Best dose to start Armour thyroid (desiccated t/4 t/3)

mgrabs

Has anyone here had experience dosing Armour correctly? Some doctors say to start at a grain some start less. Is low & slow smart to do? Is it true theres a negative feedback loop? Which means start slow & immediately titrate up until you mimmic the true thyroid output? Isn’t (15mg) 1/4 grain still more than the thyroid produces?

Normal Human

Has anyone here had experience dosing Armour correctly? Some doctors say to start at a grain some start less. Is low & slow smart to do? Is it true theres a negative feedback loop? Which means start slow & immediately titrate up until you mimmic the true thyroid output? Isn’t (15mg) 1/4 grain still more than the thyroid produces?
What's your age and weight? Any history of heart issues? Are you measuring your waking temperature and pulse?
In reading "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness" (a phenomenal book that was influential for Peat, highly recommend reading if you haven't already) Broda Barnes recommends most people who aren't teenagers or younger, or people with history of heart attack to start with 1/2 grain and stay on this dose for 2 months while continuing to monitor symptoms, temp, and pulse, and then if after two months the symptoms aren't resolved and/or temperature has not normalized to increase by another 1/2 grain, and to continue this process until symptoms are resolved.

Hope that makes sense.

bloooeh

Hi. It depends on your thyroid panel. From my experience, I got labs first, then my endocrinologist wanted me on Synthroid but I asked for a combo of t4/t3 so he went with Armour at the lowest dose. After 3 mos of low dose Armour I got thyroid labs again and decided to stay at the same dose. Good luck!

OP
M

mgrabs

What's your age and weight? Any history of heart issues? Are you measuring your waking temperature and pulse?
In reading "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness" (a phenomenal book that was influential for Peat, highly recommend reading if you haven't already) Broda Barnes recommends most people who aren't teenagers or younger, or people with history of heart attack to start with 1/2 grain and stay on this dose for 2 months while continuing to monitor symptoms, temp, and pulse, and then if after two months the symptoms aren't resolved and/or temperature has not normalized to increase by another 1/2 grain, and to continue this process until symptoms are resolved.

Hope that makes sense.
Just ordered it because I’ve heard a lot of talk about it here. I was prescribed NP thyroid my tsh is 15 but my t4 and t3 are soo optimal. I tried it a month ago he had me at a grain and it was not good. I just got on pregnenolone and feel great but stopped the thyroid for now. But im noticing mid day tiredness and brainfog. Mainly hypo symtoms. I was wondering if starting at 15 mg is better. I feel like the thyroid and pregnenolone together would be good but afraid of that overactive feeling that i got on a grain. Ugh is it bad to start low and slow? Soooo many people say it fouled them up some people say it didnt

OP
M

mgrabs

Hope that makes sense.
I feel like maybe its from me stopping the thyroid? I stopped about 5 days ago

Normal Human

Just ordered it because I’ve heard a lot of talk about it here. I was prescribed NP thyroid my tsh is 15 but my t4 and t3 are soo optimal. I tried it a month ago he had me at a grain and it was not good. I just got on pregnenolone and feel great but stopped the thyroid for now. But im noticing mid day tiredness and brainfog. Mainly hypo symtoms. I was wondering if starting at 15 mg is better. I feel like the thyroid and pregnenolone together would be good but afraid of that overactive feeling that i got on a grain. Ugh is it bad to start low and slow? Soooo many people say it fouled them up some people say it didnt
It seems like in general "low and slow" is the way to go. I haven't heard people say that method fouled them up? Starting at a grain seems like a high dose to start with. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting with either 15mg or 30mg per day.

However, without objective tracking (i.e. temperature and pulse rate) (see Temperature and Pulse Basics & Monthly Log – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)) it's probably going to be hard to feel confident you're managing it well.

If midday tiredness and brainfog are your biggest "hypo" symptoms (I say this without knowing your morning temperature) then there are probably lots of other things that could help them besides thyroid.

BTW, what was the reference range for your TSH test? A TSH of 15 is extremely high if your lab was the typical <4.5 reference range.

OP
M

mgrabs

Hi. It depends on your thyroid panel. From my experience, I got labs first, then my endocrinologist wanted me on Synthroid but I asked for a combo of t4/t3 so he went with Armour at the lowest dose. After 3 mos of low dose Armour I got thyroid labs again and decided to stay at the same dose. Good luck!
Hey what was your lose dose of armour? Did you start at 15mg (1/4 grain)

bloooeh

Hey what was your lose dose of armour? Did you start at 15mg (1/4 grain)
Yes, low dose but could’ve increase my dose after my 3 mos lab. Instead I kept the same dose. I took Armour for 6 mos but stopped due to my insurance reason. I had to pay out of pocket. Lately, I have been using Cynoplus w/ 1 drop of Tyronene during breakfast or lunch. I have no labs yet after being on Cynoplus for several months.

OP
M

mgrabs

Yes, low dose but could’ve increase my dose after my 3 mos lab. Instead I kept the same dose. I took Armour for 6 mos but stopped due to my insurance reason. I had to pay out of pocket. Lately, I have been using Cynoplus w/ 1 drop of Tyronene during breakfast or lunch. I have no labs yet after being on Cynoplus for several months.
What dose were you at on armour? Also if you had to choose would it be armour or synthetic ?

Jennifer

I started with 1/4 grain and titrated up every two weeks until I was at an optimal dose. I do the same thing when titrating down.

OP
M

mgrabs

I started with 1/4 grain and titrated up every two weeks until I was at an optimal dose. I do the same thing when titrating down.
Great to know im going to do that. My doctor just ordered me 15mg. He didn’t want to. His response was “ 15mg is a useless dose, that's one quarter grain. Only go up by 30 or 60”. What was your final dose you landed on today?

Jennifer

Great to know im going to do that. My doctor just ordered me 15mg. He didn’t want to. His response was “ 15mg is a useless dose, that's one quarter grain. Only go up by 30 or 60”. What was your final dose you landed on today?

It’s actually kind of refreshing to hear about a doctor wanting their patient to take more thyroid instead of less. lol I was starting off with a cholesterol level (under 200) that warranted going low and slow with dosing. I ended on 2 grains and was on that dose for almost two years but since changing my diet this past summer, I was able to drop it to 1 grain.

bloooeh

What dose were you at on armour? Also if you had to choose would it be armour or synthetic ?
I was on 15 mg. My insurance doesn’t pay for Armour so it’s out of pocket for me but if added up it per month it cost more. I went with synthetic bc I save money in a long run even though I still pay out of pocket but cost less than Armour.

OP
M

mgrabs

I was on 15 mg. My insurance doesn’t pay for Armour so it’s out of pocket for me but if added up it per month it cost more. I went with synthetic bc I save money in a long run even though I still pay out of pocket but cost less than Armour.
Wow great to hear. So you found that 15mg was a dose that you felt optimal on? What is the equivalent synthetic dose to that (25/9?)Are you a male? I’m trying to explain to my doctor how I felt better at lower doses and the doc is saying that its abnormal lol. I just wanted to start at 15mg but put me on a grain & it was not good. Probably because my diet & lifestyle is on point, just always had a sluggish thyroid that needs a little kick

bloooeh

Wow great to hear. So you found that 15mg was a dose that you felt optimal on? What is the equivalent synthetic dose to that (25/9?)Are you a male? I’m trying to explain to my doctor how I felt better at lower doses and the doc is saying that its abnormal lol. I just wanted to start at 15mg but put me on a grain & it was not good. Probably because my diet & lifestyle is on point, just always had a sluggish thyroid that needs a little kick
I wouldn’t say it was optimal however my labs improved a bit.. M btw. Idk the equivalent synthetic dose but when I started Cynoplus I was taking a quarter of a tablet and did that for at least 3 mos. After that I started taking half a tablet and currently doing that now. I do feel better taking half a tablet of Cynoplus but I haven’t gotten labs and it’s been at least 6 mos now. So idk how my levels are with Cynoplus. I need to do my labs soon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals