5-HTP Increases Cortisol In Healthy Volunteers

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
L-5-Hydroxytryptophan induced increase in salivary cortisol in panic disorder patients and healthy volunteers

Hypersensitivity of brain serotonin receptors has been proposed as a causal mechanism in the pathophysiology of panic disorder. This theory can be tested, using serotonergic stimulation of the HPA axis. Up to now, plasma cortisol has generally been used as the outcome measure in such studies. Assessment of salivary cortisol is a non-invasive alternative to measure HPA axis activity.

Salivary cortisol levels were measured in 24 panic disorder patients and 24 healthy volunteers, following ingestion of 200 mg L-5-hydroxytryptophan or placebo.

A significant rise in cortisol was observed in both patients and controls following ingestion of L-5-hydroxytryptophan. No such effects were seen in the placebo condition.

The results show that L-5-hydroxytryptophan stimulated salivary cortisol is a useful probe of serotonin function in healthy volunteers as well as panic disorder patients, and provide some evidence against a serotonin receptor hypersensitivity in panic disorder.

Frankdee20

5HTP ruined my brain 20 years ago, and it took a very long time for me to bounce back...

Frankdee20

I’m not sure why that effected me so profoundly, but it was the worst 6 years of my life

Frankdee20

can you describe the symptoms that 5htp supplements gave you?

Would things like lysine/glycine/taurine help recovery?

There was a Dutch dude named Charles Groenindyk, who developed a very valuable and helpful website back then.... It’s no longer up, but it was called antidepressant facts dot com or something.... He ended up having a negative reaction to Prozac, and posted helpful information about the dangers of these drugs ... well 5htp effected me in very similar fashion.... Hypersensitivity of the nervous system was the main affliction....Some degree of Fibromyalgia like symptoms as well.... I could not take any supplements or drugs to help myself... The only remedy was time, and allowing the brain to heal .... Extremely harrowing and lonely experience for me ... Nobody would ever understand even if I told them .... It took me years to recover and become whole again.... I was broken

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals