Calcium and vitamin D3 combinations improve fatty liver disease

Jamsey

“Rats fed on high calcium plus VitD3diets, especially VHCD, demonstrated lower adiposity, serum liver enzymes, hepatic lipid accumulation and steatosis. The LCD diet also decreased hepatic lipid content and fatty changes. No evidence indicating the involvement of AMPK in the observed associations was found”

“The results showed high calcium plus VitD3 intakes considerably prevent biochemical and hepatic changes induced by HFHFr diet, probably via an insulin and AMPK-independent pathway. A low intake of these two nutrients was also linked with a significant decrease in HFHFr diet-induced hepatic steatosis.”

Serge

“The results showed high calcium plus VitD3 intakes considerably prevent biochemical and hepatic changes induced by HFHFr diet, probably via an insulin and AMPK-independent pathway. A low intake of these two nutrients was also linked with a significant decrease in HFHFr diet-induced hepatic steatosis.”
Thank you for sharing!

xeliex

Forum Supporter

“Rats fed on high calcium plus VitD3diets, especially VHCD, demonstrated lower adiposity, serum liver enzymes, hepatic lipid accumulation and steatosis. The LCD diet also decreased hepatic lipid content and fatty changes. No evidence indicating the involvement of AMPK in the observed associations was found”

Good stuff, I wonder what the human equivalent doses of vitamin D and calcium amount would be. I am not sure that a simple multiplication by human weight is the proper way to figure it out.

OP
J

Jamsey

Good stuff, I wonder what the human equivalent doses of vitamin D and calcium amount would be. I am not sure that a simple multiplication by human weight is the proper way to figure it out.
“Male Wistar rats (216 ± 19 g) were used in this study”
If you look at figure 1, the mean intake of kcal per day seems to be around 70. If you look at the energy density of the diet in table 1, it’s about 4.72 kcal/g, so that puts the weight of daily diet at 14.83g. So the test groups were .5%,1.2% and 2.4% calcium as percentage of diet, putting calcium intake at .074g, .177g, and .355g. In weight terms, this is .343 g/kg, .819g/kg, and 1.643g/kg. So converting rat to human dose, we divide each by 6.2 and get
HED:
Normal Calcium: .055g/kg
High calcium: .132g/kg
Very high calcium: 0.265g/kg

For Vitamin D, the doses are 1000 iu/kg diet, 4000 iu/kg diet, and 10000 iu/kg diet. With daily intake of 14.83g, this puts the rat doses at 14.83 iu per day, 59.32 iu per day, and 148.3 iu per day. In weight terms, this is 68.7 iu/kg, 274 iu/kg, 686.6 iu/kg. So
HED: (Vitamin D)
Normal diet: 11.08 iu/kg
High calcium diet: 44.2 iu/kg
Very High Calcium diet: 110.7 iu/kg

The calcium values are fairly insane, so I’d invite anyone to double check my work or try to utilize a different method. But the vitamin d values are fairly reasonable and something you’d probably get with normal supplementation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals