CARNIVORES vs VEGETARIANS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
““All vegetarian feed” is often used to label poultry products. However, these products still contain (most likely GMO) grains, pseudo-grains, and/or soy.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I already recommend cutting all nuts and seeds to people with digestive or autoimmune problems and people with gut flora imbalances, but what about healthy people?”

“PUFAs are easily oxidized when in contact with oxygen, heat and light, and oxidized PUFAs are a very bad deal for our health because they create all kinds of toxic reactions with sugars and proteins in our bodies. For this reason, nuts and seeds are much better eaten unroasted and should be refrigerated in an air-tight container and eaten promptly.”

“Macadamia nuts are low in total PUFA compared to other nuts, with a total of only 1.5 grams per 100 grams and most of their fat being monounsaturated. The amount of total PUFA is low enough that the omega-6/omega-3 ratio is not a concern. They are a good source of thiamine, copper and manganese. Macadamia nuts are also very low in antinutrients like phytic acid. They are healthy even in higher amounts.”

“Walnuts are very high in PUFA, with a total of 47.2 grams per 100 grams, with a fair amount omega-3 fat. They are often praised for their high omega-3 content, but are way too high in total PUFA and still have a bad omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“What depletes zinc in your body?

Patients with an acquired form of zinc deficiency usually have a combination of various factors, such as: Nutritional: lack of meat intake, excess phytates (present in legumes, seeds, soy products, and whole grains), or oxalates (found in spinach, okra, nuts, and tea).”

Apple

Some notes on Resistant potato starch:

• Resistant potato starch (RPS) supplementation decreases serum histamine levels.
  • RPS does not influence histamine-degrading enzymes.
  • Relative abundance of histamine-secreting microbes were reduced by RPS.
  • Markers elevated in intestinal permeability are reduced by RPS.
metabolites associated with intestinal permeability, including 5-hydroxylysine, acetylspermidine, and short- and medium-chain carnitines ratios, were significantly reduced by RPS (Resistant potato starch) treatment, suggesting decreased serum histamine might be related to enhanced gut barrier function. These metabolomic findings expand the value of supplementing the diet with RPS.
RPS consumption enhanced intestinal barrier integrity, as evidenced by decreases in leaky gut-associated amino acids and improvements in mitochondrial function, which is consistent with other studies using resistant starch from potatoes .

1-s2.0-S1756464623003407-ga1_lrg.jpg

Resistant Starch​

Most gelatinized starches are digested primarily by hydrolases in the gut, and glucose is subsequently absorbed by the small intestine. However, some starch is resistant to the hydrolases in the small intestine and passes into the large intestine and this type of starch is called resistant starch (RS). RS is divided into four groups: type 1 RS, which is physically inaccessible starch, such as unprocessed whole grain; type 2 RS, starch from plants producing granules such as low starch that are naturally resistant to digestion; type 3 RS, which is retrograded starch produced by processing or cooking; and type 4 RS, chemically modified starch. The effects of RS are similar to those of dietary fiber: slowing the calorie intake and repressing the increase in blood sugar levels. RS is fermented by bacteria in the large intestine and short-chain fatty acids from the fermentation of RS can provide protection against colon cancer.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A diet of milk and fruit, or milk and meat, provides a nutritional balance with generous amounts of calcium and magnesium. Leafy vegetables are a very rich source of magnesium, but they are also a potential source of large amounts of lead and other toxins. In 1960, many people, including the U.S.government, were advocating the use of a largely vegetarian diet for children, because of the amount of radioactive strontium in milk. I compared the amount of strontium in a diet of vegetables that would provide the necessary quantity of calcium and protein, and it was clear that vegetables were the worst source of radioactive strontium, because their ratio of strontium to calcium was much higher than the ratio in milk. The cows were concentrating calcium and protein from the contaminated plant foods, eliminating much of the strontium. This principle still applies to the toxins that are currently found in the U.S. food supply.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Peat: I think it was probably in the 60s when they started finding that… I think it was because the government started regulating the adulteration of meats; they had been simply adding salt water in huge amounts. They started regulating how much water they could put in meat, they started defining the chemicals that could be used. And it turned out that phosphate, various forms, polyphosphate and phosphate salts were effective for making meat hold more water. And once that was approved it became very standard. And so, all of the things you buy in delicatessens are likely to be hydrated ham now, as I think, unless you have it specially made, it's going to be hydrated with something like 15% extra weight. So they charge for it as if it is all meat, it makes it much more profitable.

Sarah: And also, the diapers underneath pieces of meat in grocery stores that have pre-cut pieces of meat for sale are usually very water-logged…

Peat: They can give these chemicals to animals and cause them to have edema at the time they slaughter them. And that counts as the starting weight, and then they can add 15% beyond that. So, if you have very edematous animals, your meat is even more profitable.

Sarah: Untreated fresh meat doesn't leak water. You said Peat, that it's hard to fry steak anymore because of the insane water content, ending up being boiled not fried.

Peat: In the 50s, I liked to have fried ham with eggs for breakfast; but starting in the 60s, I found that I couldn't get anything but boiled ham. Just put it on the frying pan and it would just full up the pan with water.

Sarah: Unless it's like a prosciutto that's been dry-cured, it's probably injected with a lot of water. That's probably why prosciutto is so expensive, then…

Peat: Yeah. And this generally means that you're getting a tremendous extra amount of phosphate.

Sarah: So not only is meat already high in phosphate, they're adding extra phosphate to it. This is why they're noticing 5-6 times dietary intake of phosphates.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@ljihkugft7 said….

“I've come to the conclusion that my gut was still compromised from almost a decade of veganism, even though I've been peating/healing for roughly 1 or 2 years. I believe that my body hasn't been able to fully utilize all the food I've been eating, because of years of protein deficiency which definitely caused a leaky gut and low stomach acid.

3 most impactful changes

1. Retinyl acetate
Everything changed when I started using Idealabs Retinyl acetate (and to a lesser degree Energin - B complex) roughly a month ago.
I think I've been malabsorbing vitamin A due to my healing gut. So, applying it topically has been an absolute game-changer.
Even though I still eat liver, the topical Retinil makes a world of a difference.

2. Oxbile
Oxbile - veganism messed with my bile & stomach acid. So, this has also been massively impactful.
I also believe that it killed off SIBO.
I did an unintentional GI cleanse when I had a candida reaction a month ago ( which might of actually been bacterial), but ever since then my gut has been amazing.

3. Blood sugar regulation
I've been prone to blood sugar dysregulation - probably also from veganism.
Eating protein before sugar, eating frequently, and walking after eating has helped.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Caller 2: I just started listening about 30-40 minutes ago, and you were talking about these sources being inorganic; so, would organic whole wheat, pasta, or organic meats, have less phosphate?

Peat: No, unless they've added it to one product and not the other. But, the way the animal is fed depends more on whether it has a lot of grass versus grains; the grains can be organic but they're still very high in phosphate. And so the animal will be slightly poisoned by eating them.

Sarah: So grass-fed meat and milk will have less phosphate than grain-fed, because grains are very high in phosphate, whole-wheat pasta has more than white (refined) pasta, for example.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Whenever you eat the high-phosphate foods like meats or nuts, if you're constantly having some sugar along with it… fructose in the intestine increases the resistance of the intestine to taking up phosphate. So, it's like a phosphate blocker in the intestine, while a phosphate loss promoter in the kidneys.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The ratio of calcium to phosphorous should be very high. If you're under stress, the phosphate becomes more a problem and adds to the stress. Meat and whole grains are major sources of phosphate. You have to be more concerned with your calcium intake if you have a meat or grained based diet." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Foods high in oxalic acid also impede the absorption of calcium by binding the mineral. Spinach is naturally high in calcium, but it is also high in oxalic acid. The body is unable to process the calcium it provides. Other foods that contain oxalic acid include beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potatoes.”

“High-fiber foods contain phytates, which prevent the body from absorbing calcium in other foods. Eating a high-fiber, whole-wheat cereal with milk, macaroni and cheese, or drinking a tall, cold glass of milk with Boston baked beans and hot dogs may be great-tasting combinations, but they do not boost bone-building nutrition.

Phytates found in whole-grains, legumes (dried beans), nuts and soy products bind the calcium of other foods eaten when they are eaten at the same time. When calcium is bound, the body cannot use it.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“New results from the EPIC-Oxford study suggest that vegans, vegetarians and pescatarians (people who eat fish but no other meat) may be at higher risk of bone fractures, compared with meat eaters. In particular, the results showed that vegans had a higher risk of fractures anywhere in the body (total fractures), as well as fractures of the legs and vertebrae, compared with meat eaters. In addition, vegans, vegetarians and pescatarians had a significantly greater risk of hip fractures. In all cases, however, the increased fracture risk was reduced if participants had a higher body mass index (BMI) and higher calcium and protein intake.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Vegetarianism in any of its various forms, particularly veganism, has been increasing in popularity over the past few years, especially among the young population in the United States. While several studies have shown that a vegan diet (VD) decreases the risk of cardiometabolic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obesity, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, veganism has been associated with adverse health outcomes, namely, nervous, skeletal, and immune system impairments, hematological disorders, as well as mental health problems due to the potential for micro and macronutrient deficits.”

Apple

Wow, thanks for this find.
I only heard of him saying that older people need to increase their protein and here we hear absolutely opposite ...
Incredible, it changes a lot ... "excessive amino acids become antithyroid agents and make metabolism even slower"
Peat endorses vegan diet.
Interestingly, Patrick Timpone used term "botanical fruits" ...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow, thanks for this find.
I only heard of him saying that older people need to increase their protein and here we hear absolutely opposite ...
Incredible, it changes a lot ... "excessive amino acids become antithyroid agents and make metabolism even slower"
Peat endorses vegan diet.
Interestingly, Patrick Timpone used term "botanical fruits" ...

I’m sure the extra minerals in fruits and well cooked vegetables are good for people in their latter years too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“After a century of scientific nutrition, public nutritional policies are doing approximately as much harm as good, and they are getting worse faster than they are getting better." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals