Clarification of gelatin intake and sources

barbwirehouse

Gelatin is obviously a big part of any Peaterian diet but I can't seem to find much info on suggested intake or best ways.

Is the gelatin you're getting from powder (like in water or gummy bear) as good as gelatin from meat like beef or lamb?

How much gelatin should you eat?

tara

Hi,
IIRC, If you have a good source that agrees with you, I think Peat has suggested an adult can probably eat gelatine up to something like 50g, which is a good part of protein needs. I think people have reported benefits from amounts of the order of 20g. Others may have comments on this.

If you eat muscle meat, Peat has said it's good to eat some gelatin with it to balance amino acids.

Three main sources:
* You can get collagen or gelatin (cooked collagen) by boiling up gelatinous joints to make stock. I usually chew the gristly bits off my stock bones after they've cooked for a couple of hours too. The stiffer the cooled stock,, the more gelatin in it. I usually have cup of soup makde from stock several nights a week.
* You can buy powdered gelatin, and use it to make jellies of various kinds, or mix it with hot drinks. You have to hande with a little care to minimise clumping - usually mix with cold water before heating or mixing into hot liquid. Good to look for a brand with no additives. Check out the recipes section for ideas. I make finger strength orange juice jellies, that make a portable snack. Some people here buy and recommend Great Lakes gelatin, but I haven't tried it yet. Depending where you are, you may find other sources.
* Collagen hydrolysate is collagen protein broken down into smaller subunits. You can add tis to drinks - it dissolves. Again, watch out for dodgy additives - some people buy Great Lakes, but I've yet to try it.
They can all be good if your GI system is happy with them. Which is best for you best for you depends on your system and tastes. Some people find one or other form easier to digest.

4peatssake

Peat has actually said an adult can eat up to 100 grams of gelatin.

Ray Peat said:
Since 30 grams of glycine was commonly used for treating muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, and some people find that quantities in that range help to decrease fatigue. For a growing child, though, such a large amount of refined gelatin would tend to displace other important foods. The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin.
Gelatin, stress, longevity

I don't consume anything near that much though.
I think broth and from gelatinous cuts of meat like oxtail is probably the most ideal source but I supplement with collagen hydrolysate (green can) from Great Lakes and make gelatin desserts with regular cooked collagen from Now Foods.

tara

4peatssake said:
Peat has actually said an adult can eat up to 100 grams of gelatin.

Ray Peat said:
Since 30 grams of glycine was commonly used for treating muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, and some people find that quantities in that range help to decrease fatigue. For a growing child, though, such a large amount of refined gelatin would tend to displace other important foods. The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin.
Gelatin, stress, longevity

I don't consume anything near that much though.
I think broth and from gelatinous cuts of meat like oxtail is probably the most ideal source but I supplement with collagen hydrolysate (green can) from Great Lakes and make gelatin desserts with regular cooked collagen from Now Foods.
I stand corrected on quantity - thanks for hunting up the reference, 4ps.

sm1693

barbwirehouse said:
Is the gelatin you're getting from powder (like in water or gummy bear) as good as gelatin from meat like beef or lamb?

Pig feet and cow feet are some of the best all-around ingredients to make gelatin broth;

1: They produce a larger amount of finished gelatin, in a very solid consistency once cooled.

2. Incredibly cheap. Less than $2/pound compared to $6/pound for oxtail or shank. (Texas)

There definitely could be adverse health effects to using feet that I am unaware of at the moment, but the powdered gelatin gives me strong serotonin symptoms, and why not use the real thing when it is freely available to us?

Preparation: Nothing can beat the ease of an automatic pressure cooker. You can turn it on and come back in an hour. 3 hours of cooking will be done in that hour. Again, I have not dug too deeply into any adverse health impacts of pressure cooking, but for me, it would not be repeatable to stove simmer the broth and watch it for 3 hours at a time.

sm1693

sm1693 said:
Preparation: Nothing can beat the ease of an automatic pressure cooker. You can turn it on and come back in an hour. 3 hours of cooking will be done in that hour. Again, I have not dug too deeply into any adverse health impacts of pressure cooking, but for me, it would not be repeatable to stove simmer the broth and watch it for 3 hours at a time.

Update: I now think stovetop slow boiling for 3 hours is better than the pressure cooker because you can evaporate off a good amount of water so it's a more concentrated broth. I have been making huge batches, cooling the broth in the fridge in glass mason jars, then removing the white fat once it's solidified on top, then I transfer to plastic containers and put it in the freezer. Real gelatin goes bad within a few days if just left in fridge.

I'm also leaning towards using beef feet only instead of pork. I seem to get a slight headache from pork.

I tried a powder hydrolyzed gelatin recommended by Roddy the other day and experienced massive serotonin symptoms within 20 minutes. Hopefully, we, as a group, can start to further understand serotonin causes better because it does seem to be the reason that most humans die of "natural causes," and therefore could be the reason for most death and suffering.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals