50, lifelong focus on exercise and food, just had a heart attack

cremes

Hey, everyone.

Been lurking for a while and just joined (that "register" link pops up only periodically).

I'm 50, male, 6', and thought I was in pretty good shape. Had 110/70 BP and a lean body up until about 40 when I weighed 175-180 lbs. My dad got type2 diabetic later in life so I tracked my glucose all through my 30s and typically was 70-90 fasted. Likely drank a bit too much too regularly and ballooned to 195+ over the last decade and got hypertensive (160/90). This past June I suffered a mild heart attack (non-STEMI) shortly after a vacation where I had gotten my first case of COVID (presented as a 103F fever only). I can't prove it was the JnJ shot but the probability in my mind is definitely non-zero. The heart attack was only detected because my troponin levels were elevated beyond baseline but not by much. I was given the choice of a stress test or an angiogram and went with the angiogram so I would know *for sure* what was going on. Turns out I had 3-vessel disease with Type A lesions in the 3 main vessels amounting to 80+% blockage in each. Three stents later and good as new, lol.

My family has a little history of heart disease but not until much later in life (70+). So to find this out when I was 49 was a bit difficult. All those years of avoiding SAD and eating "right" didn't amount to a hill of beans. Since the heart attack I have re-focused on diet and exercise. Brad Marshall @ fireinabottle led me here. Not a drop of seed oils since July though I still eat beef + lamb with their PUFA.

Aside from my prescribed meds, I now take the following to supplement my diet. I know the goal is to eat so well you never need a supplement, but I don't think that's achievable, period.

5000 IU D3 (year round)
3 grams Vitamin C as ascorbic acid (added to my black tea + honey)
800 IU Vitamin E (Solgar mixed tocopherols but starting to use Tocovit from @haidut now, taken in morning)
3 grams Vitamin B3 (divided per the work done by Abram Hoffer)
2 black garlic pills daily (natural ACE inhibitor to augment my prescribed beta blocker)
1 b-complex multi
1 liter of k-water (potassium taurine bicarbonate, 6.5 grams of potassium bicarb + 6.5g taurine)
Vitamin K2 1200 mcg (taken in evening away from vitamin E)

From this forum I was introduced to Abram Hoffer and went down the B3 rabbit hole. That inevitably led me to doctoryourself.org and the Shutes' work with vitamin E. I had already heard of Dr. Linus Pauling and was supplementing 1g+ vitamin C; that's increased now as I try my hand at the concept of orthomolecular treatment.

For exercise I've gotten back to doing Heavyhands (google for Leonard Schwarz) and that's been going great. My cardio fitness is quite good and getting better. I've had an Oura ring for the past 2 years and tracked my HRV (heart rate variability) religiously. I was disappointed when my average HRV was bracketed between 20 and 40ms back then. Post heart attack, my HRV is typically sub-20ms. Sigh. Even sleeping grounded (I use my home's water pipe as ground instead of the electrical outlet) hasn't done much to improve that number.

As you can see, I am now fully wedded to exercise and a Peat-like diet with the addition of some megadose vitamins with grounding as a kicker. Something's gotta help, right?

Anyway, thought I'd introduce myself and say hello.

Napaoak

Familiar thread to me, looks like I could have wrote it. I would suggest looking At Patrick Thuet's work on Vitamin K (K-vitamins.com) he has a lot of REFERENCED information on the subject.

OP
C

cremes

I would suggest looking At Patrick Thuet's work on Vitamin K (K-vitamins.com) he has a lot of REFERENCED information on the subject.
Ah yes, Patrick Thuet. I have a bottle of his Koncentrated K that I have never finished. I should look at his materials again with my refreshed perspective and see what sticks this time.

I do take K2 (via InnovixLabs Full Spectrum K2 with MK-4 and MK-7). I'd have to go look at the bottle but I seem to recall that Koncentrated K was K1 and various forms of K2 for a total of around 45 milligram. I'm obviously not scared of megadosing so that doesn't bother me, but I think the relatively large price tag for it did bother me.

dfspcc20

@cremes what made you get your troponin levels checked? Or is that a routine thing after a certain age?

OP
C

cremes

what made you get your troponin levels checked? Or is that a routine thing after a certain age?
Apparently in my local ER that is standard practice to do when people come in with complaints about chest pain. They run a full panel to get your lipids too so they can harangue you about your cholesterol.

I'm glad they checked them. Otherwise, they would have sent me home and I'd probably be a current (or near future) victim of Died Suddenly.

OP
C

cremes

Just added Magnesium Ascorbate (buffered vitamin C) to my stack to make it easier to get a bit more C. And the add-on of magnesium (65mg) is pretty nice too. I take 1-2 grams of this buffered vitamin per day in addition to my 3 grams of ascorbic acid.

OP
C

cremes

Outside of the heart attack discussion, you take a lot of supplements.
I do now, yes. As I said in my original post, I don't think there's any such thing as a modern diet that will adequately cover all the nutrients we need.

Do you think the supplements are harmful? Why?

tankasnowgod

I'm 50, male, 6', and thought I was in pretty good shape. Had 110/70 BP and a lean body up until about 40 when I weighed 175-180 lbs. My dad got type2 diabetic later in life so I tracked my glucose all through my 30s and typically was 70-90 fasted. Likely drank a bit too much too regularly and ballooned to 195+ over the last decade and got hypertensive (160/90). This past June I suffered a mild heart attack (non-STEMI) shortly after a vacation where I had gotten my first case of COVID (presented as a 103F fever only). I can't prove it was the JnJ shot but the probability in my mind is definitely non-zero. The heart attack was only detected because my troponin levels were elevated beyond baseline but not by much. I was given the choice of a stress test or an angiogram and went with the angiogram so I would know *for sure* what was going on. Turns out I had 3-vessel disease with Type A lesions in the 3 main vessels amounting to 80+% blockage in each. Three stents later and good as new, lol.
I have never heard of this troponin test before. Have you looked into how reliable, or new, it is? The medical cartel offers all sorts of dubious surrogate tests, it's not just an issue with the sham COVID tests, nor the sham HIV tests (neither of which can directly detect a virus, since viruses aren't directly detectable in any sort of human or animal bodily fluid).

Have you had a full iron panel with ferritin done? When it comes to heart disease and cancer (the number one and two killers for the past few decades, even during the so called "Covid Pandemic"), elevated iron is usually present, and likely causal. In experiments like the FeAST trial, participants who lowered their ferritin below 80 ng/dl showed a dramatic reduction in both cardiac and cancer diagnosis. Keeping iron near deficiency is probably the best bet for extending both lifespan and healthspan.

If you do get the panel, don't just go by the lab ranges. The range for ferritin is too high, going from about 30-400. The benefits of iron reduction are seen when ferritin is kept under 80, so just having "normal ferritin" could still be too high, if it's anywhere in the 80-400 range.

OP
C

cremes

I have never heard of this troponin test before. Have you looked into how reliable, or new, it is?
I can't determine how long the test has been in use, but a quick google search will turn up lots of references at Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc. It's a protein that only exists in your heart muscle so when this protein is present in your blood (above background levels) then you've had a heart event. Regardless of the veracity of the test, I got an angiogram that clearly showed the blockages. I saw the video plus I was (somewhat) awake on the table while it was going on. The cardiologist and his team were a bit surprised to find the blockages since my EKG was clear and my blood panels looked fine.

Have you had a full iron panel with ferritin done?
This is a great suggestion and one I will follow up on. In my youth, I gave blood every 6 weeks. When I hit my 40s and my blood pressure was rising, the blood bank started to refuse to take my blood because my BP was too high. Their rules were that you had to be below 160/90 for them to take it. I'd get readings like 163/85 and they would refuse me, lol. So I haven't had a chance in the last decade to do any regularly bleeding to reduce my iron levels.

I did briefly look into phlebotomy centers that would just take my blood on a regular basis but I couldn't find any in my area (western burbs of Chicago). I'll have to look into dietary mechanism to reduce iron; if it means giving up meat then I'm a no go, haha. I'll have to restart my search for a phlebotomist.

steel_reserve

I do now, yes. As I said in my original post, I don't think there's any such thing as a modern diet that will adequately cover all the nutrients we need.

Do you think the supplements are harmful? Why?
In the absence of good data, I apply Pareto's law. 80% of the benefits come from the first 20%.

It might be one supplement, probably two. I assume by your list that you are very sick.

OP
C

cremes

It might be one supplement, probably two. I assume by your list that you are very sick.
I have high blood pressure and suffered a heart attack at 49. Yes, I am sick.

If eating better could have cured me, I never would have had these issues at all. Something is missing. Orthomolecular medicine to the rescue?

OP
C

cremes

As of 5 days ago, I added policosanols to my daily. 20mg twice per day. I ordered from Purebulk and got 100 grams for $70 or so.

In the meantime, as I posted on another thread I am developing some acanthosis nigracins from the high dose niacin. I was taking 1 gram 3x per day for 3 grams total. I have reduced that to twice per day for 2 grams total. I am hopeful that the beneficial lipid and blood pressure effects from policosanol can replace the B3.

As an aside, I stopped grounding. My wife won't tolerate the wire running through the bedroom anymore. However, I did get her to agree to allow me to raise the bed 3 inches for a small incline. We'll work up to 7 inches eventually for the 5% incline recommended (by inclinedbedtherapy.com). My sleep has worsened over the week since the change, LOL.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals