Carrot salad causing constipation

Coffe

So Ive been doing a peatian diet for a month or two now, decided to start having that carrot salad regularly to clear out my gut. Unfortunately it backs me up really bad, anyone know any fixes? I assume most people here already know the recipe but ill post what I do just in case its relevant.
One carrot shredded lengthwise
spoonful of coconut oil
a bit of apple cider vinegar
a little bit of honey for flavor

Mossy

So Ive been doing a peatian diet for a month or two now, decided to start having that carrot salad regularly to clear out my gut. Unfortunately it backs me up really bad, anyone know any fixes? I assume most people here already know the recipe but ill post what I do just in case its relevant.
One carrot shredded lengthwise
spoonful of coconut oil
a bit of apple cider vinegar
a little bit of honey for flavor
Coming from someone who has been dealing with constipation for over a decade now, the carrot salad tends to be a reliable source to help against it. At least for me. So, I could suggest you may want to consider other aspects of your diet, but if you do think it’s the carrot salad I would consider swapping out the coconut oil for olive oil. I feel coconut oil can dry me out, but olive oil does not; and in larger doses it can even help with constipation.

Ben.

coconut oil makes the salad a harsh thing for me too. Olive oil is more gentle. Altough i stopped the carrot salad in general, didnt notice much help/benefit. If it does not work at all then its not the "right" time probably.

Maybe increase salt intake or try the white button mushrooms/bamboo.

Apple

try only half of carrot or 2/3
Don't use honey with it
Eat this salad between main meals

OP
Coffe

Coffe

Coming from someone who has been dealing with constipation for over a decade now, the carrot salad tends to be a reliable source to help against it. At least for me. So, I could suggest you may want to consider other aspects of your diet, but if you do think it’s the carrot salad I would consider swapping out the coconut oil for olive oil. I feel coconut oil can dry me out, but olive oil does not; and in larger doses it can even help with constipation.
Well I hadn't been having this issue before the carrot salad, so I'm pretty sure what that was, looking back at old posts most people said it made them poop, but there were a few people who got constipated eating it. You and another user suggested olive oil so I'll try that.

Sexypizza

Sometimes the carrot salad can thicken up the poop. It might that the poop is too thick to go through and its not really constipation.

OP
Coffe

Coffe

Sometimes the carrot salad can thicken up the poop. It might that the poop is too thick to go through and its not really constipation.
maybe Ill try drinking extra water to dilute it

bookshelf

maybe Ill try drinking extra water to dilute it
I've noticed this, too, and I'm certain that it is the raw carrot (in any form...*just* a raw carrot, in the infamous salad, shredded w/o the condiments, etc.) with or w/o food, morning, afternoon, evening - doesn't matter. Did the water ever help you?

I do think the "dam" breaks at some point but I don't like missing a day or so to "go to the library".

L

Lord Cola

Raw carrot slows digestion if you eat it with meals. I try to eat it a couple of hours after a meal and avoid eating anything for another couple of hours after eating it.

bookshelf

Raw carrot slows digestion if you eat it with meals. I try to eat it a couple of hours after a meal and avoid eating anything for another couple of hours after eating it.
Thank you for that. I will try to be more conscientious about timing and revisit this strategy.

L

Lord Cola

Thank you for that. I will try to be more conscientious about timing and revisit this strategy.
Raw carrot can also lower blood sugar so I try to eat enough during the preceding meal. The blood sugar lowering effect can be intense if I don't eat enough beforehand.

bookshelf

Raw carrot can also lower blood sugar so I try to eat enough during the preceding meal. The blood sugar lowering effect can be intense if I don't eat enough beforehand.
I would be a candidate for that, so good call - thanks for pointing that out. Also, is it ok if I have it with something to drink like orange juice? I could see making a little snack out of it that way. I've been hearing that some people add some charcoal to it. Not sure if it's granulated or the powder (I guess the powder is more effective but can somehow stick to the innards). I have to do some more digging on that one. Have you ever tried that?

L

Lord Cola

I would be a candidate for that, so good call - thanks for pointing that out. Also, is it ok if I have it with something to drink like orange juice? I could see making a little snack out of it that way. I've been hearing that some people add some charcoal to it. Not sure if it's granulated or the powder (I guess the powder is more effective but can somehow stick to the innards). I have to do some more digging on that one. Have you ever tried that?
The salad doesn't work as well for me if I have anything nutritious with it. But you might react to it differently.

If you want to have it with food (such as oj), it might be good to rinse the grated carrots until the water runs clear, to lower the amount of beta carotene available.

Another thing I noticed is, if you're using fresh carrots and you put too much salt on the salad, it becomes soggy and loses crispness, and I think that could lower the effectiveness of the salad.

bornamachine

Try modulating the controllable factors

Grate size
What it's mixed with
Amount eaten
Time eaten

I find it favorable with a bit of garlic and salt

Mixed with sugar not so much

I had the same issue. The only solution was to drink carbonated water. All my life I thought that I am intolerant to it but it seems that makes digestion smooth.

Birdie

Re: Carrot Salad
Ray specifies Olive Oil not coconut oil.
Also, the recipe always includes Salt.

K

Kayaker

Another thing I noticed is, if you're using fresh carrots and you put too much salt on the salad, it becomes soggy and loses crispness, and I think that could lower the effectiveness of the salad.
I think it's supposed to be that way.

L

Lord Cola

You can squeeze more carotenes out of it if it's soggy.
It gets soggy even when I rinse it as much as possible (and squeeze excess water out). If I put just a pinch of salt, it doesn't get that way. If I recall correctly salt has that effect on other vegetables without as much beta carotene too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals