Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine depletion

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some people have trouble taking aspirin even in small doses. Most often they get symptoms like tinnitus, GI discomfort, nervous system overexcitement, etc. It just happens that glycine (and also taurine) happen to help with all of these symptoms. So, I did some digging and it looks like aspirin may function like a non-specific "antagonist" to the glycine "receptor" and as such deplete glycine. Since glycine (and taurine) is an inhibitory neurotransmitter (independently of the conversion of glycine and taurine stimulating GABA release), glycine depletion by aspirin would explain the tinnitus and overexcitement of CNS. It is also interesting that glycine is given as an experimental antidote to aspirin poisoning, but none of the doctors I asked even knew about the potential interaction of aspirin and glycine, so this is new information as far as mainstream medicine is concerned.
Maybe some of the GI issues like ulcers aspirin is reported to cause do in fact occur in susceptible people with depleted glycine stores. In fact, as per Ray's articles, anybody eating modern diet high in muscle meats, drinking Splenda drinks, or having high estrogen probably has some level of neuroexcitoxocity from all of that poison, and thus glycine deficient. That would explain why in some people aspirin seems to have such bad effects as reported on this forum - i.e. feelings of raised estrogen, anxiety, stress hormone rush, insomnia, etc.
I wonder if the same is true of thyroid - if aspirin and thyroid are so close in action and some people just not reacting well to T4/T3, reporting nervousness/shaking/anxiety and so on, then maybe taking some extra glycine/gelatin would solve the problem?
Anyways, just an interesting find and some thoughts on boring Tuesday.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19594751

"...Salicylate effectively inhibited the maximal current mediated by native glycine receptors without altering the EC(50) and the Hill coefficient, demonstrating a non-competitive action of salicylate. Only when applied simultaneously with glycine and extracellularly, could salicylate produce this antagonism. In HEK293T cells transfected with either alpha1-, alpha2-, alpha3-, alpha1beta-, alpha2beta- or alpha3beta-glycine receptors, salicylate only inhibited the current mediated by those receptors that contained the alpha1-subunit. A single site mutation of I240V in the alpha1-subunit abolished inhibition by salicylate. Salicylate is a non-competitive antagonist specifically on glycine receptors containing alpha1-subunits. This action critically involves the isoleucine-240 in the first transmembrane segment of the alpha1-subunit. Our findings may increase our understanding of the receptors involved in the side effects of salicylate on the central nervous system, such as seizures and tinnitus."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2271231

"...Plasma glycine concentrations in healthy volunteers who had taken no aspirin remained constant through the day and were not affected by a therapeutic dose (500 mg) of aspirin. Plasma glycine was consistently lower in patients with aspirin overdose than in these healthy volunteers, suggesting depletion of available glycine. 4. Orally administered glycine and N-glycylglycine increased plasma glycine. While the fraction of total salicylate recovered as salicyluric acid was not altered, the maximum rate of excretion of salicyluric acid was higher in patients who received glycine than in the control group; there was no significant difference in the maximum rate of excretion of salicyluric acid between the group that received glycine and the group that received N-glycylglycine. 5. The data suggest that exogenous glycine increases the rate of formation of salicyluric acid in salicylate overdose."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2375880

"...Reduced excretion of salicylate as SUA was also accompanied by increased elimination as gentisic acid and salicylic acid phenolic glucuronide indicating that the unsaturated processes that lead to the formation of these metabolites contribute significantly (22-23%) to the inactivation of large doses of salicylate. 6. While the Michalis-Menten kinetics of ASA have been well demonstrated at lower doses, our findings illustrate the progressive saturation of SUA formation under conditions of increasing ASA load to toxic amounts and raise issues about the in-vivo glycine pool when ASA is taken in overdose."

Vinero

Re: Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine deplet

This is a very interesting finding.
Sometimes aspirin makes me feel overstimulated, even when taken with food and vitamin k2.

jyb

I typically get tinnitus after a while of aspirin, unless I get enough K2. That's even if I don't have obvious bloood thinned & K2 deficiency for coagulation.

Doesn't the fact that a high dose K2 (several mg's) alleviate a tinnitus show that it is a calcification problem (rather than a glycine deficiency)? Same side effect with vitamin E.

Milklove

I don't know. I had a different experience, when I first tried aspirin. From the beginning I took high amounts of vitamin k with my aspirin and still got a tinnitus and severe head pressure. Since I knew that these problems correlate with damage to the wall of the intestine I started taking gelatin before I went to sleep and I fully recovered instantly.

jyb

Milklove said:
I don't know. I had a different experience, when I first tried aspirin. From the beginning I took high amounts of vitamin k with my aspirin and still got a tinnitus and severe head pressure. Since I knew that these problems correlate with damage to the wall of the intestine I started taking gelatin before I went to sleep and I fully recovered instantly.

Hum, intestine wall problem leading to endotoxin and then tinnitus...but it could also be calcification, unless both are the same? I'm skeptic about the endotoxin story because I have the tinnitus from vitamin E too (and from good quality sources), even just some drops of progest-E applied on the gums.

"severe head pressure" is something I experience with vit K strangely so I'm curious about your testimonies.

Peata

jyb said:
I typically get tinnitus after a while of aspirin, unless I get enough K2. That's even if I don't have obvious bloood thinned & K2 deficiency for coagulation.

Doesn't the fact that a high dose K2 (several mg's) alleviate a tinnitus show that it is a calcification problem (rather than a glycine deficiency)? Same side effect with vitamin E.

Can you clarify what you meant by the bolded... Do you mean too much Vitamin E also gives you calcification?

jyb

Peata said:
Can you clarify what you meant by the bolded... Do you mean too much Vitamin E also gives you calcification?

Things like aspirin and vit E give me tinnitus. That's probably calcification and reversed with several mg's of K2.

Milky

There is definitely something to the glycine thing. I've added a spoonful or so a day for the last two weeks (usually before bed), and finally decided to try it with aspirin to see if it made a difference. I usually get ringing in ears as the most noticeable side effect and maybe a bit of a nervous, hot/sweaty feeling even with 1/2 or 1/4 of a 325mg tab (similar stuff happens with too much vit. E). The last two days I took 1/2 tab and today I took a full 325mg washed down with some OJ and a spoonful of glycine and haven't noticed a reaction. I'll experiment further and update if anything changes.

milk_lover

Milky said:
There is definitely something to the glycine thing. I've added a spoonful or so a day for the last two weeks (usually before bed), and finally decided to try it with aspirin to see if it made a difference. I usually get ringing in ears as the most noticeable side effect and maybe a bit of a nervous, hot/sweaty feeling even with 1/2 or 1/4 of a 325mg tab (similar stuff happens with too much vit. E). The last two days I took 1/2 tab and today I took a full 325mg washed down with some OJ and a spoonful of glycine and haven't noticed a reaction. I'll experiment further and update if anything changes.

Any Updates on this @Milky? Does this theory still hold grounds?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter

Hum, intestine wall problem leading to endotoxin and then tinnitus...but it could also be calcification, unless both are the same? I'm skeptic about the endotoxin story because I have the tinnitus from vitamin E too (and from good quality sources), even just some drops of progest-E applied on the gums.

"severe head pressure" is something I experience with vit K strangely so I'm curious about your testimonies.
How much Kuinone did you take before getting the severe head pressure?

Some people have trouble taking aspirin even in small doses. Most often they get symptoms like tinnitus, GI discomfort, nervous system overexcitement, etc. It just happens that glycine (and also taurine) happen to help with all of these symptoms. So, I did some digging and it looks like aspirin may function like a non-specific "antagonist" to the glycine "receptor" and as such deplete glycine. Since glycine (and taurine) is an inhibitory neurotransmitter (independently of the conversion of glycine and taurine stimulating GABA release), glycine depletion by aspirin would explain the tinnitus and overexcitement of CNS. It is also interesting that glycine is given as an experimental antidote to aspirin poisoning, but none of the doctors I asked even knew about the potential interaction of aspirin and glycine, so this is new information as far as mainstream medicine is concerned.
This is really interesting and helpful to know, because I hear so many people say how aspirin gives them trouble.

Dr. B

Things like aspirin and vit E give me tinnitus. That's probably calcification and reversed with several mg's of K2.
Wow, in both cases some sort of anti vitamin K effect? Does vitamin D give you the same effect, what about vitamin A? A is supposed to be anti calcification too…
I dont know if its worth using aspirin if you have to take a big K dosage with it
Full fat whole grass fed milk can get you like 180mcg K2 per half gallon i think

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals