Citrus peel-derived pectin prevents IBD by shifting fermentation from butyrate to acetate, inulin and FOS do the opposite

Mufasa

The microbiome is one of the most controversial topics in Ray Peat's world.
This study shows what Ray Peat has said for years: Butyrate is inflammatory for the gut.
It does so by activating inflammasome, specifically NLRP3 signaling.

Interestingly, this other study shows that serotonin (5-HT) enhances NLRP3 inflammasome activation and NL3PR induces TPH1 transcription, giving us a positive feedback loop between 5-HT and NLRP3:

Now, it is quite weird that Ray Peat was such a fan of citrus peel (marmalade) and carrots, given he believed in a germ-free gut and both carrots and citrus peel are known to be rich in the prebiotic soluble fiber pectin!

Well this study shows why those fibers might be good anyway. It is not only about insoluble fiber (which increased the transit time and gives roughage to stools), but also because pectin (at least citrus peel-derived pectin) shits the micriobome from butyrate-producing bacteria (γ-Proteobacteria) to acetate-producing bacteria:
1705259815317.png

White is cellulose, blue is inulin and red is pectin.

NLRP3 activation is also highly implicated in battern baldness:

The NLRP3 complex secretes interleukin IL-1β. The study shows that pectin makes sure that in an IBD mouse model (making them IL-10 deficient) IL-1β is almost back to to zero:
1705259203830.png

White is cellulose, blue is inulin and red is pectin. Note that all dietary fats came from soybean oil, which is known to be able to cause IBD in itself:

This makes these results even more remarkable, as the pectin diet (75% pectin, 25% cellulose) prevented IBD even when ALL fats came from soybean oil.

Also LPS was down by the pectin diet, even for mouses without IBD.
1705260023570.png

This study is about citrus peel-derived pectin, but carrot-derived pectin is also being studied and already patented by a company:

The study is really worth printing out for a full read:

Here are some quotes:

"The NOD-like receptor (NLR) family member NLRP3 is a cytosolic protein complex responsible for the proteolytic maturation and secretion of the proinflammatory cytokines IL-1β and IL-18."

"To counteract inflammasome activity, the host constitutively secretes endogenous inhibitors, such as secretory IL-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra) and IL-18 binding protein (IL-18BP). Recently, it has been shown that β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB; a ketone body) is a potent inhibitor of NLRP3.15 16 The level of circulating BHB is known to increase during prolonged fasting, thus, raising the prospect that blunting of NLRP3 activity by BHB may potentially explain, in part, how calorie restriction (CR) and fasting ameliorates inflammatory disorders. Intriguingly, BHB is a structural analogue of butyrate. Yet, in contrast to BHB, butyrate is thought to induce the activation of NLRP3, although this notion remains controversial.15"

"Hence, the goal of this study was to test the hypothesis that dietary intervention with soluble fibres, by virtue of their ability to serve as a precursor for SCFA, may be more beneficial than non-fermentable cellulose during IBD. In accord with this hypothesis, we report that the dietary soluble fibre, pectin, improved colonic inflammation in the immune hyperactivation-induced colitis model. Whereas, inulin (and FOS) exacerbated colitis likely due to this fermentable fibre being largely metabolised to butyrate and being associated to promote expansion of Proteobacteria. Taken together, our findings collectively demonstrate that fermentable fibres have a unique impact on microbiota fermentation that dictates gut inflammation."

"Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS, aka oligofructose, an inulintype fructan) are mainly produced by partial enzymatic hydrolysis of inulin. Together, inulin and FOS are among the mostwidely used prebiotic fibres in the food industry. Therefore,we next analysed the effects of FOS-containing diet (FCD) on colitis development. All standard colitis parameters analysed in αIL-10R treated, FCD-fed mice were indeed comparable to the αIL-10R given ICD-fed (inulin) mice (online supplementary figure S2A–I). Taken together, these results suggest that, at least in thei mmune dysregulation model of colitis, some fibres exacerbate disease, while some are protective."

"Considering the differential impacts of inulin and pectin on colitis severity, we next investigated whether changes in microbiota composition may underlie or be associated with this disparity. In accord with the notion that fermentable fibres nourish microbiota, replacing the insoluble fibre, cellulose, with inulin elevated the total faecal bacterial loads (figure 2A). Notably, while inulin enhanced levels of γ-Proteobacteria, which are well linked to inflammation, this class was decreased in abundance both before and following αIL-10R in PCD-fed mice (figure 2B). Acknowledging the notion that γ-Proteobacteria promote and are promoted by inflammation, levels of γ-Proteobacteria were correlated with the inflammatory marker faecal Lcn2 (figure 2C).Bacteria that are known to readily metabolise fibre into SCFA, including Clostridia cluster XIVa, Lachnospiraceae and Ruminococcaceae,33 were preferentially enhanced by ICD (figure 2D–E).Such increases in butyrogenic bacteria following ICD, but no tPCD feeding, was correlated with expression of butyryl-CoA:acetate CoA-transferase (BCoAT), a key bacterial enzyme involvedin butyrate synthesis (figure 2F). While replacing cellulose witheither fermentable fibre resulted in increased levels of caecal SCFA, PCD preferentially enhanced acetate, whereas ICD preferentially increased butyrate (figure 2G–I)"

"While pectin is not classified as a FODMAP, it remains unclear whether pectin has any, if not reduced, side effects when consumed during IBD. At least in comparison to inulin, we demonstrated that pectin-feeding resulted in less caecal butyrate. Considering that inulin and pectin are structurally distinct and require specific enzymes (eg, inulinases and pectinases) for their fermentation, it seems conceivable that these fibres may differentially cater to diverse groups of bacteria, resulting in disparate SCFA profiles and physiological effects. Additionally, we reasoned that the mucoprotection conferred by pectin during colitis may be, in part but strongly, associated with its abilityto upregulate IL-1Ra, which is known to counter-regulate IL-1β bioactivity, in addition to promoting elevation of colonic T_regs. Further studies are needed to explore whether pectin may serve as an alternative source of fibre for patients with IBD who frequently develop complications with FODMAPs or similar types of complex carbohydrate-rich foods, to rescue from prolonged fibre deprivation."

OP
M

Mufasa

OP
M

Mufasa

....and what about Apple pectin?
My guess is that it probably has similar effects.

I respond best to carrot fiber, better than apples.
I also eat sometimes organic Kumquats (with peel), but I found it easiest to eat carrots.
Eating now 200-300g carrots per day, (split per meal), and it has resolved a lot of inflammation, in just 2 weeks.

Dave Clark

It is different. Citrus peel derived pectin is not absorbed (or at least less) than modified citrus pectin, as it is a much larger molecule.
True, but until it is absorbed, it may well have the same effects as non-modified citrus pectin. I think there may be a retention or detention time that may allow it to shift the microbiome from butyrate to acetate producing bacteria. Of course, studies would have to confirm that, and MCP is not that widely used, however, I would guess it would at least have some of those effects.

David PS

David PS

True, but until it is absorbed, it may well have the same effects as non-modified citrus pectin. I think there may be a retention or detention time that may allow it to shift the microbiome from butyrate to acetate producing bacteria. Of course, studies would have to confirm that, and MCP is not that widely used, however, I would guess it would at least have some of those effects.

I found MCP too be expensive to be used year around. I get my acetate from vingear. Here is a video that was posted today.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bN6WDD9k7c

TucsonJJ

The microbiome is one of the most controversial topics in Ray Peat's world.
This study shows what Ray Peat has said for years: Butyrate is inflammatory for the gut.
It does so by activating inflammasome, specifically NLRP3 signaling.

Interestingly, this other study shows that serotonin (5-HT) enhances NLRP3 inflammasome activation and NL3PR induces TPH1 transcription, giving us a positive feedback loop between 5-HT and NLRP3:

Now, it is quite weird that Ray Peat was such a fan of citrus peel (marmalade) and carrots, given he believed in a germ-free gut and both carrots and citrus peel are known to be rich in the prebiotic soluble fiber pectin!

Well this study shows why those fibers might be good anyway. It is not only about insoluble fiber (which increased the transit time and gives roughage to stools), but also because pectin (at least citrus peel-derived pectin) shits the micriobome from butyrate-producing bacteria (γ-Proteobacteria) to acetate-producing bacteria:
View attachment 60364
White is cellulose, blue is inulin and red is pectin.

NLRP3 activation is also highly implicated in battern baldness:

The NLRP3 complex secretes interleukin IL-1β. The study shows that pectin makes sure that in an IBD mouse model (making them IL-10 deficient) IL-1β is almost back to to zero:
View attachment 60362
White is cellulose, blue is inulin and red is pectin. Note that all dietary fats came from soybean oil, which is known to be able to cause IBD in itself:

This makes these results even more remarkable, as the pectin diet (75% pectin, 25% cellulose) prevented IBD even when ALL fats came from soybean oil.

Also LPS was down by the pectin diet, even for mouses without IBD.
View attachment 60367

This study is about citrus peel-derived pectin, but carrot-derived pectin is also being studied and already patented by a company:

The study is really worth printing out for a full read:

Here are some quotes:

"The NOD-like receptor (NLR) family member NLRP3 is a cytosolic protein complex responsible for the proteolytic maturation and secretion of the proinflammatory cytokines IL-1β and IL-18."

"To counteract inflammasome activity, the host constitutively secretes endogenous inhibitors, such as secretory IL-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra) and IL-18 binding protein (IL-18BP). Recently, it has been shown that β-hydroxybutyrate (BHB; a ketone body) is a potent inhibitor of NLRP3.15 16 The level of circulating BHB is known to increase during prolonged fasting, thus, raising the prospect that blunting of NLRP3 activity by BHB may potentially explain, in part, how calorie restriction (CR) and fasting ameliorates inflammatory disorders. Intriguingly, BHB is a structural analogue of butyrate. Yet, in contrast to BHB, butyrate is thought to induce the activation of NLRP3, although this notion remains controversial.15"

"Hence, the goal of this study was to test the hypothesis that dietary intervention with soluble fibres, by virtue of their ability to serve as a precursor for SCFA, may be more beneficial than non-fermentable cellulose during IBD. In accord with this hypothesis, we report that the dietary soluble fibre, pectin, improved colonic inflammation in the immune hyperactivation-induced colitis model. Whereas, inulin (and FOS) exacerbated colitis likely due to this fermentable fibre being largely metabolised to butyrate and being associated to promote expansion of Proteobacteria. Taken together, our findings collectively demonstrate that fermentable fibres have a unique impact on microbiota fermentation that dictates gut inflammation."

"Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS, aka oligofructose, an inulintype fructan) are mainly produced by partial enzymatic hydrolysis of inulin. Together, inulin and FOS are among the mostwidely used prebiotic fibres in the food industry. Therefore,we next analysed the effects of FOS-containing diet (FCD) on colitis development. All standard colitis parameters analysed in αIL-10R treated, FCD-fed mice were indeed comparable to the αIL-10R given ICD-fed (inulin) mice (online supplementary figure S2A–I). Taken together, these results suggest that, at least in thei mmune dysregulation model of colitis, some fibres exacerbate disease, while some are protective."

"Considering the differential impacts of inulin and pectin on colitis severity, we next investigated whether changes in microbiota composition may underlie or be associated with this disparity. In accord with the notion that fermentable fibres nourish microbiota, replacing the insoluble fibre, cellulose, with inulin elevated the total faecal bacterial loads (figure 2A). Notably, while inulin enhanced levels of γ-Proteobacteria, which are well linked to inflammation, this class was decreased in abundance both before and following αIL-10R in PCD-fed mice (figure 2B). Acknowledging the notion that γ-Proteobacteria promote and are promoted by inflammation, levels of γ-Proteobacteria were correlated with the inflammatory marker faecal Lcn2 (figure 2C).Bacteria that are known to readily metabolise fibre into SCFA, including Clostridia cluster XIVa, Lachnospiraceae and Ruminococcaceae,33 were preferentially enhanced by ICD (figure 2D–E).Such increases in butyrogenic bacteria following ICD, but no tPCD feeding, was correlated with expression of butyryl-CoA:acetate CoA-transferase (BCoAT), a key bacterial enzyme involvedin butyrate synthesis (figure 2F). While replacing cellulose witheither fermentable fibre resulted in increased levels of caecal SCFA, PCD preferentially enhanced acetate, whereas ICD preferentially increased butyrate (figure 2G–I)"

"While pectin is not classified as a FODMAP, it remains unclear whether pectin has any, if not reduced, side effects when consumed during IBD. At least in comparison to inulin, we demonstrated that pectin-feeding resulted in less caecal butyrate. Considering that inulin and pectin are structurally distinct and require specific enzymes (eg, inulinases and pectinases) for their fermentation, it seems conceivable that these fibres may differentially cater to diverse groups of bacteria, resulting in disparate SCFA profiles and physiological effects. Additionally, we reasoned that the mucoprotection conferred by pectin during colitis may be, in part but strongly, associated with its abilityto upregulate IL-1Ra, which is known to counter-regulate IL-1β bioactivity, in addition to promoting elevation of colonic T_regs. Further studies are needed to explore whether pectin may serve as an alternative source of fibre for patients with IBD who frequently develop complications with FODMAPs or similar types of complex carbohydrate-rich foods, to rescue from prolonged fibre deprivation."
So, for slowpokes like me... to clarify... I have been using both psyllium fiber and cellulose. Psyllium seems to agree with me, does not bloat... cellulose, like the brand that Georgi recommended (which, BTW, is actually microcrystalline cellulose, odd), treats me OK too... which, or neither, are recommended for daily use? I see just below a Dinkov post saying soluble fiber (like psyllium?) causes liver cancer... ??? I do seem to need a fiber supplement,a s I tend towards minor constipation without one.
I also recently started Butyrate liquid.. many videos online claim it is great for gut health... jeeze...

OP
M

Mufasa

It could be, but the microbiome (should) live mostly in the colon. So then it should not be already completely absorbed before it reaches the colon.
If you want to change the microbiome, I think that it will probably be easier just to eat (quite some) carrots. All soluble fibers in carrots are pectin, and the rest of the fiber is mostly cellulose, which helps speed transit time.

And making sure to not eat inulin-rich food while you are changing the microbiome, such as bananas, onions etc.

All soluble fibers in apples and pears are also pectin.

So, for slowpokes like me... to clarify... I have been using both psyllium fiber and cellulose. Psyllium seems to agree with me, does not bloat... cellulose, like the brand that Georgi recommended (which, BTW, is actually microcrystalline cellulose, odd), treats me OK too... which, or neither, are recommended for daily use? I see just below a Dinkov post saying soluble fiber (like psyllium?) causes liver cancer... ??? I do seem to need a fiber supplement,a s I tend towards minor constipation without one.
I also recently started Butyrate liquid.. many videos online claim it is great for gut health... jeeze...

Cellulose is great for transit times, and probably for making sure that the microbiome stays in the colon and doesn't grow over to the small intestines (SIBO). I wouldn't take microcrystalline cellulose. It is much a smaller form of cellulose (less polymers) and it might have different effects. Carrots contain 50% cellulose and 50% pectin (according to Table 8. [Fiber Content of Selected Vegetables*]. - Endotext - NCBI Bookshelf). This might be ideal as it will gives quick transit times and any fermentation that will happen is not gonna trigger the inflammasome.

Osukhan

I found MCP too be expensive to be used year around. I get my acetate from vingear. Here is a video that was posted today.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bN6WDD9k7c

ive been binging all this guy's videos, especially since i enjoy fasting. ive been using acv for a long time, and have been adding Potassium bicarbonate to it for over a month.
what do you think of his content? he def is pro low carb, which goes against things around here...

TucsonJJ

It could be, but the microbiome (should) live mostly in the colon. So then it should not be already completely absorbed before it reaches the colon.
If you want to change the microbiome, I think that it will probably be easier just to eat (quite some) carrots. All soluble fibers in carrots are pectin, and the rest of the fiber is mostly cellulose, which helps speed transit time.

And making sure to not eat inulin-rich food while you are changing the microbiome, such as bananas, onions etc.

All soluble fibers in apples and pears are also pectin.

Cellulose is great for transit times, and probably for making sure that the microbiome stays in the colon and doesn't grow over to the small intestines (SIBO). I wouldn't take microcrystalline cellulose. It is much a smaller form of cellulose (less polymers) and it might have different effects. Carrots contain 50% cellulose and 50% pectin (according to Table 8. [Fiber Content of Selected Vegetables*]. - Endotext - NCBI Bookshelf). This might be ideal as it will gives quick transit times and any fermentation that will happen is not gonna trigger the inflammasome.
I know that Dinkov has said that microcrystalline cellulose is NOT a good additive in supplements, which makes it odd that he recommended a specific cellulose, Allergy Research Group Cellulose, that is almost certainly microcrystalline cellulose. VERY confusing!

I read that psyllium fiber is not very "fermentable", so I'll stick with that... for now... but II hope Dinkov can clear up the cellulose supplement question... I do eat 4-5 baby carrots with most meals... and I do take activated charcoal with some coconut oil a few times/week...
MY gut problems may be mostly due to histamine intolerance? Might cause anxiety and depression too, which I have more often than I'd prefer...

OP
M

Mufasa

Allergy Research Group Cellulose, that is almost certainly microcrystalline cellulose. VERY confusing!
I used to be pure cellulose, but they changed. I have used it before it changed as well.

TucsonJJ

I used to be pure cellulose, but they changed. I have used it before it changed as well.
I thought that he recommended it recently, but can't find his post...

I notice a guy here posted Haidut's recommendation... recently.

Do you use a brand that is "pure" cellulose? Link? Thx!

David PS

ive been binging all this guy's videos, especially since i enjoy fasting. ive been using acv for a long time, and have been adding Potassium bicarbonate to it for over a month.
what do you think of his content? he def is pro low carb, which goes against things around here...

I like his content, I find it to be thought provoking. He is not going to displace Dr. Peat as my primary source for understanding how to stay healthy.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom