A Safe Organic Sunscreen

OP
W

Wilfrid

Amazoniac said:
Great!
My concerns are the white cast left by it and probably won't be easy to spread and remove.

I will keep you updated :D

dd99

That's great, thanks for sharing. And it's also available in the UK on red23.cco.uk

you

Ingredients.

25% non-nano Zinc Oxide
Eldorado Springs Artesian Water
Certified Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Certified Organic Beeswax
Vegetable Vitamin E (non-gmo from sunflower seeds)
Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol, 400IU/ounce sunscreen)

Seems pretty good, though olive oil isn't perfect, I suggest http://www.butterbeansunscreen.com/sunscreen.html

You can get it w/o apricot kernel oil if you're worried.

pboy

to be honest I don't think there is such a thing. You're better off without any...just keeping it real. Clothing or a hat is the best, or just move in and out of the sun as you please. Rubbing anything on the skin is pretty much always a bad idea, things are more easily absorbed than you might realize, and even if its oil or something...its generally not good to put things into circulation that didn't go through the digestive tracts discernment first

TeslaFan

Why just not follow Ray Peat advice for sunscreen?

Few quotes:

“Coconut oil has been used for generations in ” suntan lotions, ” and whether it is absorbed through the skin or eaten as a food, it clearly has a protective antioxidant function.”

“Coconut oil is very resistant to radiation damage and, like vitamin E, tends to stop the chain reactions that occur in unsaturated fats. The old formula for suntan oil, coconut oil with iodine, might turn out to be a safe sunscreen, since the brown iodine absorbs light, as other ” U.V. blockers ” do, but iodine is also an effective chain breaker that inactivates free radicals, and it can’t be absorbed into cells in its brown form. It doesn’t have the potential for causing cancer that the popular sunscreens do.”

“Decrease the use of unsaturated oils in the diet, and use coconut oil as food and also on the skin during exposure to direct sunlight.”

pboy

yea and as comparatively safe as coconut oil might be, it has like a 3 SPF...pretty negligible...the iodine thing is interesting, but the whole thing actually silly...sun screen? I mean t hink about it...why?

Maybe its a health thing, I can spend hours in the direct sun and never burn or have any adverse reaction. Im attracted to the sun as much as I am good food/drink now, its extremely good for mood, vision, insights, healing, its antimicrobial, I breath easier, get an energy boost, its pro dopamine and anti serotonin...its a barometer, if you cant be in the sun its an internal problem, same with it bothering your eyes

I think its mostly a fat soluble toxin issue, probably pufas as the dominant thing, and also bacterial...the cleaner your intestines are, the more sun is attractive rather than something to shield from

OP
W

Wilfrid

you said:
Ingredients.

25% non-nano Zinc Oxide
Eldorado Springs Artesian Water
Certified Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Certified Organic Beeswax
Vegetable Vitamin E (non-gmo from sunflower seeds)
Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol, 400IU/ounce sunscreen)

Seems pretty good, though olive oil isn't perfect, I suggest http://www.butterbeansunscreen.com/sunscreen.html

You can get it w/o apricot kernel oil if you're worried.

Hi you,

Thanks for the reply. When I was doing my search, I came across this sunscreen thanks to Dan and its " toxinless " website. However, I think that they changed their original formula for 2015.
It seems to include more vegetable oils ( like sunflower oil ).

OP
W

Wilfrid

pboy said:
to be honest I don't think there is such a thing. You're better off without any...just keeping it real. Clothing or a hat is the best, or just move in and out of the sun as you please. Rubbing anything on the skin is pretty much always a bad idea, things are more easily absorbed than you might realize, and even if its oil or something...its generally not good to put things into circulation that didn't go through the digestive tracts discernment first

Hi pboy,

You're right.
I don't use any sunscreen myself, but at first I was looking for the "least toxic" one for my eight months old baby. As much as possible, I won't use the sunscreen all over her body but only on legs and forearm.
You also raised a very good point about sunscreen's toxic chemical absorption through the skin, Zacarías León Gonzáles made a very good summary ( including harmfull estrogenic effects ) of percutaneous absorption of chemicals from commercial sunscreen:

http://libgen.org/book/index.php?md5=a8 ... a5507e569e

Amazoniac

Spf 3 is not negligible since the protection doesn't increase in a linear curve. Our skin if I recall correctly offers a factor of 4 when it's not damaged. So adding that protection is really significant.
And a zinc oxide + coconut oil combination seem pretty safe for long exposures.

Dan W

This is a great find, thank you Wilfrid. And it looks like you're right about Butterbean reformulating for 2015. I'll update my page to recommend and remove Butterbean and recommend Green Screen.

And I think zinc oxide sunscreens are still useful. I've been having good luck with coconut oil, internal aspirin, vitamin E, and Haidut's Solban, but I think zinc oxide is a good physical-barrier addition for long periods in the sun. That said, I'm so pale I get sunburned just typing the word "sunburn".

bobbybobbob

Clothing or a hat is the best

Not only is wearing a desert style keffiyeh with a long sleeve white t-shirt more effective and easier than any topical product, it's also great fun.

Yi154c3.jpg

Rock this gear on the beach and enjoy the space and respect you get.

A big sombrero or keffiyeh and long sleeves and long pants are really are the best way to deal with the sun. I went on a big long kayak voyage today with the Florida sun beating down while wearing my keffiyeh, and thin breathable cotton over the rest of my body. No sun exposure problems. The properly made keffiyehs breathe so well heat isn't an issue. Once you wet a cheap cotton long sleeve T-shirt you stay cooler than without it. I got eyeballed hard by hicks in powerboats. The FBI maybe got calls as I passed under bridges.

Beehelp

I use sesam and some other oils and beeswax for the cream for my doughter. This cream also useful in winter, when it's windy and frosty

CoolTweetPete

I've found that eating saturated fat (specifically coconut oil) seems to be fairly protective. Even when I get a sunburn, it heals far faster than it used to when I still ate a lot of PUFA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals