OP
J

j.

Those versions of vitamin A that are called "water soluble" are made with tiny fat particles, in the end it's always fat soluble.

Kray

haidut said:
classicallady said:
haidut said:
j. said:
What happens if you put fat soluble vitamins on your skin without any solvent? Just pure vitamin A or vitamin E. Is it absorbed?

Ray wrote that vitamin E does not get well absorbed in its pure form to the skin but adding a little olive oil makes the absorption "almost immediate". Vitamin E on its turn enhances absorption of progesterone. So, that's why Ray's product Progest-E has both vitamin E and oil. Oil for the vitamin E, and vitamin E for the progesterone.
I think vitamin A is better absorbed than vitamin E (when applied purely) b/c it is actually an alcohol and Ray referred to it as being "unsaturated", so probably has fat-like qualities. However, pure retinol is extremely unstable and oxidizes almost immediately, which is why it is usually in a solvent and with vitamin E as protector.

Thanks for your link, Haidut. From your comment above about vitamin A instability, what form would be best and safest from oxidation standpoint?

I want something higher dose to treat a skin condition. If not retinol, would retinyl palmitate be a better choice?

Are they all pretty much absorbed the same? In the safer forms, is there a distinct advantage to topical application vs. oral?

Thanks again!

The different forms of vitamin A are not absorbed the same. Some of them are made water soluble like that product from Nutrisorb, some of them are fat-soluble. Retinyl palmitate is a good option, retinyl acetate is probably even better but much harder to find retail.
I would not say there is an advantage of one form vs. the other unless the person has stomach issues and thus not absorbing well orally. Just do whatever gives you the best subjective effect unless you do blood tests to confirm which way is better for you.

Thanks for the info!

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
Those versions of vitamin A that are called "water soluble" are made with tiny fat particles, in the end it's always fat soluble.

I think certain esters like retinyl acetate and succinate are actually water soluble. Eventually in the gut I think they get metabolized into the fat soluble retinol and whaterever the other component is, so the vitamin A is always fat soluble. But the esters themselves are actually water soluble. There is a form of vitamin E called tocopherol succinate and it is considered water soluble as well. Here is how Sigma advertizes retinyl acetate:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/pro ... &region=US

Kray

haidut said:
j. said:

I think certain esters like retinyl acetate and succinate are actually water soluble. Eventually in the gut I think they get metabolized into the fat soluble retinol and whaterever the other component is, so the vitamin A is always fat soluble. But the esters themselves are actually water soluble. There is a form of vitamin E called tocopherol succinate and it is considered water soluble as well. Here is how Sigma advertizes retinyl acetate:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/pro ... &region=US

Haidut,

Thanks for the clarification about vitamin A. It is a very tricky business with that one. I had been taking large amounts of natural (fish oil) A for dermatitis and backed off taking it after reading this thread. Then I ordered Thorne Research vitamin A palmitate 25,000iu. Apparently, from speaking with one of their doctors, although both natural A retinol and palmitate convert to the active retinoic acid in the body, the palmitate form is more quick to convert than the other, so you might get faster results with palmitate. I couldn't find any retail source of the acetate you mentioned.

Having said that, I'm not sure I have such a grasp on the finer details as you mentioned above. Can you say whether the vitamin A 25,000 palmitate (Thorne) would be a safe source to take as a daily supplement for skin issues? I also have the Nutrisorb A drops. I know Peat doesn't subscribe to oral fats and applies his topically.

I also don't know if more A would really help my problem or not. I do eat some amount of liver about every 7-10 days, but not a lot. Any else would come from dairy, I guess. I'm also looking at more progesterone, pregnenolone, and magnesium that might help rid my dermatitis. Not sure about calcium deficiency but that's even harder to think because I do so much dairy.

So, your thoughts on oral vs. topical, which type, dosage? :(

OP
J

j.

classicallady said:
I know Peat doesn't subscribe to oral fats and applies his topically.

I'm not sure about that. He said he tried oral first and gave him a migraine. Maybe if he didn't get that reaction, he would take it orally. I put it in an empty gel cap and take it orally without problems. Because of convenience, mainly.

Kray

j. said:
classicallady said:
I know Peat doesn't subscribe to oral fats and applies his topically.

I'm not sure about that. He said he tried oral first and gave him a migraine. Maybe if he didn't get that reaction, he would take it orally. I put it in an empty gel cap and take it orally without problems. Because of convenience, mainly.

j- sorry if we've covered this already before-- what type of A, dose, do you take? Do you supplement for particular reasons, or not do liver?

OP
J

j.

I eat liver weekly. I also take nutrisorb A especially when I am in the sun or exposed to incandescent lights. I put the liquid in an empty gel cap and get no bad reactions.

Kray

j. said:
I eat liver weekly. I also take nutrisorb A especially when I am in the sun or exposed to incandescent lights. I put the liquid in an empty gel cap and get no bad reactions.

I live in sunny climate, mostly 365 days. Even if I don't actively get sun by sitting out 15-20 minutes, is living in it enough light exposure that I might require more A than diet can provide, such as liver once a week? Would A be advisable to supplement daily, and how much do you take under the conditions you mentioned?

Also, I do have the infrared light system (DPL brand). Is this the red light Peat speaks of, or if not, is it still an acceptable form?

Thanks-

OP
J

j.

It depends on how your body uses and stores it. I go by symptoms. If people don't get symptoms, I don't know what they should do. I tend to not give advice about doses because my doses are insanely high, up to 200,000 I.U. in a day.

Kray

j. said:
It depends on how your body uses and stores it. I go by symptoms. If people don't get symptoms, I don't know what they should do. I tend to not give advice about doses because my doses are insanely high, up to 200,000 I.U. in a day.

What are your symptoms? Do you take 200,000iu from Nutrisorb?

Is your light exposure/vitamin D daily? Do you get enough of both that you also don't need to supplement D?

OP
J

j.

I use nutrisorb and also another local brand. I haven't tested D, but I get some sun exposure around noon. Main symptom is dandruff.

Kray

j. said:
I use nutrisorb and also another local brand. I haven't tested D, but I get some sun exposure around noon. Main symptom is dandruff.

Neither have I had D tested, seemed unnecessary. Would dermatitis/eczema be in the same category as dandruff? Are they both due to same factors, do you know? Just wondering if A supplementation is warranted with that condition as it might be with dandruff.

Do you supplement a B complex, or any of the Bs?

OP
J

j.

Niacinamide. Charlie says B6 helps, but I haven't had the time to test it combined with A.

Kray

j. said:
Niacinamide. Charlie says B6 helps, but I haven't had the time to test it combined with A.

What dose do you take, and do you take it daily? Why do you take it? I haven't found a brand that doesn't have silicon in it.

OP
J

j.

Niacinamide for unrelated reasons, Jarrow Formulas version doesn't have silica.

Kray

j. said:
Niacinamide for unrelated reasons, Jarrow Formulas version doesn't have silica.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for that. btw- in speaking with a doctor @ Thorne Research about a product, he advised that the silica derivatives in solid form aren't problematic, only in forms that can be inhaled. Don't know what to make of that in light of Peat's concerns about it. Thanks again J. :)

OP
J

j.

After taking silica from Carlson K2, I'm not brave enough to try it in other forms.

Kray

j. said:
After taking silica from Carlson K2, I'm not brave enough to try it in other forms.

What was your reaction? What would a reaction to silica be if it's supposed to be harmless in solid form? Sorry for the ignorance. :?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals