Beware of Carboxymethylcellulose

Hans

Forum Supporter
This study found that carboxymethylcellulose (a common emulsifier in food and an excipient in supplements) induces worse gut inflammation than polysorbate-80.

"Commonly used synthetic dietary emulsifiers, including carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) and polysorbate-80 (P80), promote intestinal inflammation... CMC treatment significantly increased fecal Lcn-2 levels compared to P80 and water treatment by one week and throughout the experiment. Likewise, CMC treatment increased histologic inflammatory scores and colonic inflammatory cytokine gene expression compared with P80 and water controls. The two emulsifiers differentially affected specific intestinal microbiota. CMC did not impact bacterial composition but significantly decreased Caudoviricetes (bacteriophages), while P80 exposure non-significantly increased the abundance of both Actinobacteria and Proteobacteria. Commonly used dietary emulsifiers have different abilities to induce colitis in humanized mice. CMC promotes more aggressive inflammation without changing bacterial composition."

Perry Staltic

P80 is why I don't drink milk any more. Can't find it without the added vitamin D. Even organic. I did find organic yogurt without it though.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
P80 is why I don't drink milk any more. Can't find it without the added vitamin D. Even organic. I did find organic yogurt without it though.
Luckily our milk isn't fortified, but you don't know what they add in low fat anyway.

Perry Staltic

Luckily our milk isn't fortified, but you don't know what they add in low fat anyway.

I'm jealous. Even almond, soy and coconut milk has it. There must be a US law that says if it's labeled "milk" it has to be fortified.

hering

@Hans do you think that the stuff many capsules for supplements are being made of called hydroxypropylmethylcellulose is bad for the gut, too?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans do you think that the stuff many capsules for supplements are being made of called hydroxypropylmethylcellulose is bad for the gut, too?
It's only a slightly different chemical, so might be. I'd just go for gelatin caps. Safest imo. Or pure powder is even better since usually, they don't add fillers to those.

hering

Alright, thank you. I will be looking for pure powders. I still have some supplements with these capsules without any other fillers - I will open them and consume the pure powder then.

I didn’t find many gelatin capsule supplements yet, many producers probably avoid them because they can’t advertise their products for being vegan.

Mauritio

This study found that carboxymethylcellulose (a common emulsifier in food and an excipient in supplements) induces worse gut inflammation than polysorbate-80.

"Commonly used synthetic dietary emulsifiers, including carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) and polysorbate-80 (P80), promote intestinal inflammation... CMC treatment significantly increased fecal Lcn-2 levels compared to P80 and water treatment by one week and throughout the experiment. Likewise, CMC treatment increased histologic inflammatory scores and colonic inflammatory cytokine gene expression compared with P80 and water controls. The two emulsifiers differentially affected specific intestinal microbiota. CMC did not impact bacterial composition but significantly decreased Caudoviricetes (bacteriophages), while P80 exposure non-significantly increased the abundance of both Actinobacteria and Proteobacteria. Commonly used dietary emulsifiers have different abilities to induce colitis in humanized mice. CMC promotes more aggressive inflammation without changing bacterial composition."
The question is if tiny amounts as in supplements would have a similar effect...? They fed it as 1% of drinking water.

youngsinatra

Lately I started dissolving my B1 in carbonated water instead of using the capsules (hydroxypropylmethylcellulose) and i feel better digestion-wise. The supplement doesn‘t have any additive beside the cellulose capsule, but this is interesting information, thanks!

B

Braveheart

I'm jealous. Even almond, soy and coconut milk has it. There must be a US law that says if it's labeled "milk" it has to be fortified.
Perry, just checked my Almond Breeze almond milk again....doesn't have it...plus my milk here in Belize is unfortified and comes from grass fed cows.

B

Braveheart

Interesting info...thanks

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
The question is if tiny amounts as in supplements would have a similar effect...? They fed it as 1% of drinking water.
Depends on someone's sensitivity and also, a lot of people don't get symptoms while they have gut issues.

Mauritio

Depends on someone's sensitivity and also, a lot of people don't get symptoms while they have gut issues.
True...

Dr. B

US. Yeah it is weird
Hey sir, which area of the US?
Whole milk isnt required to be fortified, but most brands still do it. Actually organic valley, one of the most popular organic brands, used to offer a 100% grass whole milk, no vitamin’s added, but they recently started making it only with vitamin D added.
If youre on the east coast there should be a lot of non fortified options. On the west coast, i think raw milk is actually legal in stores.

Dr. B

How bad are these compared to other fillers and gums? I heard propylele glycol or polyethylene glycol are far worse than even polysorbate 80…?

Also, this cellulose ingredient i believe is the same
Thing used in supplements labelled as “cellulose capsule”. In that case I wonder if some of the side effects people get from certain supplements are just due to the cellulose capsule itself…? For instance if someones taking like 10 different pills a day, one is vitamin d, vitamin k, charcoal and whatever else, maybe some of the issues would be from the capsule…

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals