Low Toxin Diet Affordable Counter Top Water Distiller?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have a family member wanting to get a decent counter top water distiller that is affordable. Any recommendations?

TheDogsDid-It!

Forum Supporter
I have a family member wanting to get a decent counter top water distiller that is affordable. Any recommendations?
This might get me slammed, but I love Dr. Mercola's. The water quality in Phoenix is soooo, bad and reading the reports in my area, I actually first use Mercola's, but still run that water through another picture filter called Clearly Filtered, before chilling the filter in the fridge. I won't use ice that runs directly through the refrigerator system, so that was disconnected and we run that line directly to the Mercola filter. Very clear and easy to understand instructions come for this type of installation. I'm lucky that we have a counter top right next to the refrigerator for all my appliances, and Mercola's is very attractive with the coordination of black and chrome accents.

For some reason my nose is soooo sensitive to smells, and I recently picked up the smell of mold near the kitchen sink. I got a bit mad that someone (not me!) was not changing the daily dish cloth, but I smelled the cloth and it wasn't that. So I ran the tap water and it smelled like mold. I never smell that in the water I'm actually drinking, so when I told the dish-cloth violator he almost got accused, he went to the community website and others were saying the same thing about the foul smelling water. The answer came back that this time of year there is a runoff from the rains, which created algae, and that was the source of stink. Honestly, the bricks on the patio and landscaping are green this time of year, so I'm not disputing that is the source of the stink. But I can say for sure, my water doesn't stink and tastes great. Hope this helps some.

freyasam

It's maybe not affordable but the Pure and Secure distiller has worked well for me for 1.5 years.

Vandivier

Forum Supporter
I have had my AquaTru for a few years now and I love it. It’s a counter reverse osmosis system. They also have under the sink systems. I’m not sure if the new ones remineralize water. I know the under the sink system can have that addon.

Dutchie

I have had my AquaTru for a few years now and I love it. It’s a counter reverse osmosis system. They also have under the sink systems. I’m not sure if the new ones remineralize water. I know the under the sink system can have that addon.
I recently bought the AquaTru countertop as well.
I like the mouth feel of the RO water better than the distilled.
However, I'm still tinkering around with it, to get the ph a little up to around 7-7.5. The pure RO water is too acidic for me and gives me issues.

gabys225

The megahome that is sold on Amazon is tried and true. I have two of them, to keep up with my daily water needs. I have had it for over 5 years and it has made two gallons a day for almost every single day of those 5 years. Recently, the button to start the machine broke off. It still works! The company sells replacement parts should anything go wrong, so you will almost never have to buy an entirely new machine. I got a new one when the button broke because my water needs increased. Awesome company.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This might get me slammed, but I love Dr. Mercola's.
Very cool, I am going to check it out!
It's maybe not affordable but the Pure and Secure distiller has worked well for me for 1.5 years.
Very nice, its on my list to research. Thank you!
Very cool, thank you. I am torn between RO and Distilled. I use RO right now but family members are getting into clean water now and still trying to figure out the best way to guide them on it.
recently bought the AquaTru countertop as well.
I like the mouth feel of the RO water better than the distilled.
However, I'm still tinkering around with it, to get the ph a little up to around 7-7.5. The pure RO water is too acidic for me and gives me issues.
Very cool thank you. I have not had a personal distiller yet so wondering if I would notice the same for distilled versus RO.
The megahome that is sold on Amazon is tried and true.
Perfect, gonna check it out!

RealNeat

Check out @RealNeat ‘s recs on water distillers. I bought the one he recommended and it’s been great.
yes but i dont know if id call it affordable. It is the best investment you can make in a distiller however. One thing to consider about distillers is that one should vent out their home every day if their tap water is especially contaminated. Hot steam rises, even if the compounds one is distilling is heavier than air, (while its heated) so giving such contaminants an escape route is ideal during distillation. This is probably my only complaint about it (besides the time it takes to produce the water) when compared to RO + DI. Also please dont put them in confined spaces unless you want hot damp moldy cupboards.

RealNeat

Very cool, thank you. I am torn between RO and Distilled. I use RO right now but family members are getting into clean water now and still trying to figure out the best way to guide them on it.

Very cool thank you. I have not had a personal distiller yet so wondering if I would notice the same for distilled versus RO.

if going for the Megahome you want to get a timer that stops the distiller before it "boils dry". This will carry over the contaminants into your water because they will overheat when the water runs out. Leaving even just a smidge of water at the bottom at the end of distillation cycle will prevent this. The AquaNui and Pure n Secure water distillers (same company) dont have this issue, they are simply the best design available today.

Dutchie

I also forgot to mention, what I like most about the RO countertop vs Distiller, is that it's so much quicker to produce the same amount of filtered water.
(The downside is that a RO system requires replacement filters)

Vandivier

Forum Supporter

I hear you! I would love to have clean water too. I just don’t know how I could go around to get that. What are they doing to achieve this?

My primary concern is fluoride in water. I just don’t know of any other system besides RO that is able to take it out effectively.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I hear you! I would love to have clean water too. I just don’t know how I could go around to get that. What are they doing to achieve this?

My primary concern is fluoride in water. I just don’t know of any other system besides RO that is able to take it out effectively.
I have decided to stick with RO systems. The off-gassing from distillers can be an issue, so until I have the way to put the distiller out of the house I am sticking with RO. This is the company I went with and I did not get the re-mineralization add-on.

mosaic01

I have decided to stick with RO systems. The off-gassing from distillers can be an issue, so until I have the way to put the distiller out of the house I am sticking with RO. This is the company I went with and I did not get the re-mineralization add-on.

I use a countertop activated charcoal filter with 0.3 micron pore size that filters out all organic compounds, for example bacteria and gaseous compounds (like chlorine), before the destillation process. The distiller then only has to deal with the dissolved solids (minerals).

The waterwise distiller I got also has a small charcoal filter where the water goes through before dripping into the can.

What I like about distilling is that it may also remove any theoretical "memory" of the water associated with toxins and reset it, so to speak.

The problem with water distillation is if you do not use a really effective charcoal filter beforehand, you will not eliminate all gaseous compounds from the water.

Distillation does not remove volatile or semi-volatile compounds. These compunds either gas off into the air, or stay in the water.

By using a charcoal filter that filters out chlorine and VOCs and then distilling the water, you basically have water with 0 ppm TDS, and zero organic compounds, but it takes a lot of time to distill water.

Using a high quality RO system is probably the most efficient way to filter drinking water, as you basically filter out everything that matters in one go, even though RO does not filter out 100% of TDS.

Last edited:

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I use a countertop activated charcoal filter with 0.3 micron pore size that filters out all organic compounds, for example bacteria and gaseous compounds (like chlorine), before the destillation process. The distiller then only has to deal with the dissolved solids (minerals).

The waterwise distiller I got also has a small charcoal filter where the water goes through before dripping into the can.

What I like about distilling is that it may also remove any theoretical "memory" of the water associated with toxins and reset it, so to speak.

The problem with water distillation is if you do not use a really effective charcoal filter beforehand, you will not eliminate all gaseous compounds from the water.

Distillation does not remove volatile or semi-volatile compounds. These compunds either gas off into the air, or stay in the water.

By using a charcoal filter that filters out chlorine and VOCs and then distilling the water, you basically have water with 0 ppm TDS, and zero organic compounds, but it takes a lot of time to distill water.

Using a high quality RO system is probably the most efficient way to filter drinking water, as you basically filter out everything that matters in one go, even though RO does not filter out 100% of TDS.

Mosaic,
What model of distiller and countertop activated charcoal filter do you have?

mosaic01

Mosaic,
What model of distiller and countertop activated charcoal filter do you have?

I think in the US my model is known as MegaHome distiller (around $300), it's the most well-known one, inexpensive and very high quality. But it's being sold with different labels, Waterwise is the same.

The countertop filter may only be available in Germany (carbonit.com), I was not able to judge the quality of comparable filters for the US market.

It's a standard 10 inch filter block system. This one looks like the same, but I don't know the quality of this specific product: Omnipure OMB934-05m Carbon Block Filter 0.5 Micron 2.5" x 10"

A quick search tells me that Omnipure is pretty solid.

Another one: 0.5 Micron Carbon Block Filter 10" - CF-0.5-10

You need <=0.5 micron to filter out everything.

Last edited:

mosaic01

Some notes about the distiller:

1. To prevent off-gassing, someone on Amazon explained he simply opens a 600mg capsule of activated charcoal and puts the powder inside the tank during the distillation process. This solved a funky taste issue for him. It's really a great idea.
71o03QsyvzL.jpg

Its more or less the same as filtering the water through charcoal beforehand, although probably not as effective. But if no filter is available, this is definitely the best way to get all kinds of VOC's out.

2. A timer needs to be used to prevent the residue to burn into the bottom of the tank, as the distiller shuts off a bit too late. It is during this phase where the residue is burning away that smells can go into the water. At least 50-100ml of water should be left when the distillation process stops.

Last edited:

mosaic01

Here's a comparison for how the pore sizes of charcoal block filters roughly compare:

Pore size in µm (micron)0.350.450.701.551020
Flow rate1.5 l/min2.5 l/min3.5 l/min6.7 l/min13.5 l/min24 l/min37 l/min
Pesticide retention>99%>99%88%78%65%50%32%
Chlorine retention>99%>99%92%87%79%70%59%
Heavy metal retention93%90%80%70%57%43%26%
Filters bacteriayesyesyesnononono

Above 0.5 micron the retention rates for organic compounds like pesticides and chlorine begin to suffer.

According to Carbonit NFP Water Filter Cartridge - the standard, 36,90 €

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals