Best diet for Husky with autoimmune

palebluedot

To clarify, I’ve diagnosed him, I’m not a vet. Any thoughts on a diet that can help a Husky with autoimmune / Hyperkeratosis symptoms- cracked and peeling nose that has lost its pigment (went from black to pink), little growths around snout and lips, also presents with hardened, thick skin on paws which he digs at. He’s always been a bit underweight, no matter what we’ve tried. He is a true husky and can go days without food, and would run forever if he could. We’ve been on a “raw” diet with him for sometime- Turkey or chicken necks, egg and shell, various organs, some beef, sometimes cod.

It seems there is a malabsorption of Zinc in these cases. He loves oysters. Any thoughts?

I wonder what would Ray do?

To clarify, I’ve diagnosed him, I’m not a vet. Any thoughts on a diet that can help a Husky with autoimmune / Hyperkeratosis symptoms- cracked and peeling nose that has lost its pigment (went from black to pink), little growths around snout and lips, also presents with hardened, thick skin on paws which he digs at. He’s always been a bit underweight, no matter what we’ve tried. He is a true husky and can go days without food, and would run forever if he could. We’ve been on a “raw” diet with him for sometime- Turkey or chicken necks, egg and shell, various organs, some beef, sometimes cod.

It seems there is a malabsorption of Zinc in these cases. He loves oysters. Any thoughts?

I gave my dog MSM, and it helped with many issues, joints and allergy/skin issues particularly. I have recommended it to friends with dogs and they have seen improvement with their dog’s issues too.

GTW

Long known in Malamutes especially. Zinc genetic dysfunction.

OP
P

palebluedot

I gave my dog MSM, and it helped with many issues, joints and allergy/skin issues particularly. I have recommended it to friends with dogs and they have seen improvement with their dog’s issues too.
Thanks Rinse- I have some and will be adding to his diet! I’m also going to try the regular Peat staples, cooked fruit, some root veg, maybe some goats milk, and honey.

Regina

My 19 yr old dog has a long history of miserable "allergies" "seizures" "skin issues" "mood issues"..., you name it.
I used to feed raw and finally conc,uded that it was not really helping.
Now, I haven't been to a vet in, really, 10 years now. they were never any help at all.

I cook for him. Generally, things like shepherd's pie, beef stroganoff, chicken soup, homemade liver treats (baked strips in coconut oil and salt). Generally, whatever we eat.
His number one life saver though has been Kozy Shak brand rice pudding. It has 3 ingredients: skim milk, pure cane sugar, white rice.
I give him a dollup of Kozy Shak twice a day. I often cut up a dried orange slice (trader joes) in one of the portions.

As far as meds and supplements.
I have a stockpile of minocycline and penicillan. If he's acting funny or has iffy stool, I give him one of these.
Maybe 3 or 4 times a years, I give him a 3 day fenbedozle wormer.
I also have a big tub of apple-flavored aspirin powder that is easy to spike his food with.

I bought some progeseterone and pregnenolone powder from suchlabs.com. He gets one or the other once a week.

OP
P

palebluedot

My 19 yr old dog has a long history of miserable "allergies" "seizures" "skin issues" "mood issues"..., you name it.
Now, I haven't been to a vet in, really, 10 years now. they were never any help at all.

I cook for him. Generally, things like shepherd's pie, beef stroganoff, chicken soup, homemade liver treats (baked strips in coconut oil and salt). Generally, whatever we eat.
His number one life saver though has been Kozy Shak brand rice pudding. It has 3 ingredients: skim milk, pure cane sugar, white rice.
I give him a dollup of Kozy Shak twice a day. I often cut up a dried orange slice (trader joes) in one of the portions.

I have a stockpile of minocycline and penicillan. If he's acting funny or has iffy stool, I give him one of these.
I also have a big tub of apple-flavored aspirin powder that is easy to spike his food with.

I bought some progeseterone and pregnenolone powder from suchlabs.com. He gets one or the other once a week.
Wow, that’s wonderful to hear!

I have 3 dogs that came to me- the Husky with the skin issues and low weight from a neighbor that couldn’t contain him, a pit/heeler mix that came from a reservation that has a very, very slow metabolism (she is the reason we went raw in hopes that she’d lose some weight, and she did, but her energy sank, CLEARLY hypothyroid, she has dry skin and coat too), and a small corgi mix who is the healthiest of them all but suffers from severe anxiety about everything, but mainly thunder.

I also haven’t been to a vet since 2020- I wonder how I can get my hands on some of the antibiotics you mentioned (pen) without a script? Do you order online? And I’m sure all of mine are due for a de-worming. I can’t go to my vet without being harangued about quacksines. Just not doing it anymore. I also have powered aspirin, I could dissolve it in some bone broth for him.

What benefits have you seen from the progesterone and pregnenolone? I wonder if he’d benefit from some vit e- he did spend years on pufa laden kibble.

I’ve had the intuition for some time that Raw isn’t showing any benefits anymore. I like the idea of just feeding them versions of what we’re eating. I also have a 1 year old, breastfeeding, and homemaking, so I don’t need anymore kitchen time than necessary 😆

GTW

Siberian huskies share genetics with Malamutes. Zinc methionine was a popular supplement for skin problems.
Extreme zinc deficiency\dysfunction in Malamutes caused short leg dwarfs.

OP
P

palebluedot

72B98405-68FD-44BA-967A-8322128BA279.jpeg

Here’s my guy, Mr. Majesty - not looking very majestic covered in trail dirt, but you can see the pink dry nose.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
My dog had a lot of skin flakiness and probably fungal issues that cleared up when I started to feed her cooked hamburger, white rice and some kibble. She also gets raw and cooked apples and some other fruits. And some stiff gelatin made with apple juice. I think it was the extra protein that helped the most but I don't know for sure.

Regina

View attachment 55154
Here’s my guy, Mr. Majesty - not looking very majestic covered in trail dirt, but you can see the pink dry nose.
Oh he's gorgeous!! A supermodel.
And where you live looks stunning too.

Yeah, I have some kibble (Rawbble) for days when we're eating something not fit for a dog. :D And an assortment of one ingredient treats.
And like Dolomite, we give him a hamburger or hotdogs. And cooked yellow squash.
Fruits have always been a tough sell for my dogs. But they do like the trader joes orange slices.
And I think the rice pudding improves the calcium : phosphate ratio.
If it's a very meaty day, I will open a calcium carbonate capsule into his food.

Do you think your butcher could give you chicken necks that still have thyroid intact?

I buy fish antibiotics online. It's a loophole. Wink wink. If they are for your fish, they don't require a script.
We take them ourselves and have never had a problem.

I buy panacur C fenbedazole from amazon.

He also has the anxiety issues like your corgi. Thunder/fireworks make him fall apart.
The pregnenolone/progesterone squelch anxiety. He was neutered when we adopted him in 2005. So, he's hormonally robbed by that.
He's become a calm cool dude with the preg/prog. I wish I had thought of it sooner.

I vaxxed him in 2005 when we adopted him, but none since then. All of his peers are long gone

Congratulations on your baby. It sounds like you have a lovely household!

Best wishes!

GTW

Having a 19 year old dog confers great credibility.
However, fenbendazol is not health food. Three day course might be indicated if the dog is showing symptoms such as unthrifty appearance and mucous feces. Should be no reason to repeat.
100 gms raw beef liver a day several times a week is a good all-around supplement for dogs.
Tablespoon psyllium husk added to wet food is symbiotic.
Garlic in moderation also might be helpful. Minced dried or lightly roasted or a few black\aged cloves.

I wonder why the Kozy Shack pudding, here in the USA, gets all the extra stuff?

Attachments

• EAA5B532-87EA-40E7-8663-555160FF2AE3.jpeg
    EAA5B532-87EA-40E7-8663-555160FF2AE3.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 12

Regina

I wonder why the Kozy Shack pudding, here in the USA, gets all the extra stuff?
Hi Rinse,

I just bolted into the kitchen to check.
I'm in Florida. Here's my label.

Yesterday, I almost purchased the chocolate pudding and yes, it had starch and carrageenum.
I only get the rice pudding.

Attachments

• KozyShak_rice_pudding.jpeg
    KozyShak_rice_pudding.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 18
  • KozyShak_ingredients.jpeg
    KozyShak_ingredients.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 17
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom