Acne

EIRE24

So the last 7-8 months I've had persistent acne and dry irritated/flaky skin. Before I adopted a peat style reccomended diet I ate a typical bodybuilder diet of lots of whey protein powder, chicken, steak, oats, rice, sweet potatoes, vegetables and rarely ate fruit or sugar alone. I had no acne or skin issues at all. I then discovered peats ideas and switched my diet up completely. I started consuming gelatin, milk, fruit, liver but still consumed things like potatoes, rice and chicken. For a while things went great but then I broke out in acne. I've tried all the reccomendations on here including zinc, vitamin A but the only thing that has helped is a hydrogen peroxide cream I got from a doctor after I became frustrated with no improvements from diet.

This is affecting my confidence and social life as a 22 year old male with a girlfriend. I find it very strange that even after switching my diet back to mostly rice, chicken and a little well cooked veg keeping it low in fat the skin issues still persist? I'm wondering if I messed up my gut when I switched diets but I don't know what the hell is going on?

Please if anyone can chime in and help or reccomend anything that will clear the skin I would really appreciate it.

P.S- I had labs done and it showed my TSH was 2.18 and liver enzymes were perfect. The only thing that seemed strange was my white blood cell count was low and also my potassium was higher than the normal range.

Thanks a million for your time and I'm hoping I can solve this issue

meatbag

So the last 7-8 months I've had persistent acne and dry irritated/flaky skin. Before I adopted a peat style reccomended diet I ate a typical bodybuilder diet of lots of whey protein powder, chicken, steak, oats, rice, sweet potatoes, vegetables and rarely ate fruit or sugar alone. I had no acne or skin issues at all. I then discovered peats ideas and switched my diet up completely. I started consuming gelatin, milk, fruit, liver but still consumed things like potatoes, rice and chicken. For a while things went great but then I broke out in acne. I've tried all the reccomendations on here including zinc, vitamin A but the only thing that has helped is a hydrogen peroxide cream I got from a doctor after I became frustrated with no improvements from diet.

This is affecting my confidence and social life as a 22 year old male with a girlfriend. I find it very strange that even after switching my diet back to mostly rice, chicken and a little well cooked veg keeping it low in fat the skin issues still persist? I'm wondering if I messed up my gut when I switched diets but I don't know what the hell is going on?

Please if anyone can chime in and help or reccomend anything that will clear the skin I would really appreciate it.

P.S- I had labs done and it showed my TSH was 2.18 and liver enzymes were perfect. The only thing that seemed strange was my white blood cell count was low and also my potassium was higher than the normal range.

Thanks a million for your time and I'm hoping I can solve this issue

From my experience and what I've read, Acne is a systemic issue and its an issue that involves many of the aspects that Peat addresses; nutrients, thyroid, youth-associated hormones, estrogen excess, blood-sugar disregulation, endotoxin, autotomic systems, FFA's, and inflammation.

We are the same age and this is an issue I've seen huge improvments in, and I'll say that the product Solban gave me rapid improvments in acne and in scarring and I don't think it has the issues Hydrogen Peroxide can cause.

A quote that gets thrown around a lot is; "When people supplement thyroid and eat liver once or twice a week, their acne and dandruff (and many other problems) usually clear up very quickly.

To me this is the essence of Peat's method; ensure thyroid is working and that the building blocks (vitamin A) of the youth associated hormones are present so that thyroid can generate them. Liver alone won't solve the problem if thyroid isn't operating at the cellular level.

I think it's helpful to think of acne as systemic problem of dysfunction metabolism rather than an issue of the skin in isolation.

What's your waking an resting Temp/ Heart Rate?

OP
E

EIRE24

From my experience and what I've read, Acne is a systemic issue and its an issue that involves many of the aspects that Peat addresses; nutrients, thyroid, youth-associated hormones, estrogen excess, blood-sugar disregulation, endotoxin, autotomic systems, FFA's, and inflammation.

We are the same age and this is an issue I've seen huge improvments in, and I'll say that the product Solban gave me rapid improvments in acne and in scarring and I don't think it has the issues Hydrogen Peroxide can cause.

A quote that gets thrown around a lot is; "When people supplement thyroid and eat liver once or twice a week, their acne and dandruff (and many other problems) usually clear up very quickly.

To me this is the essence of Peat's method; ensure thyroid is working and that the building blocks (vitamin A) of the youth associated hormones are present so that thyroid can generate them. Liver alone won't solve the problem if thyroid isn't operating at the cellular level.

I think it's helpful to think of acne as systemic problem of dysfunction metabolism rather than an issue of the skin in isolation.

What's your waking an resting Temp/ Heart Rate?

I would agree with you on what you've said. Although, before I was definitely not healthy and had no acne whatsoever so I don't understand why it has become such a big problem now.

I'm not sure of my waking and resting temp and pulse but I will take it in the morning and let you know.

It is extremely frustrating as I see guys my age gorge on crappy pufa filled foods, have late nights and drink extreme amounts of alcohol without a blemish.

T

tobieagle

Ive used BPO (similar action as HPO) for years against acne and it definitely causes premature skin aging.
I would not use it as a long term therapy.

jyb

It is extremely frustrating as I see guys my age gorge on crappy pufa filled foods, have late nights and drink extreme amounts of alcohol without a blemish.

Yep, I know the feeling. When I did a lower fat diet (this was largely milk+OJ), I took a regular, daily dose of retinol and it helped more than a weekly slice of beef liver. I definitely think diet alone can control the frequency of the larger cystic type acne (and reduce it to almost zero), but as a short term fix while you figure out the root cause, a supplement like retinol is already pretty good. And a lot of that has nothing to do with pufa in my experience (eating pufa is not the only thing that could cause wild acne!).

meatbag

I would agree with you on what you've said. Although, before I was definitely not healthy and had no acne whatsoever so I don't understand why it has become such a big problem now.

I'm not sure of my waking and resting temp and pulse but I will take it in the morning and let you know.

I can relate. For a short period of time before Peat I had no acne but was in a terrible state in almost every other aspect. I know it seems like some people can do whatever they want and have a seemingly impossible resiliency. There's actually a an email or excerpt from a KMUD interview from Peat where someone asked him about why some people can eat whatever they want and see no negative effects, I can't remember the response though.

OP
E

EIRE24

Yep, I know the feeling. When I did a lower fat diet (this was largely milk+OJ), I took a regular, daily dose of retinol and it helped more than a weekly slice of beef liver. I definitely think diet alone can control the frequency of the larger cystic type acne (and reduce it to almost zero), but as a short term fix while you figure out the root cause, a supplement like retinol is already pretty good. And a lot of that has nothing to do with pufa in my experience (eating pufa is not the only thing that could cause wild acne!).

You don't run a low fat diet anymore? What kind of diet would you reccomend to keep acne at a minimum? I'm not so sure retinal has helped me at all. I have never tried a high dose of vitamin A due to being scared of an over dose and the effects. I note that as well about the pufa. It doesn't seem to make my acne much worse but fruit and sugar definitely does

OP
E

EIRE24

I can relate. For a short period of time before Peat I had no acne but was in a terrible state in almost every other aspect. I know it seems like some people can do whatever they want and have a seemingly impossible resiliency. There's actually a an email or excerpt from a KMUD interview from Peat where someone asked him about why some people can eat whatever they want and see no negative effects, I can't remember the response though.

I was the exact same before a peat diet. No acne but a few other weird symptoms. I'd definitely go back to the way I was before having no acne though but what ever I do I still have acne. I'm at my wits end at this stage.

jyb

You don't run a low fat diet anymore? What kind of diet would you reccomend to keep acne at a minimum? I'm not so sure retinal has helped me at all. I have never tried a high dose of vitamin A due to being scared of an over dose and the effects. I note that as well about the pufa. It doesn't seem to make my acne much worse but fruit and sugar definitely does

My use of supplemented retinol was a medium amounts at every breakfast (by medium, I mean over the RDA but maybe not what you get from a beef liver meal). And it worked fast, within a few days I could tell I was doing something different. Now I do high sat fat and do not supplement retinol on that diet as I usually don't have acne anymore. I could still have it on rare occasions, but I feel that could be prevented by occasionally eating liver, and so sometimes I still eat that thinking that it is also good for other things like K2 or D.

bobbybobbob

Try a meat and coke/pepsi only diet for five days. If you start clearing up noticeably, then you'll know its fundamentally a gut issue or there's a food allergy/irritant at play. Consider appropriate fixes from there. Milk and OJ only would be the other choice, but those foods seem to have their own set of problems. It's a lot easier to be pretty sure a good beef roast isn't causing you grief.

If aside from the skin you feel good it's unlikely to fundamentally be a vitamin thing. People get suckered into wasting a lot of time and money on that stuff.

jyb

If aside from the skin you feel good it's unlikely to fundamentally be a vitamin thing. People get suckered into wasting a lot of time and money on that stuff.

The symptom might look harmless, but I think it is suggestive of something fundamentally wrong and therefore is a warning sign (that's if you believe that the cause is inflammation from endotoxin, itself due to a weak gut barrier). A particular food could cause acne, but only because the barrier is weak and so you need to know why it is weak in the first place. If acne is frequent then the cause is not a particular food, otherwise it would be enough to avoid that food. When it is persistent you have to blame an overall metabolic problem.

Last edited:

PhilParma

During the winter I was taking 15k-30k IU (average ~20k IU) daily retinyl palmitate in order to see if it would help with seborrheic dermatitis and possibly eliminate all traces of acne. It didn't, but after a month or two I started getting chronic toxicity symptoms--strained vision, muscle fatigue, general fatigue, depression. So just be careful.

OP
E

EIRE24

Try a meat and coke/pepsi only diet for five days. If you start clearing up noticeably, then you'll know its fundamentally a gut issue or there's a food allergy/irritant at play. Consider appropriate fixes from there. Milk and OJ only would be the other choice, but those foods seem to have their own set of problems. It's a lot easier to be pretty sure a good beef roast isn't causing you grief.

Never thought about doing meat only diet to See if things cleared but I'm already very skinny and would be scared I'd lose too much weight. Also, would the coke/Pepsi not interfere with gut too and cause acne? For a while I tried to eat more protein and meat but after eating meat at breakfast I got terrible gas and it smelled like chicken which is the meat I was eating.

I don't think it's a vitamin deficiency anyway. Obviously I'm not sure what it is that's causing it but I wouldn't go down the path of taking different vitamins, like you said I feel like it's a waste of time.

OP
E

EIRE24

During the winter I was taking 15k-30k IU (average ~20k IU) daily retinyl palmitate in order to see if it would help with seborrheic dermatitis and possibly eliminate all traces of acne. It didn't, but after a month or two I started getting chronic toxicity symptoms--strained vision, muscle fatigue, general fatigue, depression. So just be careful.

Yes. This would be my worry and this is why I don't take a large dose. I never had to take vitamin A before so why would I have to do it now for acne? I don't think it's a vitamin A deficiency but I could be wrong

bobbybobbob

I'm already very skinny and would be scared I'd lose too much weight.

You'd only lose weight if you didn't eat enough calories. You'd be drinking liters of coke every day on this.

Also, would the coke/Pepsi not interfere with gut too and cause acne? For a while I tried to eat more protein and meat but after eating meat at breakfast I got terrible gas and it smelled like chicken which is the meat I was eating.

Coke will not interfere with the gut at all. That's the whole point. It's very unlikely you really have problems digesting meat. It was probably something else.

I'd not suggest a permanent meat and coke diet. This is just something to do for a week to see what happens. If it works then you know the main thing is to be really careful with food until your gut is stronger.

Do you eat fiber? A lot of people seem to do just fine without it, but I find it necessary for my health. I eat a few vegetables a week now, as well as two whole raw apples a day followed by two carrots to arrest any endotoxin. I don't know if fiber would help your acne, but to me the problem is almost certainly bacteria related, so manipulating your gut bacteria will probably be the remedy, and eating normal fiberous foods is safer than antibiotics, although i think doxycycline is pretty safe. I know someone who for years took doxy for their acne, it definetely helped, but didn't eradicate the acne entirely. ( Not saying take doxycycline, try fiber!)

BTW you can easily eat over 100k vit A in a meal of liver... of course it has the other fat solubles so it is balanced, but still a large dose like that won't be toxic for a healthy person. I took 150k of just retinol powder once and felt great... probably stupid of me not to take the other fat solubles with it, but I survived.

jyb

I know someone who for years took doxy for their acne, it definetely helped, but didn't eradicate the acne entirely..

I did that for years in my early 20s, a very common thing prescribed by doctors for acne. As you say it helps but not great. Just like retinol, it is a temporary measure until you find a better solution. Looking back, I think retinol was more powerful than doxy, though.

Dopamine

I feel you buddy because I have had similar issues with acne on my back and shoulders. I have since eliminated my acne by probaly at least 90% and climbing... it is hardly noticeable anymore... I attribute this to a number of things:

1. Try completely cutting out milk- I found this was likely the major cause of my acne. Replace your milk consumption with a low/moderate fat cheese like low fat mozzarella.

2. Sun Tan. Direct sun exposure (tanning) completely reduces the inflammation and acne. I don't know if it helps the underlying problem or if its more just covering it up but it helps massively. It also more or less eliminates acne scarring.

3. Get better sleep. What are your sleep habits like? I've found stress makes my acne worse and makes my skin more oily. I would recommend shutting off all electronics past a certain point before bed... (say 10pm) then have a hot shower, snack, read a boring book in bed until you start nodding off.

4. Wear clean soft cotton shirts at all times to reduce acne on your back. Change your pillow case and sheets often if you don't already.

5. Stay Warm- High metabolism, hot showers, warm clothes, wool socks, lots of blankets in bed etc...

6. Strangely enough I find psychedelics reduce my acne for a few days probaly through decreasing serotonin levels. I particularly like sub visual doses of LSD or AL LAD if you have access to it. (Not necessary but something to note)

Also have you switched to a new shampoo or soap that could be causing skin irritation? Something to think of.

Last edited:
OP
E

EIRE24

You'd only lose weight if you didn't eat enough calories. You'd be drinking liters of coke every day on this.

Coke will not interfere with the gut at all. That's the whole point. It's very unlikely you really have problems digesting meat. It was probably something else.

I'd not suggest a permanent meat and coke diet. This is just something to do for a week to see what happens. If it works then you know the main thing is to be really careful with food until your gut is stronger.

Pretty hard and boring to just drink coke all day and I'd imagine it would be hard to be full on this.

Why would coke not interfere with gut, I thought if some sort of bacterial overgrowth was there then sugar wouldn't necessarily help just like it messed me up before?

What meat would you recommend eating then? What would be the protocol for making the gut stronger?

OP
E

EIRE24

Do you eat fiber? A lot of people seem to do just fine without it, but I find it necessary for my health. I eat a few vegetables a week now, as well as two whole raw apples a day followed by two carrots to arrest any endotoxin. I don't know if fiber would help your acne, but to me the problem is almost certainly bacteria related, so manipulating your gut bacteria will probably be the remedy, and eating normal fiberous foods is safer than antibiotics, although i think doxycycline is pretty safe. I know someone who for years took doxy for their acne, it definetely helped, but didn't eradicate the acne entirely. ( Not saying take doxycycline, try fiber!)

BTW you can easily eat over 100k vit A in a meal of liver... of course it has the other fat solubles so it is balanced, but still a large dose like that won't be toxic for a healthy person. I took 150k of just retinol powder once and felt great... probably stupid of me not to take the other fat solubles with it, but I survived.

I was just thinking of increasing things like cooked veggies and other sorts of fibre actually to see if it made any difference. I was cautious about this also though as it may slow down transit time and things may ferment or give bacteria more time to feed.

I've also thought hard about an anti biotic but again was cautious as at times it just makes things much worse in the long run. If it persists into the summer then I will most definitely be getting an anti biotic.

I actually found that my acne started around the time I was consuming more liver. I would have no problem eating it for the vitamin A but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with why I began to get acne out of nowhere in the first place?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals