Dentist wants me to do a dental x-ray?

freal

Dental x-ray. How bad is it. This will be my first dental x-ray. Should I fight with my dentist or take the x-ray?

jaguar43

freal said:
Dental x-ray. How bad is it. This will be my first dental x-ray. Should I fight with my dentist or take the x-ray?

I get massive headaches after x-rays. I would fight it, do you have serious dental issues.

OP
F

freal

Basically the dentist could not see for sure if there is a cavity. Therefore he gave me an x-ray- I never thought of x-ray until yesterday.

Peata

The xray situation has always been a source of stress for me when going to the dentist. When I started going to the dentist as an adult, I only let them do xrays maybe every couple years. You know they want to do them every 6 months.

My husband is trying to get in with a dentist but it's surprising how many wouldn't take him on as a new patient because he didn't want to have xrays. It was a pretty cut and dried thing for them. No xrays, no dental care. He found someone local who said they will see him with no xrays, so we'll see if the pressure starts when he gets in the office.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Asimov said:
Find a competent dentist who can afford a mirror.

Too funny! :rolling

Peata said:
My husband is trying to get in with a dentist but it's surprising how many wouldn't take him on as a new patient because he didn't want to have xrays. It was a pretty cut and dried thing for them. No xrays, no dental care. He found someone local who said they will see him with no xrays, so we'll see if the pressure starts when he gets in the office.

This, is mind boggling. :crazy:

Asimov

I may have a skewed perspective on this, but I haven't been to a dentist in over a decade and I'm just fine. I've never had a cavity, a bridge, a crown, braces, or anything other than general teeth cleanings (and the bi-annual chastising that goes along with them).

I got sick of the admonishment from my dentists so I decided not to go back. Haven't had a problem yet. Unless you REALLY need something done (searing pain in your teeth) evaluate whether they're worth the money or not. I never saw a return on my investment from dentist visits. Again I've NEVER had a cavity despite not a whole lot of thought or effort about my dental health. I'm sure I can't be the only one.

OP
F

freal

I am confused. Thyroid cancer??? Isnt only the part between nose and chain irradiated. Dont they have same kind of a lead shield if the x-ray goes through the thyroid. I always had lead shield for testicles when I did full body x-ray.

But I was googlin and the radiotion is supposed to be extremely small, the amount you get from background in 3-6hours.
I dont know.

Asimov said:

She definetely had a mirror when she was diagnosis. But ???

kiran

freal said:
Asimov said:

She definetely had a mirror when she was diagnosis. But ???

I think it was meant as a joke. Since it appears you're not a native english speaker, it's a funnier way of saying the same thing.

Claire28

The lowest does of radiation, whether it's from a mammogram or a dental x-ray, increases the risk of cancer. In a newly released e-book, "The Mammogram Myth: The Independent Investigation Of Mammography The Medical Profession Doesn't Want You To Know About" by Rolf Hefti, this is thoroughly discussed.

And, Ray Peat wrote the foreword to this work... (see Mammograms: Dangerous! Mammography Risks, Myths & Breast Cancer Facts .

Peata

A dental hygienist once said, after my protests of x-rays, "Oh, it's no more radiation than you get from a day in the sun."

Swandattur

The trouble is, of course, people like a dental hygienist don't actually know what they're talking about (on radiation.) They just think they do, I guess.
My sister and I both decided we were going to skip the mammograms from now on. She got tired of the pain and deep tissue damage the procedure caused and I didn't want to go through the stress of the whole "Oh my, looks like you have a something in there and we need to schedule a more intense mammogram" and then stab a hole in your breast to suck out the questionable material and test it and finally let you know you're safe this time, because it wasn't cancerous or anything like. Meanwhile, my stress levels have gone through the roof while I imagine how bad it could be. I about had a panic attack during the 'stabbing' procedure. It didn't actually hurt, as it turns out, just weird. For this part, they used an ultrasound to find it. Still, I started thinking I would prefer not to have more holes poked. I'm hoping a better diet may have reduced this kind of thing anyway. At the same time as I had this cyst in the breast, I also had a cyst come up just under my breasts in the middle. Actually it came up just after one of the procedures. I wonder if they are caused by the same thing.

Mittir

Peata said:
A dental hygienist once said, after my protests of x-rays, "Oh, it's no more radiation than you get from a day in the sun."

Ray Peat commented that comparing X-ray to out door radiation is completely wrong.
He said that out door radiation passes through our body without causing any major damage.
It is not the case for X- Ray.

Peata

Even my current dentist, who is more into natural health, pushes me into getting the xrays.

Going to the dentist is known to cause anxiety in a lot of people. The only thing about it that causes me anxiety is knowing I'm going to have to go through the xray hardsell from the staff and dentist.

Swandattur

Yes, I'm not looking forward to my next dentist appointment. I think my sister just tells them she can't afford the X-rays which is the truth, and they don't bother her. Maybe I should just stick to that, because it isn't far from the truth, anyway. Why should I have to pay big bucks to have something harmful done? I was thinking of taking that CNN article in to show them. I think they take more X-rays than than are officially recommended.

Mittir

Peata said:
Even my current dentist, who is more into natural health, pushes me into getting the xrays.

Going to the dentist is known to cause anxiety in a lot of people. The only thing about it that causes me anxiety is knowing I'm going to have to go through the xray hardsell from the staff and dentist.

In Josh Rubin 'Serotonin and Endotoxin" interview RP commented that within 1 hour of X-Ray Exposure
if someone gets red light exposure it minimizes the damage of X-Ray.