Intestinal Radiation Increases Permeability

J

j.

Pharmacological Aspects of the Vascular Permeability Changes in the Rat's Intestine Following Abdominal Radiation

Irradiation of the abdomen of rats was followed by increased capillary permeability of the intestine to circulating protein-bound trypan blue; these changes are clearly visible 24 hours after X irradiation, and are maximal by 72–96 hours.

Pre-treatment of the rats with antihistaminics caused a marked suppression of the vascular changes during the first 24 hours, but has no subsequent effect. During the first 24 to 48 hours the ileum was almost completely depleted of histamine and 5 H.T.

The increased capillary permeability normally observed from 48 hours onwards could be markedly reduced by prior treatment of the animals with various anti-esterase drugs.

It is postulated that following irradiation of the abdomen, the increased capillary permeability of the intestine is mediated initially by histamine and then maintained by an enzyme system involving a protease or esterase.

Link

jyb

Increased permeability 72-96 hrs after exposure? That seems like a lot.

Just think about all those experiments with deuterated molecules.

Edit: in hindsight, deuterium is stable. I think I meant radioactive labelling.

Suikerbuik

X-rays are high energy (which needs to be to image the body), and are capable of producing ionizing radiation, though most is bremsstruhlung which emits EMR. Radiation increases oxidative stress, and high oxidative stress is harmful to a lot macromolecules (i.a. proteins and thus junctions).

Recovery is quite short I think. I don't want to know what the duration of permeability of the blood braind barier is! May be the same but may be longer too, usually gut cells have only a life-time of 3-4 days, which may explain the relatively fast healing time.

Suikerbuik

... so the cells here renew themselves every three to five days.

Funny article, didn't track it all down and not really on topic. However may be interesting for those not known with the human body.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...d--taste-buds-just-days-So-old-rest-body.html

Hope cell rejuvenation has nothing to do with it.. Otherwise increased permeability in the brain or other tissues probably last longer than a few days, if not some weeks. Would be a major stress and possible an event that may have (doesn't need to be) consequences for lifetime.

You have to deal with the estrogen side effects and a whole bunch of other effects. Also remember for example Polonium is an alpha emitter (LD50 1mcg).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals