14-month-old With Fever (104’F)

Regina

FYI, Baby taken in to the ER with 104 would be getting, hooked up to IV drip, and a “septic work up,” which includes: blood panels, flu swabs, rsv swabs, Catheter urine sample, and chest x-ray. Based on the results an antibiotic, usually rosephin (cephalosporin) would be administered.
I'm literally crying. How utterly horrifying.

cardochav

I can't see any problems in that at all.....(pointing gun to my head!)

Even pediatricians are useless in our experience.

#stayawayfromdoctors
Couldn’t agree more, more like blunt shock therapy than any kind of skilled treatment. I mean that whole experience alone would prob give me adult onset autism if I went through that today. That's just the standard treatment nowadays even for 1 month olds from what I understand.

cardochav

such suffering.
How do they find people who would do it?
I'd rather dig coal.
Almost anything other job. The doctor in the family that I know does have autistic tendencies and seems pretty emotionally detached, it’s hard to have a conversation with him unless it’s about cars and stocks.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Yipppeeeeee! I kept checking today for you to update us on the lil guy.
Have a great weekend!
Thanks! This AM was rough, and I thought we might actually have to go to an urgent care clinic in the middle of this covid brouhaha, but he turned around after his nap, and all’s well again.

Best to you and your weekend! Hopefully we’ll get some more pretty spring days. I love Chicago this time of year.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Almost anything other job. The doctor in the family that I know does have autistic tendencies and seems pretty emotionally detached, it’s hard to have a conversation with him unless it’s about cars and stocks.
Ha. I think there are a lot of autistic doctors with horrible bedside manners, although most of the doctors I know personally or have interacted with as a patient are empathetic people who bewail the system and often blame hospital administrators for the bad standard of care.

i agree it’s best to avoid doctors and hospitals.

I once read that baking soda baths lower children’s fever. It helped lower my bfs fever once pretty impressively, he went from like 102-98 in a few hours. Glad to hear your baby is better but just something to try if it happens again.

That’s interesting and I want to try it next time.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Vax recently?
No ... in fact he missed his 12-month vaccines because we all had fevers/were coming down with a flu at the time, and our ped said to come back when he’s healthy. I am unwilling to take him in for vaccines until covid19 storm blows over. We will do it this summer sometime.

SOMO

The truth is most doctors become doctors for the money, not to help people.

RealNeat

No ... in fact he missed his 12-month vaccines because we all had fevers/were coming down with a flu at the time, and our ped said to come back when he’s healthy. I am unwilling to take him in for vaccines until covid19 storm blows over. We will do it this summer sometime.
Might be a blessing in disguise. Read Rays Vax in Context article if you haven't

HUF

I would watch vaxxed and vaxxed 2 movies and read the above mentioned article vaccines simply aren't done right, don't work and cause worse health outcomes.

LucyL

If you don't have a copy of "How to Raise a Healthy Child in spite of your Doctor" by Robert Mendelsohn I would heartily recommend it. His section on fevers alone is worth the cost. What we do is let the fever take its course during the day, but if it is over 103 at bedtime we will administer some ibuprofen. Not because that would be the best course of treatment, but because that reassures us parents :):

achillea

Chop up a clove of garlic and crush it with a knife. Put it in some gel like vasolene. Smear it on the babies feet soles and cover with some white socks that you can discard later. Do this as baby is going to nap. Cover with a sheet and a few blankets.
When I had a fever in the back country of the mountains I did this but also wrapped myself in a moist sheet with lots of blankets. In the morning the fever was gone and the sheet was dry but stained forever.

I have seen it work numerous times since then

catan

+1 on Robert Mendelsohn’s book. He says the body regulates temperature and will not exceed 106F (unless by external poisons or heatstroke).

I would do what I can to make the child comfortable without giving fever reducers. When my kids have run a high fever and there’s no other symptoms my approach is wait and see. They’re generally lethargic and sleep a lot, and have no appetite. Until age 3 or so they seem to nurse nonstop while sick. I make sure they’re peeing.

When my kids get high fevers (over 39C) it usually lasts a few days. (Lower fevers seem to be shorter and related to teething). I’d slept next to my kids at night when they’re sick and the fevers don’t run high continuously, often breaks after an hour or two before resuming, and would go on like this for the duration of the fever.

My 8 month old baby had a high fever a few weeks ago that lasted a few days. It followed the above pattern I described, and four days later after the fever broke he got little rashes all over his body. This happened to my daughter when she was 12 months old and the dr diagnosed it as roseola, viral and supposedly contagious. Just a thought— since this is common in babies and toddlers. My little one was around other kids when he got it but as far as I know none of them had it and he didn’t give it to anyone either (my second child has never had it).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals