Can you take oral progesterone 300mg for sleeping when postmenopausal for indefinit period?

Ildikó

I am postmenopausal over 10 years, had total hysterectomy 3 years ago. I take 300mg oral progesterone capsule with 1 week break per month. It helps to sleep much better than anything else. I still wake up between 1-2 am, usually i can go back to sleep fairly easy after having something small to eat.
I have tried to eat a lot of carbs, salt, ice cream etc before bed, nothing has helped but oral progesterone.
Initially my progesterone level was nonexistent.
After taking progesterone my blood level risen so i wonder if you can take it indefinietly, does the blood progesterone level matters after menopause, over 60?

sugarisgreat

I am postmenopausal over 10 years, had total hysterectomy 3 years ago. I take 300mg oral progesterone capsule with 1 week break per month. It helps to sleep much better than anything else. I still wake up between 1-2 am, usually i can go back to sleep fairly easy after having something small to eat.
I have tried to eat a lot of carbs, salt, ice cream etc before bed, nothing has helped but oral progesterone.
After taking progesterone my blood level risen so i wonder if you can take it indefinietly, does the blood progesterone level matters after menopause, over 60?
Hi-I don't know the answer, but the "nibbler" on Twitter (intense Ray Peat follower) posted several stories about progesterone restoring fertility after menopause. He told a story of a MD who gave his wife progesterone daily after age 40 and it kept her youthful. Where do you get 300mg progesterone? I've been taking 100mg a day, but would be curious to try more. I will look forward to someone answering you re: this question. I'm guessing the answer is a resounding YES.

sweetpeat

Is it prometrium that you take? According to this study the bioavailability of oral progesterone capsules is around 2-3%.
So at 300mg, you'd be getting around 6 to 9mg overall. Not a super high dose to cause concern long term, in my opinion. And if the study is accurate. What are your progesterone levels?

cs3000

yeh if its bioidentical progesterone & not a synthetic progestin, postmenopause that should be good. or much less using on skin

considering ovaries removed, 2 things i would watch for are worsening in excess lethargy/fatigue (could be many things but maybe a sign countering lower estrogen too much & need to reduce), or dry eyes (as ovaries not producing testosterone/androgens with the progesterone like normal). but probably wont be an issue with that amount orally

2 or 3 grams sodium bicarbonate before bed might be another thing worth a try (not sure about long term safety on gut taken every day tho). and avoiding fruit/vegetables in evening

Last edited:
OP
Ildikó

Ildikó

Is it prometrium that you take? According to this study the bioavailability of oral progesterone capsules is around 2-3%.
So at 300mg, you'd be getting around 6 to 9mg overall. Not a super high dose to cause concern long term, in my opinion. And if the study is accurate. What are your progesterone levels?
Thank you for your reply sweatpeat
My progesterone: 13,18nmol/l, estradiol: 61,77pmol/l, Dhea-s: 2,50umol/l.
All of aboves are at different units, i have never converted them so i dont really know my progesterone to estradiol ratio.
In my country it is natural progesterone capsule containing progesterone in safflower oil, comes in 100 and 200 mg doses, so i suppose it is very similiar to Prometrium.

OP
Ildikó

Ildikó

Hi-I don't know the answer, but the "nibbler" on Twitter (intense Ray Peat follower) posted several stories about progesterone restoring fertility after menopause. He told a story of a MD who gave his wife progesterone daily after age 40 and it kept her youthful. Where do you get 300mg progesterone? I've been taking 100mg a day, but would be curious to try more. I will look forward to someone answering you re: this question. I'm guessing the answer is a resounding YES.
I take a 100mg plus a 200 mg progesterone capsule.
My gynecologist gives me the prescription for the progesterone. I have mentioned that i would like to try it for my insomnia, he had no problem with it and him being over 60 he jokingly commented on that he might try it also for his sleeping problem😄

sugarisgreat

I take a 100mg plus a 200 mg progesterone capsule.
My gynecologist gives me the prescription for the progesterone. I have mentioned that i would like to try it for my insomnia, he had no problem with it and him being over 60 he jokingly commented on that he might try it also for his sleeping problem😄
I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

sweetpeat

Thank you for your reply sweatpeat
My progesterone: 13,18nmol/l, estradiol: 61,77pmol/l, Dhea-s: 2,50umol/l.
All of aboves are at different units, i have never converted them so i dont really know my progesterone to estradiol ratio.
In my country it is natural progesterone capsule containing progesterone in safflower oil, comes in 100 and 200 mg doses, so i suppose it is very similiar to Prometrium.
Based on your levels, I would guess the capsules have a bioavailability of around 10%. So you're probably getting the effects of about 30mg progesterone. Still not a huge dose, and the week break is a good idea. If you feel good, I see no reason not to continue what you're doing.

OP
Ildikó

Ildikó

Based on your levels, I would guess the capsules have a bioavailability of around 10%. So you're probably getting the effects of about 30mg progesterone. Still not a huge dose, and the week break is a good idea. If you feel good, I see no reason not to continue what you're doing.
Thank you so much sweetpeat, i wonder how to calculate the 10% bioavalilability?
I dont feel any side effect taking it apart from sleeping better.
I was hoping that it would help to ease my adrenaline, cortisol surges during the night also but unfortunately only helps when i eat a snack.
I do eat fairly peaty, no pufas, carrot salad, lots of fruit, milk, cheese etc., not overweight but it looks that i am not able to regulate my blood sugar.

Ucume

In Peat’s book “From PMS to Menopause” he talks and explains exactly how giving progesterone to an animal past their fertile years will allow them to conceive and birth a healthy baby.
Peat suggests Progesterone wouldn’t be needed forever since taking it transdermally (try putting in inside your vagina to have more absorption) will help the adrenals and brain produce more of its own. However, if u feel good, I don’t see why stop (Peat and others like Dr. Dalton never mentioned any risks with it long term) :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals