Activated Charcoal - vote for your choice of purity by Oct. 14th

Vote for your preference and I'll make it stock ASAP.

• Super fine - $25/lb or $14/ half pound.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultra fine - $56/lb or $30/ half pound.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medial/Lab - $83/lb or $45/ half pound.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Bamboo powder - $30/Lb or $17/ half pound

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Granular Kidney Dialysis Carbon filter bed grade - $20/lb or $13/ half pound

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

healthnatura

Activated Charcoal - I have access to several of the best AC on the market today! Activated charcoal's ability to absorb toxins is based on surface area so the finer the grind the greater the area and the greater the ability to absorb contaminates. So powder is best. (some have concerns about absorption of fine grind so a granular is also listed.) I have several options that I have listed below. The price goes up as the surface area goes up and I want to know what you would prefer I carry for you.

All have a heavy metal specification of 0.05% or lower.
The additional information is provided by my supplier.

Super fine food grade - providing 1450 square meters of surface area per gram. Average particle size 7 microns. Ph 7-9 typical. Virtually no grit and smooth when mixed with water. Source coconut husk. $25/lb or $14/ half pound.
Additional Specifications:
Particle size
0.4 - 44 microns (Sieve #325)
Mean Particle diameter 7 microns
Total Surface Area minimum 1500 m2/g
Iodine Number (mg/g) 1250 minimum
CTC % 70 minimum
Moisture 8% maximum as packed
Apparent Density (g/cc) 0.38 typical
Total Ash <3.5%
Water Soluble Ash 0.3% typical
pH 7 - 9 typical

Ultra fine USP certified - provides 1600 square meters surface area per gram. Average particle size 8 microns. Ph Neutral. No grit. Source coconut husk. $56/lb or $30/ half pound.
Additional specifications:
Mean Particle Size:
8 - 15 microns
Phenazone Adsorption index 45% typical
Total Surface Area 1550 - 1600 m2/g
Iodine Number (mg/g) 1500 minimum
Moisture (as packed) <1% typical
Acid Soluble Ash 1% typical

Medical/lab grade ultra high purity - Minimum surface area 1700 square meters per gram. Poor size standardized. USP certified for medical & pharmaceutical use. High sensitivity equipment decontamination cleaning. Average particle size 10-50 microns. Ph neutral. $83/lb or $45/ half pound.
Additional specifications:
Total Surface Area minimum 1700 m2/g
Iodine Number (mg/g) 1550 minimum
Molasses number 430
Moisture 10% maximum as packed
Apparent Density (g/cc) 0.42 typical
Total Ash 2%
Acid Soluble Ash 1% typical
Heavy Metals .005 % max.
pH neutral

Bamboo - $30/Lb or $17/ half pound
Specifications:
Mesh Size:
Less than 325 mesh (44 microns) 85%
Total Surface Area minimum 1100 m2/g
Iodine Number (mg/g) 1020 minimum
Moisture 10% maximum as packed
Apparent Density (g/cc) 0.28
Bulk Density (lbs/ft3) 16-18 typical
Methylene Blue 240 mg/g minimum
Total Ash 8% maximum

Granular Kidney Dialysis Carbon filter bed grade - provides 1200 square meters of surface area. Acid washed to increase hardness and reduce degradation of particle size. Ph 5-8 typical. Source: Coconut husk. $20/lb or $13/ half pound
Additional specifications: US Standard Sieve or 1.68mm x 0.59mm
Mesh Size: 12X30, Sieve No.
Total Surface Area - minimum 1200 m2/g
Iodine Number (mg/g) 1100 minimum
Hardness number 98 minimum
Moisture 5% maximum as packed
Apparent Density (g/cc) 0.51 typical
Back Washed & Drained Density (lbs/ft3) 28-28.5 typical
Water Soluble Ash Less than 0.5%
pH 5-8

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There has been some recent discussion about maybe the bigger granules are better due to possible absorption issues. I hope some others weigh in on this.

jaguar43

Charlie said:
post 102050 There has been some recent discussion about maybe the bigger granules are better due to possible absorption issues. I hope some others weigh in on this.

Maybe someone should email Dr. Peat regarding the size. But I am definitely interested in trying activated charcoal !

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Sunmountain posted about what Dr. Peat told her about AC in her log recently.

jaguar43

Yea, just checked her log. She stated that he recommended granular AC. It would make sense to be granular because he doesn't think fine grind carrot has the same effects as a grated carrot. But I think it would be wise to email him just to be sure.

ilovewriting

jag2594 said:
post 102054
Charlie said:
post 102050 There has been some recent discussion about maybe the bigger granules are better due to possible absorption issues. I hope some others weigh in on this.

Maybe someone should email Dr. Peat regarding the size. But I am definitely interested in trying activated charcoal !

Having read a (putative) email from Ray Peat saying, "I’m not confident of the purity and proper particle size of the charcoal products that are available, so I think bamboo shoot and carrots, along with cascara sagrada as needed, are the safest way to keep endotoxin and estrogen under control," I wrote to ask:
Could you please tell me what activated charcoal you use, or might you use?

What do you think of the effects of different charcoal particle sizes?

He replied:
I generally recommend fibers such as carrot or bamboo shoots rather than charcoal, because of the uncertainty about the history of the charcoal, what it might have been exposed to.

As suggested above, I see that sunmountain reports, "RP told me to take granulated instead of powdered charcoal, and to add well-cooked bamboo and white button mushrooms."

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5443&p=94109&hilit=charcoal#p94109

jaguar43

ilovewriting said:
post 102065
jag2594 said:
post 102054
Charlie said:

Having read a (putative) email from Ray Peat saying, "I’m not confident of the purity and proper particle size of the charcoal products that are available, so I think bamboo shoot and carrots, along with cascara sagrada as needed, are the safest way to keep endotoxin and estrogen under control," I wrote to ask:
Could you please tell me what activated charcoal you use, or might you use?

What do you think of the effects of different charcoal particle sizes?

He replied:
I generally recommend fibers such as carrot or bamboo shoots rather than charcoal, because of the uncertainty about the history of the charcoal, what it might have been exposed to.

As suggested above, I see that sunmountain reports, "RP told me to take granulated instead of powdered charcoal, and to add well-cooked bamboo and white button mushrooms."

https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... oal#p94109

Thanks for the quotes. Even though he may advise against it's use, I think Healthnatura is able to distinguish good quality AC from the questionable products available.

ilovewriting

jag2594 said:
post 102064 Yea, just checked her log. She stated that he recommended granular AC. It would make sense to be granular because he doesn't think fine grind carrot has the same effects as a grated carrot. But I think it would be wise to email him just to be sure.

I asked,
Is there an advantage to granular activated charcoal over powdered?

Ray Peat replied,
I think so—the fine dust can be persorbed.

jaguar43

ilovewriting said:
post 102073
jag2594 said:
post 102064 Yea, just checked her log. She stated that he recommended granular AC. It would make sense to be granular because he doesn't think fine grind carrot has the same effects as a grated carrot. But I think it would be wise to email him just to be sure.

I asked,
Is there an advantage to granular activated charcoal over powdered?

Ray Peat replied,
I think so—the fine dust can be persorbed.

Cool, thanks for that. Hopefully HealthNatura can keep that in mind when deciding which one to order.

OP
healthnatura

healthnatura

I love the frank criticism and feedback on this forum! You all are fantastic and I appreciate you very much. I want to point out I set up this thread per some member requests about an AC product and I wanted your opinions before I entered into answering those requests with inventory. I'm not as versed on Ray Peat protocols or his opinions as you are. If your general consensus is a go then I'll stock the most popular one.
P.S. It would be very helpful to have more than 2 votes so please spread this thread around if you could. I want those with a desire for this product to have a chance to weigh in on it. This poll will end in 2 weeks.
I will also be looking for 4 members who currently take AC to trial a free sample of an initial batch if I bring it in. PM me if you want to participate.

Philomath

I'd use the granulated. I prefer to know the source of the coconut husk, whether or not it's organic, how it's processed. etc. I would also prefer it in capsule form too, plain powder is difficult to administer.
Thanks!

OP
healthnatura

healthnatura

As part of the vetting process I'll be investigating source materials used to make the product. This is a normal practice when I select products to inventory.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
charlie said:
For those times of need, I would like to source the best charcoal I can. Would it make a difference of what the charcoal is made of? I have read that bamboo is the best. Also, is granular activated charcoal the best? Is there a certain size or something specific I should look for?

Ray Peat PhD said:
I think granulated is best; particles are typically about 1 mm diameter. I think most of it is made from coconut shell.

I am gonna go with Ray on this one and use granulated from here on out.

:hattip

Why is kidney getting voted? I cannot find the micron size for it.

tara

I favour granulated, not the finest powders, based on what Peat has said about persorption.
Personally, I only use it occasionally, I have powder but next time would probably look for granulated. I prefer loose not encapsulated, because when I use it I want to use quite a bit more more than just a couple of capsules.

OP
healthnatura

healthnatura

Such_Saturation said:
post 102269 Why is kidney getting voted? I cannot find the micron size for it.
The dialysis medical grade is the only granular option too large to be rated in microns. It has a US Standard Sieve number of 12x30 or 1.68mm x 0.59mm or 0.0161 inches by 0.0232 inches.
I hope this helps.

jaguar43

I think the Granular Kidney Dialysis Carbon filter bed grade would be the best bet. Since the size and source are most compatible with the response given by Ray Peat.

I do have a question, is that AC used for Kidney Dialysis ? Or is that just a phrase used by the Activated Charcoal industry.

healthnatura said:
post 102276
Such_Saturation said:
post 102269 Why is kidney getting voted? I cannot find the micron size for it.
The dialysis medical grade is the only granular option too large to be rated in microns. It has a US Standard Sieve number of 12x30 or 1.68mm x 0.59mm or 0.0161 inches by 0.0232 inches.
I hope this helps.
ilovewriting said:

Thanks! That seems hard to swallow :shock: and could it get stuck in the appendix? I'm paranoid.

Makrosky

Since this is a Ray Peat forum I would go for what Peat recommends : Granulated.

I hope you ship to Europe!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom