Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

nwo2012

img5316z.jpg

Potatoes peeled and ready to go.

img5317ln.jpg

On the left is the juice+small amount of starch (it settles to the bottom) and on the right is pulp+majority of starch (this is how my juicer separates it).

img5318s.jpg

This is the juice+starch.

img5320d.jpg

Sadly Mrs nwo2012 did not show the scooping off (using a ladle) of the juice leaving just the starch on the bottom. :(
This is now a pot (safe non-reactive) full of the potato juice). Add lots of salt!

img5323ay.jpg

After about 40 minutes if cooking with occasional stirring and adding of water, we have the finished soup.
RP says you can cook just until it is thick but because I know there is probably a small amount of starch left in there I prefer to add water and cook longer.

Eat and enjoy.

narouz

Amazing.
Thank you so much nwo2012.
Truly inspiring.
And so romantic, "Mrs NWO2012".... :)

I now think of you as "Starch Killer."

J

j.

How often do you eat it and how do you feel?

Also, do you know the name of that machine that separates potato starch from juice?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very nice nwo2012! And a big thanks to Mrs. nwo.

So how does the soup taste?

OP
N

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Very nice nwo2012! And a big thanks to Mrs. nwo.

So how does the soup taste?

She says you are welcome. I find it tastes beautiful. But you need that salt.

OP
N

nwo2012

Tonight Im working nightshift over-time so Ive already had a bowl today and will have two more overnight (large glass tub )with tortillas and milk. :D
It tastes good cold btw, I havent used a microwave for over 3 years.

J

j.

I wonder if this is a better protein source than milk. It probably has a much higher percentage, so one can satisfy the daily requirement more easily. Of course, milk has other properties such a high amount of calcium.

narouz

I wonder how bad it would be to skip the peeling...?

Peeling a 10lb bag of potatoes...that's a Lot of work!
If I could just wash and quarter them
before feeding them into the juicer, man...
that would be a Big time saver... :roll:

I know the skin has some kind of evil stuff in it.
But you'd have to think the juicer would kick 97% of that out.
Then...I guess you'd have to imagine that some of the juice from the evil skin might seep into the extract/soup....
Still...I'm tempted.
I ain't got no Mrs. Narouz to peel mah 'taters... :cry:

Ray-Z

narouz said:
I ain't got no Mrs. Narouz to peel mah 'taters... :cry:

Narouz: When you attend social functions, do you find yourself inspecting the arms of the women in attendance, trying to ascertain who among them might excel at peeling potatoes? ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Bump. Making my first batch today.

And I will leave this here:

Ray Peat said:
To provide usable energy to the over-stressed brain (and heart), R.L. Veech has advocated the use of ketones, but the pure chemicals are expensive to make. An easily available and inexpensive source of ketones (in the form of ketoacids, which can be converted to amino acids if they aren't needed for energy) is the juice extracted(with a centrifugal juicer) from raw potatoes, which also contains proteins and other nutrients. The juice can be scrambled like eggs, and is usually tolerated even by very debilitated people.

Question, Ray Peat says they can be scrambled like eggs. So, does that mean I can keep the liquid in the fridge and just fry up a batch when I need it? Or, is it ideal to make the soup like nwo2012 did and cook it all at once?

kettlebell

Great question!

I was wondering exactly the same thing. I was considering storing the protein in the fridge uncooked and sealed in an airtight container until required for cooking. That would mean you could do a large juice once or twice a week and use it when required during the week.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think I am going to try that first, store the liquid then fry me up a portion when needed. However, nwo does have a point about the soup. It does seem difficult to make sure you get all the starch out. So, maybe it best to cook it for that 40 minutes to make sure the starch is rendered harmless. Or, strain it with a cheese cloth before putting the liquid in the fridge.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Scratch the cheese cloth, the holes are too big. Instead, I used a muslin bag. Worked perfectly.

kettlebell

Last time I did it I let it sit for a couple of hours and the starch settled well. Got rid of it, let it sit for another couple of hours and virtually no starch appeared at the bottom so im pretty sure letting it sit long enough will separate it out.

narouz

kettlebell said:
Last time I did it I let it sit for a couple of hours and the starch settled well. Got rid of it, let it sit for another couple of hours and virtually no starch appeared at the bottom so im pretty sure letting it sit long enough will separate it out.

As I noted earlier,
the real pain is the peeling.
I believe it was you, kettlebell,
who tried juicing without peeling...?
How did you feel about the result?
It would seem that the centrifugal juicer
would screen out that peel.
Now, I guess you could worry that some peel juice
might make it through... :roll:

But...skipping that peeling step would be Major.

And as you say,
if one could go ahead and juice a LOT of potatoes at one time,
and store that...
also a big timesaver, more efficient.

I wonder if it would freeze okay...?

kettlebell

narouz said:
kettlebell said:

As I noted earlier,
the real pain is the peeling.
I believe it was you, kettlebell,
who tried juicing without peeling...?
How did you feel about the result?
It would seem that the centrifugal juicer
would screen out that peel.
Now, I guess you could worry that some peel juice
might make it through... :roll:

But...skipping that peeling step would be Major.

And as you say,
if one could go ahead and juice a LOT of potatoes at one time,
and store that...
also a big timesaver, more efficient.

I wonder if it would freeze okay...?

Hi Narouz,

Yes, I juiced without peeling the potatoes. It seemed to taste ok as I gave them a good wash before juicing. I will peel when I do some this weekend and judge what the difference in taste is and let you know what I think the difference is. I have been using a mastication juicer with good results.

I don't imagine freezing the fresh protein juice would do any harm as its just protein but im just speculating. Might be worth a try to see what the taste is like after defrosting. To find out whether there is any deterioration in protein quality we would need to get on the Peat phone I imagine. If there is any deterioration I don't imagine it is anything to worry about.

Or we could grab one of these: http://www.clifford-james.co.uk/online. ... /yes/38664

kettlebell

WilltoBelieve said:
I'm already juicing my batatas.

Thanks so much the the pictures!

Bon apetit !

It makes a great snack. Mixing in some real stock gives it some protein and some extra vitamins and minerals + enhances the taste. Might be worth a try if you like that sort of thing.