Warning About Gelatin Powder. Damaged Sleep For Years (Did Peat Turn Away From it?)

japanesedude

You can imagine the ammount of Glycine contained in Gelatin.Glycine will drop your cortisol a lot even at 500mg dose.
There’s reason why I would only take Glycine with big bottle of coke.

OP
C

Clyde

Hi Clyde, I imagine if it’s related to a DAO deficiency, you would experience symptoms with other high histamine foods? I’m not sure why gelatin would slow digestion if no digestive issues are present, but I experienced that, as well. If iron from oxtail soup is a concern, there’s always broth made from non-oily fish or chicken feet. In case you’re interested, I used to make this fish broth recipe:

Chicken feet sound like a really good idea if I can find them. Whole fish would work too. I could only think of sardines but I've seen whole halibut which doesn't have the fish fat. Great ideas, thanks.

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @Clyde. I hope the broth treats you better. :)

member11823

I see no issue, it's amino acids at all. It's better than 50 g whey isolate / hydrolysate for example...
I feel great, thank God.

Last edited:

member11823

Whey makes constipated, pea protein isolate too. I'm exercising a lot, I'm working a lot using my brain.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I have noticed the same. Since I incorporated gelatin (20-30 grams a day) into my diet around 3 or 4 months ago, I have terrible sleep issues. Plus my eyes have become puffy. I used 2 different grassfed versions of gelatin.
Here and Now:
I noticed the same symptom exactly. Since I added gelatin (15 grams a day) to my diet, I noticed that my eyes became irritated. I used grassfed gelatin, from the US, not south america.
I am not sure that my sleep was any worse, but it was not better.

Gawdawg

On the daily I use about 16 grams of gelatin by Great Lakes in the form of gummies. Before using that brand I was using a grass fed gelatin that was high in cyteine, methionine, and tryptophan. I switched over to Great Lakes due to zero cysteine and zero tryptophan. I've not had any difficulty sleeping.

I've heard Ray Peat discourage the use of Glycine supplements.

Ginali

Forum Supporter
Dairy and meat products, along with all derivatives... It seems that vaccination, deworming, and other treatments of farm animals have been changed a long ago. There's a growing unease in me, a sense that something isn't quite right what they have changed. You can't raise any farm animal, even organically, without adhering to essential veterinary procedures, such as vaccinations and the like.

Mossy

On the daily I use about 16 grams of gelatin by Great Lakes in the form of gummies. Before using that brand I was using a grass fed gelatin that was high in cyteine, methionine, and tryptophan. I switched over to Great Lakes due to zero cysteine and zero tryptophan. I've not had any difficulty sleeping.

I've heard Ray Peat discourage the use of Glycine supplements.
I think you may have misheard. Glycine is one of the few supplements that Ray has been quoted as saying is ok to take:

“I don’t think it’s very safe to use individual amino acids, glycine is the only one I know of that is safe by itself because it can be used as energy”

FitnessMike

I'm posting so people like me don't overlook it as a possibility. I hope it helps someone.

After years of trouble shooting since adopting Dr. Peat's principles, I'm about certain that the 14-21 grams of gelatin a day was making my sleep worse. I was usually using Now Brand Beef gelatin but I would also use generic store bought in packets at times and heat it to near boiling in coffee or soup (my caffeine intake doesn't change though).

I went through every supplement or drug that I though could be an issue but never considered gelatin. I only recently noticed that I don't get the same drowsy feeling after gelatin that I get after glycine (although I can't say I noticed it was stimulating) and this ended up being one of the last things that I considered because of the glycine content.

And when I think about it, gelatin powder is one of the rare exceptions where Ray Peat supports a very unnatural food product. The facilities that produce gelatin powder look like mini oil refineries.

I only recently noticed that he mentions collagenous soups for himself and not gelatin powder in all the interviews I've heard. So maybe he had changed his opinion on the powder.
Can you explain in what way gelatine messes your sleep up?

FitnessMike

I woke up sooner and slept less in total. Quality was worse too. Not fun
is this still the case? or have you figured out the way to take it?

bagotage

How would this apply to hydrolyzed collagen vs. actual gelatin?

I've stopped gelatin years ago. I had found that gelatin smells bad, like a slaughterhouse. But collagen doesn't have that smell. I know some people have trouble with collagen also, but most don't, and I think the endotoxin levels in gelatin are much much greater.

InChristAlone

I've stopped gelatin years ago. I had found that gelatin smells bad, like a slaughterhouse. But collagen doesn't have that smell. I know some people have trouble with collagen also, but most don't, and I think the endotoxin levels in gelatin are much much greater.
Yeah I will never consume much gelatin for this reason.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals