another forum about hair loss.

I became familiar with Ray Peat last fall after reading HLAF by Danny Roddy. I have a similar story to Danny with experimenting with diets, messing up my metabolism, etc.. My hairline started receding very slowly a few years ago but has sped up slightly the last year, which is why I ended up reading HLAF. After implementing some Danny Roddy and Ray Peat's ideas, my health is starting to improve. Hard to tell if my hair is...

I understand this is a very widely discussed topic, but would like anyone reading this to chime in their ideas of what works best or what makes things worse for you guys. Below is a list of supplements, methods, topical solutions, ideas, devices, etc. that have been most widely discussed on here/other forums. Please give your input on which are most effective. I will be getting labs done as well, so you can tell me which are most important.

Supplements/drugs (topical vs oral?)*

Aspirin*
Caffeine*
Taurine*
Niacinamide*
vitamin E*
Biosil (silica)
Anti-histamines
Desiccated thyroid (or other thyroid med)
Pregnenolone, DHEA, progesterone

Topical Solutions (besides ones listed above)

Minoxidil
Ketoconazole
Stemoxydine?
Polysorbate 80
Essential oils? (lavender, rosemary)

Devices/Methods

Microneedling
LLLT (lasers)
UVB lamps
Massages (detumescence therapy)
Giving up shampoo?

Diets

Eliminate PUFA
Calcium phosphate ratio
Dairy? (raw?)

Ideas

Lowering prolactin
PGD2 inhibitors/PGE2 agonists (or is it better to inhibit both?)
raising body temp and pulse through the diet/lifestyle changes (did this work for your hair?)

Ok, I think that is all that I could think of at the moment. I will post more ideas if they come to me.

I would appreciate your opinion/personal experience as well as any links. If you have any other ideas feel free to throw them at me.

Thanks!

Sheik

The things which I believe actually work are:

-Finasteride
-minoxidil
-ketoconazole
-Diane 35/cyproterone acetate (don't mess with this one)

I believe fixing the diet/general health can help hair grow, depending on the person/circumstances. I've struggled with health problems and haven't stopped my hair loss, personally.

Beyond that there are many studies suggesting other things which work, but I have never seen proof of them working in a real, practical way. I've tried a lot of things on your list which haven't done anything noticeable for my hair. They may have some effect, which may be helpful as part of a regimen, but they have been nowhere near as effective for me as minoxidil, for example. For reference, I have tried:
-SolBan (caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide)
-taurine (oral)
-vitamin e (oral and topical)
-Cyproheptadine
-progest-e
-Stemoxydine
-NoPoo

...and none of these showed any effect in the amount of time it would have taken minoxidil to show a very real, tangible effect. Take that for what you will.

I've also tried spironolactone (topical), which gave me bad side effects so I never got to see if it worked for my hair. Same with Finasteride, actually, but I think it's obvious that fin grows hair.

:2cents:

I'm currently not doing anything for my hair, just trying to get healthy and strong.

CoolTweetPete

A combination of many of the things you listed above helps. Many of them work synergistically (caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide) to promote oxidative metabolism, which should improve hair. In combination with dramatic reduction in PUFA consumption, and sufficient caloric intake, these things seem to help quite a bit.

The cherry on top is LLLT, which is tremendously effective if done correctly.

CoolTweetPete

yes, dermarolling tends to work, injury releases growth factors.

Maybe use methylene blue instead of red lights.
Methylene blue is the same as lllt
Protection against neurodegeneration with low-dose methylene blue and near-infrared light

Haidut sells supplements that support youthful metabolism.

I think methylene blue works synergistically with red light. Haidut's observation that both of them work by removing cytochrome c oxidase from nitric oxide, thereby allowing it's excretion in the urine, tells us that there's a possibility hair loss has to do with ineffective energy production due to excessive levels of NO in the tissue.

I saw someone recommend minoxidil above, which works by increasing NO (vasodilation), but if we believe excessive NO is at play here, this would be degenerative in the long term. Could be why people lose more hair after stopping minoxidil.

Sheik

To be perfectly clear, I'm not recommending minoxidil.

Minox is sort of a standard that I use for comparison because I've seen it work. I can't speak to long term damage; I've never seen proof of that.

I no longer use it because of side effects.

OP
ekool445

ekool445

Thanks for these replies!

yes, dermarolling tends to work, injury releases growth factors.

Maybe use methylene blue instead of red lights.
Methylene blue is the same as lllt
Protection against neurodegeneration with low-dose methylene blue and near-infrared light

Haidut sells supplements that support youthful metabolism.

Does derma rolling have any side effects? Have you tried methylene blue, and where do you find it?

I believe fixing the diet/general health can help hair grow, depending on the person/circumstances. I've struggled with health problems and haven't stopped my hair loss, personally.

Beyond that there are many studies suggesting other things which work, but I have never seen proof of them working in a real, practical way. I've tried a lot of things on your list which haven't done anything noticeable for my hair. They may have some effect, which may be helpful as part of a regimen, but they have been nowhere near as effective for me as minoxidil, for example. For reference, I have tried:
-taurine (oral)
-Cyproheptadine
-progest-e
-Stemoxydine
-NoPoo

...and none of these showed any effect in the amount of time it would have taken minoxidil to show a very real, tangible effect. Take that for what you will.

Yeah, I'm thinking that getting your health under control would be at least helpful in stopping hair loss and thinning. I'm willing to bet that resolving underlying health issues could drastically help stop receding hairline. There is just so much conflicting information on what diet/lifestyle is best.. I have seen a whole bunch of studies as well... But few actual pictures from the people making claims. I am thinking that the things you listed would greatly help once a person's health is much better. I hope you're able to figure out your health. Maybe there are factors other than diet and supplementation that you aren't considering? For me, it was an infection that was never diagnosed.

Questions:

Did you have allergies or itching prior to using cyproheptadine? Thinking this wouldn't help with hair unless the person actually struggled with allergies.

How long did you use stemoxydine?

A combination of many of the things you listed above helps. Many of them work synergistically (caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide) to promote oxidative metabolism, which should improve hair. In combination with dramatic reduction in PUFA consumption, and sufficient caloric intake, these things seem to help quite a bit.

The cherry on top is LLLT, which is tremendously effective if done correctly.

Adding in coffee and aspirin have been some of the changes I've made since January. I also have been avoiding PUFAs as much as possible since then as well. These changes have yielded positive results with my health. Unfortunately, I struggle with appetite at times, and probably don't consume as many calories as I can. I have tried drinking lots of OJ and milk for calories, but do not tolerate OJ very well, and no more than a couple cups of milk/day. I am thinking of trying cyproheptadine, as it improves appetite and would help with my allergies.

I have thought about LLLT, but do not know where to get/how to make one of the cheap versions. I have seen you post about LLLT, where did you get yours? Have you tried methylene blue as well? How do I get?

I saw someone recommend minoxidil above, which works by increasing NO (vasodilation), but if we believe excessive NO is at play here, this would be degenerative in the long term. Could be why people lose more hair after stopping minoxidil.

Do you think that minox would be temporarily helpful for someone who has improved their health and stopped hairloss? To stimulate growth where there was loss, then stop?

Peppermint oil.

Have you personally used this for hairloss? If so, please elaborate? What is the effect of essential oils like this on the scalp?

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope more people chime in with ideas. I am thinking that the best approach is a combination of a lot of things. Now that my health is improving, I plan on posting before and after pictures if I make progress. It'll probably take time.

sladerunner69

The things which I believe actually work are:

-Finasteride
-minoxidil
-ketoconazole
-Diane 35/cyproterone acetate (don't mess with this one)

-taurine (oral)
-Cyproheptadine
-progest-e
-Stemoxydine
-NoPoo

I've also tried spironolactone (topical), which gave me bad side effects so I never got to see if it worked for my hair. Same with Finasteride, actually, but I think it's obvious that fin grows hair.

:2cents:

I'm currently not doing anything for my hair, just trying to get healthy and strong.

The fact that someone just recommended finasteride is terrifying to me. That substance is poison and can leave you with the most serious of health problems.

Kasper

I think that actually increasing DHT and testosterone makes your hair look stronger.

I think oysters, taurine and pansterone has boosted my DHT and testosterone. I have much higher libido, my beard is getting more thick and darker (at age 25), and my hair looks stronger.

Also of course, getting your temps to be 37 degrees celcius is a must.

I don't have inflammation in my balding regions any more. And the hair at the balding region looks less, diffuse, weak. But stronger, and darker. I find it interesting that something similar happens with my beard. Hair is stronger and thicker.

Mountain

I have thought about LLLT, but do not know where to get/how to make one of the cheap versions.

You can use a low-power halogen lamp and filter the light through a gel stage lighting filter, such as Colour Information and Spectral Charts for LEE Lighting Filters then filter this through a dish of water.

Have you personally used this for hairloss? If so, please elaborate? What is the effect of essential oils like this on the scalp?

Peppermint oil seems to be a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, same goes for rosemary oil and some of the other topical oil recommendations for hairloss. I'd probably avoid these substances.

OP
ekool445

ekool445

The fact that someone just recommended finasteride is terrifying to me. That substance is poison and can leave you with the most serious of health problems.

Yeah, I don't think he was recommending them, but noting that they can work. I do not plan on taking Fin (for obvious reasons), but am on the fence about minox.. I am thinking that ketoconazole wouldn't be bad?

I think that actually increasing DHT and testosterone makes your hair look stronger.

I think oysters, taurine and pansterone has boosted my DHT and testosterone. I have much higher libido, my beard is getting more thick and darker (at age 25), and my hair looks stronger.

I don't have inflammation in my balding regions any more. And the hair at the balding region looks less, diffuse, weak. But stronger, and darker. I find it interesting that something similar happens with my beard. Hair is stronger and thicker.

Thanks for your insight. I have seen several "gurus" who seem to agree that low T will not save your hair. Plus aging men who are losing hair are also losing testosterone, and have increasing levels of estrogen right?

I am also taking taurine and eating occasional oysters. You think smoked are alright? What is pansterone? I am working on my body temp, as it could be better. Yeah, I have actually noticed that my facial hair and nails have started to grow slightly faster. I think the hair on my head has sped up, but it is still thinner than I'd like it to be.

You can use a low-power halogen lamp and filter the light through a gel stage lighting filter, such as Colour Information and Spectral Charts for LEE Lighting Filters then filter this through a dish of water.

That seems fairly complex... Would it even be as effective as getting lasers?

Peppermint oil seems to be a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, same goes for rosemary oil and some of the other topical oil recommendations for hairloss. I'd probably avoid these substances.

Thanks. I saw a video ( ) where a guy has been using a combination of dermarolling and lavender oil to regrow some of his hair. He also uses a "thickening oil" which consists of a bunch of PUFAs and vitamin E, to thicken his hair. I don't get how this is working... Or even how his hair hasn't been thinning more with putting all of the oil in his hair.

How much pansterone are you taking? I'm about to turn 25 and have been considering it.

johnwester130

I don't believe the cortisol, prolactin estrogen theory of hair loss, but lowering those is obviously a good idea.

I think there's more involved, you have to somehow repair the damaged scalp collagen, and I think only dermarolling and derma pens do this.

OP
ekool445

ekool445

I don't believe the cortisol, prolactin estrogen theory of hair loss, but lowering those is obviously a good idea.

I think there's more involved, you have to somehow repair the damaged scalp collagen, and I think only dermarolling and derma pens do this.

Why don't you believe it? Fixing those issues and boosting your metabolism would fix the underlying issue behind hair loss right? I mean, derma rolling could be beneficial, but it wouldn't fix the underlying problem.

CoolTweetPete

I do daily scalp massages, do you think this would work in a similar fashion? I typically just use my hands. I feel like it has helped.

CoolTweetPete

Why don't you believe it? Fixing those issues and boosting your metabolism would fix the underlying issue behind hair loss right? I mean, derma rolling could be beneficial, but it wouldn't fix the underlying problem.

This is what Danny Roddy's work seems to suggest. Good metabolism would result in optimal peripheral blood flow to the scalp, reducing the need for adaptive substances like nitric oxide to vasodilate, and allowing CO2 to do its respiratory work.

Pointless

This anecdote has been kicking around in the back of my head lately. It's about Vitamins A/E/D/K2 and magnesium oil reversing hair loss caused by steroid use through decalcification of soft tissue.

Hair loss from DHT/Steroids? Think again...very interesting topic...

I don't recommend the cod liver oil and excessive vitamin D, but maybe Estroban and Kuinone to the scalp would help? Any thoughts on this?

I posted before that I thought borax was reversing my hair loss, but it seems now that it's made it worse. I see a little new growth, but I'm losing faster than I'm growing it back, I think. I wouldn't recommend it, either way, so I stopped it a while ago.

CoolTweetPete

@Pointless I have a similar theory. Roddy has said that low thyroid function causes a "deranged calcium metabolism", and could contribute to errant calcification (soft tissue rather than bone), so K2 (mk4) should help if that's what is going on. I'm currently taking 15mg a day of Haidut's Kuinone product and doing daily scalp massages.

I also have been taking magnesium (with p5p) for this purpose, but I don't clearly understand the mechanism by which I expect it would help. Does magnesium bind to or chelate calicum from tissue?

Pointless

I've heard stuff about magnesium chloride reversing gallstones but very shoddy anecdotes and unreliable sources. I need to do more research.

Do you rub the Kuinone or magnesium on your scalp? Have you noticed a difference? How long have you been doing it? Was there any initial worsening?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals