What's normal paleolithic human temperature and pulse?

XPlus

At 44bps you deserve the title of the God Damn Well-trained Athlete
I think the lowest I got to was around 50bps on paleo, morning runs, midday weights and midnight walks.

So Stu, did you figure out yet what the range of pusle of my great grandpa at the monkey stage was like.
Was he eating enough resistant-starch bananas to keep his core microbiome in good health.
That would matter to me as I'd like to rule out the possiblity of whether I come from a stressed background. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 206

narouz

I think Peat mentioned this guy, Jacob Bronowski.
He was a scientist but also a really good writer.
I read his Science and Human Values.
I remember really digging it.

This is from his other big book...

“The University is a Mecca to which students come with something less than perfect faith. It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin, barefoot irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known but to question it.”
― Jacob Bronowski, The Ascent of Man

narouz

...here's another quote I like from the other book...

“Has there ever been a society which has died of dissent? Several have died of conformity in our lifetime.” Jacob Bronowski in Science and Human Values

Stuart

narouz said:
I think Peat mentioned this guy, Jacob Bronowski.
He was a scientist but also a really good writer.
I read his Science and Human Values.
I remember really digging it.

This is from his other big book...

“The University is a Mecca to which students come with something less than perfect faith. It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin, barefoot irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known but to question it.”
― Jacob Bronowski, The Ascent of Man
Bronowski's a wonderful writer. "The Acent of Man' particularly.

Peata

EnoreeG said:
Hi tara,

First an observation: Since you wrote this, there's been a substantial set of posts along a different vein, and my diet I'm about to reveal is remarkably different. Of course different people "need" different things, so there should be differences showing here. But one thing I'll say is that the posts following yours reflect different dietary and supplement strategies that apparently are trying to change a physical condition, a health marker, or at least try to follow a Peat plan for health.

My diet is a health maintenance diet. I know I have T2D and an allergy to the carb side of dairy and some seasonal allergy to pollen. Other than that, I am healthy in that I don't take drugs or supplements other than some iodine, eat hardly any food that isn't organic. I'm not trying to change anything about my physical condition or health markers, nor am I trying to follow a Peat plan for my health. So my status quo is acceptable, in fact I'd characterize it as robust. I've never had a physician in my entire life though I did visit a doctor available to me when I had health insurance from time to time. And I've been sewed up a few times after injuries.

So maybe you can understand that my diet is designed to just keep me healthy, which means make minor changes to try something that might be better, but more or less "keep on keeping on" with what works? For instance, I went off grains a couple of years ago, just because it seemed prudent, though there was no sign they were damaging me. My health stayed the same. But this is to show that I do try things carefully and keep an open mind.

I'm male, 73 years old, 5' 11" and weigh 148 lbs. So I don't need much food. I'd guess I eat less than 2000 calories per day even though I work hard about an hour a day sometimes. I don't worry about how many calories I get from different foods. My main measure is how I feel, how much energy I have, and how I react (immediately) to foods I ingest. For instance, most fats and protein make me feel immediately sluggish, and any high glycemic carbs make me feel giddy and mentally shaky. Starches, either tubers or whole grains, are sort of neutral, but they do put on weight. All these "feelings" are how I choose foods. So the one set of foods that I feel more vibrant on are fibrous veggies. Wild leaves are more empowering than domestic vegetables, but both are acceptable. Fruits such as tomatoes are ok in small quantities. Fruits like berries give me instability. So essentially, I really minimize fruits. But things like cucumber, eggplant, squash are fine, just not as likely to make me feel vibrant-healthy. So there you have my "feelings alone" criteria.

The foods I eat turns out to be mostly fresh-picked greens (maybe 100-150 gm) plus eggs for breakfast, a large (up to 500-750 gm) salad for lunch, consisting of mostly veggies, but with Feta cheese, vinegar and olive oil, then more veggies like onions, squash, mushrooms (usually cooked and not more than about 150 gm) and usually some meat for a final meal of the day. So I guess that might approach 1000 gm of veggies, to address your question.

Of course that will contain a lot of vitamins and minerals that most meals that others choose can't come close to containing. I don't worry at all about how many "carbs" I'm getting, or what percent of my diet is carbs. I think more about nutrient density, as I think it's the little traces of this and that which count.

In fact this new habit I have of going without the supplements is less than a year old. But it seems to leave me healthy. So again, I do read, learn, and make changes.

I have no idea what my blood glucose is. I may buy a meter soon just for curiosity. All I know is that most juices knock me out, energetically and mentally. An apple is fine, and berries now and then, but I parted ways with my sweet tooth 40 or more years ago, so there's no interest in eating many of the foods that many people focus on here. I'm sure my life would be boring if not painful to most people, but I'm glad I have a way to enjoy it and feel really, really healthy. I wouldn't trade this feeling for what most other people have in order to eat honey and OJ or whatever it takes to get through a day in their life.

So to get back to the thread subject, "blood sugar regulation", I do it by not eating many things at all that get digested quickly and depend on insulin for handling inside the body. Most of the carbs I eat are to such a degree fiber, and not sugars or starches, that I am protected from all the worries that people have that focus on balancing sugars, starches, etc. About the main way I follow Peat is that I reduce polyunsaturated fats in my diet to just what I take in via the whole foods, but no more, and I'm a strong believer in the importance of mineral balancing, and the effect our foods have on the endocrine system, as well as the entire body.

So you might get the idea that, at age 73, and experiencing good health, though following an eating plan quite different than what is represented as Peat's basic grounds for health, I'm not very interested in changing my working formula, just to "see what happens". I am here to learn from others, and share what I know, because for me health is quite an interesting study and an enveloping hobby.

Your diet is quite similar to many people, and I've eaten that way myself. You might be surprised that many people here are not following a strict idea of a "Peat diet", but eating foods that work for them, or trying to find what does. I've eaten about every possible way over the years, high fiber, low fiber, vegan, vegetarian, low carb, mostly raw, and on and on. I think some of the recommendations from Peat have come in response to specific ailments, allergies, intolerances, health problems, etc but does not mean that everyone has to only eat those foods or avoid others. Good thyroid is important to health. One of the ways to do help with that is pufa avoidance. Beyond that, to me anymore, it's not so much what someone eats or doesn't eat, but this very important thing Peat has said: "Keeping the metabolic rate up is the main thing, and there are lots of ways to do it" and "My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods." No matter if it was the context of weight loss, this advice he gave to eat (whatever) to increase metabolic rate has made more difference in me than fiber or anything else.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals