Low Toxin Diet Calcium

Peater

How much calcium are people consuming on this way of eating? (Food and/or supplemental)

mosaic01

Without supplements or mineral water, a low A and low toxin diet probably has around 200-300mg of calcium per day.

OP
P

Peater

Without supplements or mineral water, a low A and low toxin diet probably has around 200-300mg of calcium per day.

Any thoughts on if it's sufficient? Not so much because of the lack of dairy, but more with the increase in phytates etc and less meals where calcium could come from bones like stews, and stocks.

mosaic01

Any thoughts on if it's sufficient? Not so much because of the lack of dairy, but more with the increase in phytates etc and less meals where calcium could come from bones like stews, and stocks.

I suspect it could be a bit too low during the first years, as a lot of the calcium may not be bioavailable (oxalates and phytates in beans, cereals). 500mg would probably be better.

I made a post where I looked into it a bit, and generally 200-300mg should be fine, but during the time where retinoic acid is leaving the body, more calcium may be needed for buffering.

OP
P

Peater

I suspect it could be a bit too low during the first years, as a lot of the calcium may not be bioavailable (oxalates and phytates in beans, cereals). 500mg would probably be better.

I made a post where I looked into it a bit, and generally 200-300mg should be fine, but during the time where retinoic acid is leaving the body, more calcium may be needed for buffering.
Thanks. I mentioned elsewhere that I added a small (1/4 teaspoon?) amount of calcium carbonate to my oat porridge and it somehow really improves it. I stopped doing it for a while but maybe I will start again.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I am experimenting with a modified version. I am having about 30g lean mozarella and 120-150 g raw sheep milk.
my Calcium intake is abut 600 mg and vitamin A intake is under 200 mcg (600 IU) - low enough

OP
P

Peater

I am experimenting with a modified version. I am having about 30g lean mozarella and 120-150 g raw sheep milk.
my Calcium intake is abut 600 mg and vitamin A intake is under 200 mcg (600 IU) - low enough
Interesting! How is that going for you?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Interesting! How is that going for you?
Sleep and digestion are better.
With a high protein / lower calorie regimen, I also lost some weight for the first time in a long time.
During the 1st week or 2 I had a couple of episodes of bad headaches. I am not sure if the dietary changes were the reason.

OP
P

Peater

During the 1st week or 2 I had a couple of episodes of bad headaches. I am not sure if the dietary changes were the reason.
I've actually had an annoying nagging headache since last night. Feels like the beginning of a cold, one of those.

Sleep and digestion are better.
With a high protein / lower calorie regimen, I also lost some weight for the first time in a long time
That's good to know. Yes i am just about back into 33 inch jeans already. Couldn't get into my 34s at Christmas time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Not sure what to do about calcium then.
Organic white corn masa harina? Ray Peat said the calcium was super good in masa.

Nick

Organic white corn masa harina? Ray Peat said the calcium was super good in masa.
I've been eating a lot of organic white corn masa as homemade tortillas and it feels like it works well for me as a staple starch, I'm glad to hear it may be a particularly good calcium source.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
I've been consuming about 100 mg of calcium daily from my food, a sharp decline from the roughly 2,000 mg I used to get on the Ray Peat diet. Despite this decrease, I feel perfectly fine without the surplus of calcium. Developing hypertension on the Ray Peat diet, possibly due to the high calcium intake along with virtually no magnesium intake and elevated vitamin D levels, was troubling. By the way, doesn't Dr. Garrett Smith recommend Calcium Folinate?

OP
P

Peater

I've been consuming about 100 mg of calcium daily from my food, a sharp decline from the roughly 2,000 mg I used to get on the Ray Peat diet. Despite this decrease, I feel perfectly fine without the surplus of calcium. Developing hypertension on the Ray Peat diet, possibly due to the high calcium intake along with virtually no magnesium intake and elevated vitamin D levels, was troubling. By the way, doesn't Dr. Garrett Smith recommend Calcium Folinate?
Thanks for sharing your experience, 2000mg is a lot indeed. I didn't think G.S. recommended any calcium supps let alone anything folic related but I could be wrong.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@Peater

He does. I've checked the transcripts. He suggests stocking up on it because it's now available only by prescription, and companies are running out of it. Once they're out, the only way you can obtain a prescription for it is if you have cancer.

OP
P

Peater

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@Peater

Oh, impressive. The supplement you shared seems to be of exceptionally high quality. It provides the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of 400 micrograms of Folate in just one drop, and there are 800 drops for only $25. I'm curious about its calcium content, though. If it's only one drop, it likely isn't much... However, unfortunately, the shipping cost is $37.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals