Airplane Travel - Australia to Japan - Body Scan Machine

A-Tim

The following info is for people figuring out how to avoid scanners while travelling, in particular if you live in Australia.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and recently traveled to Japan for holiday. I didn't want to use the scanning machines as I don't trust the authorities who say they're safe. At the Melbourne Airport I requested to be patted down rather than use the scanner. I said I was happy to do it in public or in a private room, it didn't bother me.

They asked me to wait while they got the manager. After a minute he came and handed me a sign. I don't recall verbatim what the sign said, but in essence it said I can either go through the scanner or not travel. It said it in a retarded way. Something like "you can come back tomorrow instead, and still do the scan".

I pushed him on getting a pat-down instead. He cited a biosecurity act. He said unless I had a medical reason, backed up by a letter from a doctor, I either go through the scanner or I don't travel. Frankly he was arrogant, rude, and a ****. So brace yourself for that type of behaviour.

In the end I accepted I lost this round and went through the scanner. In Japan they used different scanners (the older style). I was too tired to figure out how to communicate the point there with people who didn't speak English. So I can't say anything about how to get around Japan scanners.

My takeaway for travelling internationally during the Australian leg of the journey:
1) Get a medical certificate. Seems like far and away the easiest solution.
2) Have a backup strategy for mitigating the effects if they force you to go thru anyway. I believe people have discussed this elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't looked into it myself.

bookshelf

The following info is for people figuring out how to avoid scanners while travelling, in particular if you live in Australia.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and recently traveled to Japan for holiday. I didn't want to use the scanning machines as I don't trust the authorities who say they're safe. At the Melbourne Airport I requested to be patted down rather than use the scanner. I said I was happy to do it in public or in a private room, it didn't bother me.

They asked me to wait while they got the manager. After a minute he came and handed me a sign. I don't recall verbatim what the sign said, but in essence it said I can either go through the scanner or not travel. It said it in a retarded way. Something like "you can come back tomorrow instead, and still do the scan".

I pushed him on getting a pat-down instead. He cited a biosecurity act. He said unless I had a medical reason, backed up by a letter from a doctor, I either go through the scanner or I don't travel. Frankly he was arrogant, rude, and a ****. So brace yourself for that type of behaviour.

In the end I accepted I lost this round and went through the scanner. In Japan they used different scanners (the older style). I was too tired to figure out how to communicate the point there with people who didn't speak English. So I can't say anything about how to get around Japan scanners.

My takeaway for travelling internationally during the Australian leg of the journey:
2) Have a backup strategy for mitigating the effects if they force you to go thru anyway. I believe people have discussed this elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't looked into it myself.
Thank you for the heads up. I do not like to fly and avoid it at all costs. The scanners are one of the reasons. I will pass this on to others I know who travel more frequently and will keep it in mind for the few times I get up the courage to fly the "friendly" skies.

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

Haha, yes, the flying portion of holidaying isn't my idea of a good time either.

Oleg

Haha, yes, the flying portion of holidaying isn't my idea of a good time either.
here in the states if you ask for a pat down they tell you to put your luggage through X-ray machine and have you wait for quite a while not letting you get through to attend to your belonging/valuables. I am thinking stripping down to my underwear next time to expedite the process. Flying became the worst experience!

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

here in the states if you ask for a pat down they tell you to put your luggage through X-ray machine and have you wait for quite a while not letting you get through to attend to your belonging/valuables. I am thinking stripping down to my underwear next time to expedite the process. Flying became the worst experience!

Taking efficiency to a new level. True commitment.

ladyofthelake

I understand that not everyone may be comfortable with this, but every time I fly I wear a tank top with leggings and no bra and no socks when I get into the security line. I put my Birkenstock’s and sweater with my carry-on through the x ray. I have always escaped the full body scanner when dressed like this.

Oleg

I understand that not everyone may be comfortable with this, but every time I fly I wear a tank top with leggings and no bra and no socks when I get into the security line. I put my Birkenstock’s and sweater with my carry-on through the x ray. I have always escaped the full body scanner when dressed like this.
I am glad to hear that it works. Makes me feel more confident. And if somebody around is not comfortable with this, they can say thank you, to our governments

OP
A-Tim

A-Tim

Very interesting. Which countries has this worked for you in? Did they pat you down when you asked not to be scanned?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals