Alzheimer (AD) Caused By Accumulation Of Oleic Acid

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is perhaps the first study to show that AD is triggered by abnormal accumulation of oleic acid containing triglycerides. What I find shocking is that the discoverer of AD himself found this accumulation back in 1906 but the observation was "dismissed" and "forgotten". If a finding of the person most familiar with the disease can be so easily dismissed and forgotten I don't want to think how many other relevant findings about diabetes, CVD, dementias, autoimmune conditions, cancer, etc have been conveniently dismissed and "forgotten".

http://lofalexandria.com/2015/08/alzhei ... the-brain/
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0915003562

"...This study highlights what might prove to be a missing link in the field. Researchers initially tried to understand why the brain’s stem cells, which normally help repair brain damage, are unresponsive in Alzheimer’s disease. Doctoral student Laura Hamilton was astonished to find fat droplets near the stem cells, on the inner surface of the brain in mice predisposed to develop the disease. “We realized that Dr. Alois Alzheimer himself had noted the presence of lipid accumulations in patients’ brains after their death when he first described the disease in 1906. But this observation was dismissed and largely forgotten due to the complexity of lipid biochemistry”, said Laura Hamilton."

"...The researchers examined the brains of nine patients who died from Alzheimer’s disease and found significantly more fat droplets compared with five healthy brains. A team of chemists from University of Montreal led by Pierre Chaurand then used an advanced mass spectrometry technique to identify these fat deposits as triglycerides enriched with specific fatty acids, which can also be found in animal fats and vegetable oils."

"...“We discovered that these fatty acids are produced by the brain, that they build up slowly with normal aging, but that the process is accelerated significantly in the presence of genes that predispose to Alzheimer’s disease”, explained Karl Fernandes. In mice predisposed to the disease, we showed that these fatty acids accumulate very early on, at two months of age, which corresponds to the early twenties in humans. Therefore, we think that the build-up of fatty acids is not a consequence but rather a cause or accelerator of the disease.” Fortunately, there are pharmacological inhibitors of the enzyme that produces these fatty acids. These molecules, which are currently being tested for metabolic diseases such as obesity, could be effective in treating Alzheimer’s disease. “We succeeded in preventing these fatty acids from building up in the brains of mice predisposed to the disease. The impact of this treatment on all the aspects of the disease is not yet known, but it significantly increased stem cell activity,” explained Karl Fernandes. “This is very promising because stem cells play an important role in learning, memory and regeneration.” This discovery lends support to the argument that Alzheimer’s disease is a metabolic brain disease, rather like obesity or diabetes are peripheral metabolic diseases. Karl Fernandes’ team is continuing its experiments to verify whether this new approach can prevent or delay the problems with memory, learning and depression associated with the disease."

Here is some info on the enzyme responsible for synthesizing oleic acid. As you can see it is upregulated in obesity and cancer, confirming Ray's views on the role of unsaturated lipids in a variety of pathological conditions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stearoyl-CoA_desaturase-1

The good news is that inhibiting the rate-limiting enzyme for synthesis of oleic (SCD1) acid reversed AD pathology. I think aspirin and caffeine both inhibit SCD1 and other natural compounds such as palmitoleic and sterculic acids can inhibit it as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmitoleic_acid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopropane_fatty_acid

Doesn't "essential fatty acid" avoidance also induce that enzyme?

pboy

one thing I find weird is that....In the uterus, fats in the brain are made entirely by sugar, why as a baby, and adult, are there carriers that carry long chain fats across the blood brain barrier if they're toxic? I mean I believe they aren't good, but its kinda weird how that happens

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:
I know once other substrates are used up, oleic starts being used like crazy, but I also think it gets made more.

narouz

Is oleic acid the one that is high in olive oil...?

edit:
from Wiki...

Olive Oil Constituents

General chemical structure of olive oil (triglyceride). R1, R2 and R3 are alkyl groups (approx. 20%) or alkenyl groups (approx. 80%).
Olive oil is composed mainly of the mixed triglyceride esters of oleic acid and palmitic acid and of other fatty acids, along with traces of squalene (up to 0.7%) and sterols (about 0.2% phytosterol and tocosterols). The composition varies by cultivar, region, altitude, time of harvest, and extraction process.

Fatty acid Percentage ref.
Oleic acid 55 to 83% [63][64]
Linoleic acid 3.5 to 21% [63][64]
Palmitic acid 7.5 to 20% [63]
Stearic acid 0.5 to 5% [63]
α-Linolenic acid 0 to 1.5% [63]

narouz

...butter...

Butter Fatty Acid Composition
FATTY ACIDS USDA AVERAGE / 100G
Unsaturated
Monounsaturated, g 21.021
16:1 Palmitoleic, g 0.961
18:1 Oleic, g 19.961
Polyunsaturated, g 3.043
18:2 Linoleic, g 2.728
18:3 Linolenic, g 0.315
Saturated, g
4:0 Butyric, g 3.226
6:0 Caproic, g 2.007
8:0 Caprylic, g 1.19
10:0 Capric, g 2.529
12:0 Lauric, g 2.587
14:0 Myristic, g 7.436
16:0 Palmitic, g 21.697
18:0 Stearic, g 9.999

jyb

pboy said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97279/ one thing I find weird is that....In the uterus, fats in the brain are made entirely by sugar, why as a baby, and adult, are there carriers that carry long chain fats across the blood brain barrier if they're toxic? I mean I believe they aren't good, but its kinda weird how that happens

Do medium or long chain fatty acids really cross the blood brain barrier (in youthful individual)? In disease it seems to let through many things but that's with a damaged barrier.

bradley

In our interview with Fred Kummerow he mentioned his current research is focusing on how the oxidation of unsaturated fats being a contributor to alzheimer's.. and also testing compounds to counteract it (which sound really strange!)

SOMO

In our interview with Fred Kummerow he mentioned his current research is focusing on how the oxidation of unsaturated fats being a contributor to alzheimer's.. and also testing compounds to counteract it (which sound really strange!)

Remember what those compounds were by any chance?
Just learned Kummerow passed away in 2017.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Remember what those compounds were by any chance?
Just learned Kummerow passed away in 2017.

I would like to know as well, but some of the obvious ones would be vitamin E, SFA, aspirin, niacinamide, etc. These all prevent PUFA oxidation and have all been found to prevent AD in animal models. I bet the ones they worked with were more synthetic like the commonly used food additive (and carcinogen) BHT most often used in lieu of vitamin E as a cheaper antioxidant.
Butylated hydroxytoluene - Wikipedia

T

tca300

Me: In many of your articles and interviews you mention the negatives of the unsaturated fatty acids, and at other times specifically the polyunsaturated fatty acids.
My question is, when you are mentioning the unsaturated fats, are you including monounsaturated ones like Oleic acid? Is oleic acid harmful? Or whenever you say unsaturated fats are you just specifically talking about the PUFA's? Thank you!

Ray Peat: Yes, I mean the PUFA, oleic acid is safe, and we synthesize it ourselves from carbohydrates.

I highly doubt oleic acid is the direct cause, more like a side effect. I could blame cholesterol and saturated fat on atherosclerosis using the same model. Higher amounts of oleic acid might be a last ditch effort to save the brain.

Travis

Doesn't "essential fatty acid" avoidance also induce that enzyme?

This seems likely; the brain appears to strive to maintain the same unsaturation index regardless of diet. In the relative absence of ω−3 fatty acids, or the relative abundance of ω−6 fatty acids, more arachidonic and osbond acids are found in the brain. The amount of DHA (22∶6ω−3) + osbond acid (22∶5ω−6) appears to be more or less constant, and there are no endogenously produced ω−9 fatty acids unsaturated to this extent. Since I have yet to see a brain lipid analysis with a less total desaturation index, it seems as though we have a choice between ω−3 or ω−6 fatty acids—yet a low consumption of the latter precludes intentionally sourcing the former for the following reasons: (1) Brain DHA is efficiently recycled, (2) ω−6 fatty acids displace ω−3 fatty acids; and (3) small amounts of ω−3 fatty acids are ubiquitous. So in the absence of the nonessential ω−6 fatty acids that displace them, incidental amounts of ω−3 fatty acids should be all that are required. Such small amounts are truly unavoidable, and it's really the ω−6 fatty acids more to blame for low DHA states than any lack of fish consumption.

Travis

Do medium or long chain fatty acids really cross the blood brain barrier (in youthful individual)? In disease it seems to let through many things but that's with a damaged barrier.

I think there is an old study on fatty acid brain uptake using radiolabeled oleic acid, but this must occur because of the DHA and osbond acid content found there. We cannot produce either ω−3 or ω−6 fatty acids, only ω−9 fatty acids, so any DHA and arachidonic acid found in the brain must have originally been derived from the circulation. I think albumin could help with this, as this has been shown to transfer indoles into the brain, and the circulating blood proteins that bind cortisol and androgens can deliver their's. Serum albumin is 'spongy' with its seven α-helical coils, are the molecules it carries are thought to be 'squeezed out' by the brain's microcirculatory regions. Free fatty acids are charged so they might tend to be excluded, yet triglycerides are neutral and might be assumed to freely enter.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals