Cigarettes and gut health

Healthseeker

I been dealing with gut health issues for a long while now, and I started smoking cigarettes again. I smoked for 10 years and quit for 5. And my sibo symptoms really improved since starting back. My tolerance to carbs is way better than before, and now im worried cause I dont want to keep smoking, and I want to know why it got better from the cigs.

OP
Healthseeker

Healthseeker

Is there a non-nicotine chemical in the cigarettes that could be causing it?

Veritas IV

I recall researching several tobacco related topics a few months ago. One keyword phrase i happened to search here was tobacco digestion, it turned up some intriguing results. I never would have guessed that it could be so helpful. I recommend plugging it into the search box.

Am still considering snus tobacco pouches for occasional use, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Not sure how helpful this form would be for digestion though.

Oh and btw, i believe it was the late great forum member named Travis that said ammonia may be the most harmful additive in mass produced cigarettes. I may be wrong but I don't believe it's present in more natural or organic products. Something to keep in mind imho.

OP
Healthseeker

Healthseeker

You could tell me what results intrigued you? I googled it too, but I didnt read anything good.

Pete Rey

I started smoking cigars and pipe tobacco last year after not having a cigarette in 15 years. Poor decision during a stressful time. I have some friends who are into it, and justified it as testing out the "negative effects of tobacco are due to additives" theory. I was not inhaling, only wafting, and not smoking more than once a day. And yet, I could feel it taking a toll on my body in terms of energy and immunity. It was the same familiar feeling that made me quit 15 years ago, even more obvious as I am more in tune with my body now. So for my n=1, I'm now in the camp that tobacco is a net health negative, additives or not. No accounting for getting those George Burns genes or Bill Hicks genes. I imagine I'm closer to the latter.

Veritas IV

You could tell me what results intrigued you? I googled it too, but I didnt read anything good.
To clarify the searches were here at the forum. The intriguing part was simply that it seemed to help the digestive tract, which is of high interest in this forum. I don't recall any studies cited but will link if i find one.

One of the more interesting discussions begins here, which links this article, that cited this study, which then leads to other studies, Vit C, Taurine, Vit E as mitigations. That's just one rabbit hole.

Decent digestion testimonies here.

liam183

There's some phenomenon where people who smoke cigarettes and quit are more likely to develop IBD, but they are also able to put it into remission by smoking again

OP
Healthseeker

Healthseeker

Yes i know, I know all the common knowledge stuff about it. And, ive read about using lidocaine for it too. Ive yet to try it though. This topic is pretty important to me so i lm going to keep this up for a while. Maybe somebody know details on the formaldehyde or other chemicals that are in the cigarettes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I been dealing with gut health issues for a long while now, and I started smoking cigarettes again. I smoked for 10 years and quit for 5. And my sibo symptoms really improved since starting back. My tolerance to carbs is way better than before, and now im worried cause I dont want to keep smoking, and I want to know why it got better from the cigs.
Nicotine turns into Nicotinc acid with heat. ;) Nicotinic acid for the win.

OP
Healthseeker

Healthseeker

Nicotine turns into Nicotinc acid with heat. ;) Nicotinic acid for the win.

Ok, google says that a cigarette has an average nicotine content of 1 to 1.5 mg. How much niacin does that convert to? Seems like it wouldn't add up to enough niacin to be therapeutic.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, google says that a cigarette has an average nicotine content of 1 to 1.5 mg. How much niacin does that convert to? Seems like it wouldn't add up to enough niacin to be therapeutic.
Even very small doses of nicotinic acid can have huge benefits.

I agree with Charlie here about the benefits of nicotine. I am also wondering too, if the toxic chemicals in cigarettes can overall poison a person, why then wouldn’t it kill bacteria, good or bad? This may fall under the umbrella of the saying “What kills you heals you.”

peter88

I started smoking cigars and pipe tobacco last year after not having a cigarette in 15 years. Poor decision during a stressful time. I have some friends who are into it, and justified it as testing out the "negative effects of tobacco are due to additives" theory. I was not inhaling, only wafting, and not smoking more than once a day. And yet, I could feel it taking a toll on my body in terms of energy and immunity. It was the same familiar feeling that made me quit 15 years ago, even more obvious as I am more in tune with my body now. So for my n=1, I'm now in the camp that tobacco is a net health negative, additives or not. No accounting for getting those George Burns genes or Bill Hicks genes. I imagine I'm closer to the latter.
Agreed 100%.

Rock_V

Personally, I couldn’t imagine living without tobacco. Look, we live in a chemical laden world of man made chemicals from pesticides to fragrances to pollution.

Parkinson’s disease is the fastest growing neurodegenerative disorder in our modern world. What’s the one thing that consistently protects against it? Cigarette Smoking.

Is that to say it’s without side effects - obviously not. But in moderation, I think there are undeniable benefits (in the right context).

Look at the longest lived people and you’ll find a bounty of tobacco smokers. Not to mention some of the most creative and intelligent people who ever lived.

TucsonJJ

You might be interested in a book I am reading... "Smoke Screens, The Truth about Tobacco" by Richard White.

He claims to debunk just about all negative claims about tobacco over the many years...
YES, I realize that this would be a HUGE undertaking, but so far... I am finding it very interesting. I am a 30 year smoker that quit in 2010. I have to say, I enjoyed smoking very much and had no noticeable bad health effects from it over those years. I still sort of miss it...

Pete Rey

Look at the longest lived people and you’ll find a bounty of tobacco smokers. Not to mention some of the most creative and intelligent people who ever lived.
Sure. George Burns lived to 100. Bill Hicks died of cancer at 32. Frank Zappa at 52. Seems to me with the right genes you can get a pass. I think I can say with reasonable confidence now that I don't have 'em.

And the thing about creativity is funny because weed smokers use the same argument. I heard a psychologist say once (and I agree) that for a small number of creative professionals, maybe 1% of the population, weed probably has some kind of performance-enhancing effect that could probably justify its use. But are you (speaking to the audience) really in that group, or just looking for reasons to justify an addiction? I would apply that same logic to tobacco. Hell, not to bring a sledgehammer to an anthill, but opiate users say it too. Anyone who has used them and plays an instrument knows it's true. There is a level of flow that gets unlocked that was seemingly previously inaccessible.

So while I do think tobacco deserves its reputation as the thinking man's drug of choice, I'm not sure the population that it actually benefits from it in that way is very large. Exceptional people are exceptional first, and it just happens to be that some of them smoke.

OP
Healthseeker

Healthseeker

Well im quitting smoking, I think I smoked about half a carton of marlboro reds all told. Honestly I think it was more of a honeymoon effect, where it shocked my system or my microbiome somehow. How I am judging this is how I digest stuff like cinnamon rolls. I starting taking lactoferrin for about a month and when it ran out, I waited a few days but my gut health didn't last it was back to how it was. So I got another bottle same brand and took that to same way, and ran out about the time I started smoking and I attribute most of the success to the lactoferrin.

TucsonJJ

Well im quitting smoking, I think I smoked about half a carton of marlboro reds all told. Honestly I think it was more of a honeymoon effect, where it shocked my system or my microbiome somehow. How I am judging this is how I digest stuff like cinnamon rolls. I starting taking lactoferrin for about a month and when it ran out, I waited a few days but my gut health didn't last it was back to how it was. So I got another bottle same brand and took that to same way, and ran out about the time I started smoking and I attribute most of the success to the lactoferrin.
I just started Butyrate... so it's early... but I think it may really be helping my long term gut problems/sensitivities. Mine is Pure encapsulations liquid.
I was taking way too many supplements too, so reducing them significantly may be a BIG factor too.
Just an FYI.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals