Adrenalin Or Cortisol Issue

or something else? I have had Hashimoto's for 30 years and taking T4. TSH was in normal range until I went on a very low carb diet last year and ended up with a TSH of 19.8. Found the Ray Peat forum and have become more aware of the connection between diet/activity and symptoms. I have had severe insomnia for over ten years. I either cannot fall asleep or wake up around 3am. I have tried the 'sleepy dust' if I awake around 3a and it seems to work. Many times, however, I just can't fall asleep. I feel wired, nasal congestion, slight headache, and an internal 'buzzy' feeling. So I get up, have a piece of cheese and some aspirin. Sometimes it works but usually I have to add in 5-10mg of valium. Of course, the next day I feel pretty sick.
I have now been able to associate this difficulty falling asleep with doing some mild to moderate cardio during the day. With Hashimoto's I have learned that I cannot do any type of intense exercise. I stick with pilates, yoga, or treadmill walking. It is on the days that I spend 1 hour on the treadmill at 3.5mph that I cannot fall asleep. I try to make sure I do this in the morning so as not to disrupt my sleep but it still does. I do make sure I eat something light before bed - maybe cheese and orange juice. Does anyone have any suggestions?

superhuman

Hmm there is alot out there on Ray`s website where he talks about.

First off i would not take aspirin and cheese only, thats protein and fat without sugar which will raise adrenaline and cortisol even higher.

Things that reduce cortisol and adrenaline are sugar,aspirin,pregnenolone,niacinamide,enough protein but make sure sugar to protein is at least 2:1 ratio, salt (5 grams a day as a starting point), bag breathing and sodium bicarbonate.

Why walk 1 hour a day? does not make sense and esp on a treadmill. Walking is good but do it out in nature and when you want not because you think you have to.

Simonsays

RP: Increased body temperature improves sleep, especially the deep slow wave sleep. A hot bath, or even warming the feet, has the same effect as thyroid in improving sleep. Salty and sugary foods taken at bedtime, or during the night, help to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Both salt and sugar lower the adrenalin level, and both tend to raise the body temperature.

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
So you think this is more of an adrenalin issue? It surprises me that I am unable to clear this excess adrenalin by the time I get to bed. It's funny because I feel relaxed but within 30 minutes of getting into bed I get these symptoms and just can't fall asleep until 1-2a. I will go ahead with the sugar, salt, warming, etc. Could this also be a blood sugar issue?

tara

It is on the days that I spend 1 hour on the treadmill at 3.5mph that I cannot fall asleep. I try to make sure I do this in the morning so as not to disrupt my sleep but it still does. I do make sure I eat something light before bed - maybe cheese and orange juice. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe don't go on the treadmill? A gentle walk somewhere pleasant outdoors, or some yoga, or short period with some more strenuous work - body weight or weights?
That hour on the treadmill could potentially be enough to reduce your T3 production.

First off i would not take aspirin and cheese only, thats protein and fat without sugar which will raise adrenaline and cortisol even higher.
+1
I either cannot fall asleep or wake up around 3am.
Could this also be a blood sugar issue?
Yip. Might be something else, but low blood sugar is a pretty good way to stress hormones up too much for sleep.
Consider sticking something sweet - eg OJ or sugared milk - beside the bed to drink immediately if you wake up at 3am. Or something solid you can eat without sitting up or opening your eyes.
Are you getting enough overall calories throughout the day, preferably mostly from carbs (eg around 2500 cals)?

Velve921

So you think this is more of an adrenalin issue? It surprises me that I am unable to clear this excess adrenalin by the time I get to bed. It's funny because I feel relaxed but within 30 minutes of getting into bed I get these symptoms and just can't fall asleep until 1-2a. I will go ahead with the sugar, salt, warming, etc. Could this also be a blood sugar issue?

Tara brings up some really good points....

From my experience, I need high amounts of sugar and salt before bed time in order to relax and fall asleep. Most of my athletes suffer insomnia issues due to adrenalin and cortisol among many other hypometabolic issues. The follow regimen has shown the best effects for them:

Epsom salt bath before bed time - 20-30 minutes in warm water, not hot with 1-4lbs of epsom salt
1 cup of milk
Bowl of fruit
Sea salt to taste
Vanilla Haganndaas ice cream (optional)

A woman I coached last year had a hysterectomy 7 years previously and could only sleep 2-3 hours per night. Once trying the above regimen she slept 6.5 hours straight through and the occurred every night thereafter.

Hope this can be helpful :)

Giraffe

Adrenaline has a very short half-life. One of its functions is to initiate the stress reaction (make you ready to fight or flight). If adrenaline rises, cortisol will follow. Release of adrenaline is stimulated by low blood sugar (among other things).

OP
GreenEyedBlonde
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try to change up my nighttime routine. It was just surprising to finally make the link between the treadmill and not sleeping. No other exercise seems to affect me this way and it's not like I am jogging - just walking at 3.5mph! It has been hard for me to add in sugar and salt based on the constant negative press - old habits die hard. Secondly, I really did not want to gain more weight. Years ago exercise never bothered me. Perhaps its also worsening Hashimoto's, too.

Lecarpetron

I am approaching a decade of severe insomnia, too. FWIW, I couldn't break the nighttime stress cycle with food alone (or with daytime sunlight exposure. Or with hot baths. Or with sleepy dust. Or with meditation. You get the idea). Cyproheptadine is helping me tremendously so far. It's not a sleep aid of the sledgehammer variety (like valium or my formerly beloved xanax) but it lowers nighttime cortisol. I am very familiar with the "buzzy" feeling - it really sucks. Good luck and keep us posted.

Velve921

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will try to change up my nighttime routine. It was just surprising to finally make the link between the treadmill and not sleeping. No other exercise seems to affect me this way and it's not like I am jogging - just walking at 3.5mph! It has been hard for me to add in sugar and salt based on the constant negative press - old habits die hard. Secondly, I really did not want to gain more weight. Years ago exercise never bothered me. Perhaps its also worsening Hashimoto's, too.

I use to train hard 4-6 days a week, lifting and high intensity interval training and I've recovered the best as I now lift only 15 minutes 1x a week and Zero high intensity interval training. I agree with Tara in walking outside in a peaceful environment could be more enjoyable. The idea of putting the body under stress that does not serve a purpose I believe can cause uncomfortability for the metabolism as we could be doing an activity that may not have a purpose.

For example, there are people who do interval training on a treadmill for 20-40 minutes....the purpose could be to raise heart and burn fat (just a random example)

or

you may have a person that goes and plays softball for an hour where intervals can be involved. However, the point of softball could be playful, fun, and social due to the nature of activity and the social aspect of the people involved. Not the authoritarian nature where we can overemphasize a concept like interval training on a treadmill that can yield undesirable stress.

From years of strenuous lifting combined with paleo/low carb nutrition, high stress job I developed back pain. Therefore, now I go through ELDOA stretches and sometimes participate in a class to focus on reducing back pain. So I have a purpose of utilizing movements that helps my body thrive and not survive.

To sum up the premise of my thoughts, I find myself participating in more diverse activities in my life, more than I ever have because I have a need to learn and grow. I am active by way of:

Softball, juggling a soccer ball, rock climbing, learning a language, reading books, through a lacrosse ball against a wall, horse back riding, skiing, listening to music at concerts, etc.... I use to only work, weight lift, condition, and go out with friends from time to time. Progression has changed over the last couple years as I've been healing; but initially, I saw the best improvement in sleep and energy from eliminating as much hyperventilating activity as possible. I made a choice not to be afraid of weight gain which can be difficult for people to overcome as society can place that judgment upon other people. However, I have no regrets about eliminating the activity in essence to increase sleep from 4-6 hours to 8-10 with more creative thinking and stronger work capacity for daily activity. I am also a strength and conditioning coach where I am defined by my physique; even in this case I still chose to continue pushing for optimal health.

It can be a difficult task Albina but I at least want you to know there are some of us who've had to overcome this obstacle for some of us there are no regrets when trying to obtain optimal health. Fruit, Fruit juice, Ice Cream, Grassfed Milk, Dark Chocolate, Cane Sugar, Salt, and Baking Soda have been instrumental in regaining my health; if I can control it I will never go another day without them :)

honeybee

or something else? I have had Hashimoto's for 30 years and taking T4. TSH was in normal range until I went on a very low carb diet last year and ended up with a TSH of 19.8. Found the Ray Peat forum and have become more aware of the connection between diet/activity and symptoms. I have had severe insomnia for over ten years. I either cannot fall asleep or wake up around 3am. I have tried the 'sleepy dust' if I awake around 3a and it seems to work. Many times, however, I just can't fall asleep. I feel wired, nasal congestion, slight headache, and an internal 'buzzy' feeling. So I get up, have a piece of cheese and some aspirin. Sometimes it works but usually I have to add in 5-10mg of valium. Of course, the next day I feel pretty sick.
I have now been able to associate this difficulty falling asleep with doing some mild to moderate cardio during the day. With Hashimoto's I have learned that I cannot do any type of intense exercise. I stick with pilates, yoga, or treadmill walking. It is on the days that I spend 1 hour on the treadmill at 3.5mph that I cannot fall asleep. I try to make sure I do this in the morning so as not to disrupt my sleep but it still does. I do make sure I eat something light before bed - maybe cheese and orange juice. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I get the buzzy feeling and delayed sleep only when I exercise in the evening . Make sure you replenish potassium if you sweat. T3 has helped me a lot regarding stress hormones and sleep. I also use vit a, magnesium and p5b (b6). And salty sugary foods. A combo of a few or all of those later in day and t3 at bed is guaranteed to send me off to sleep. I had insomnia for about a year off and on a couple years ago.ihavent pulled any all nighters in over a year . But I've been working on my health for several years. Good luck.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals