"Coconut Oil 'as Unhealthy As Beef Fat And Butter'"

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

So this girl gulps PUFA like no other but stay healthy. How??

Yuka Kinoshita How Does She Do It?

She still looks good and healthy today:

I think it's wrong to judge a person's health solely based on their looks, especially if they're wearing make up. You've no idea what health issues she's experiencing.

I'll also say that it seems well established that degenerative changes are heritable. It's very possible she had healthy parents who didn't overindulge in PUFA. Let's see how she is in 45+ years time and then comment.

Jarman

I think it's wrong to judge a person's health solely based on their looks, especially if they're wearing make up. You've no idea what health issues she's experiencing.

I'll also say that it seems well established that degenerative changes are heritable. It's very possible she had healthy parents who didn't overindulge in PUFA. Let's see how she is in 45+ years time and then comment.

True true. But we can't ignore the facts that Japanese love eating fish. Fish is huge part of their main cuisine. And fish is PUFA galore. Okinawans love lots of pork in their dishes. They live 100+ years.

I still believe PUFA is bad, but let's be honest, we don't know everything about health and are still looking for answers. I personally still question everything, even things that I think are absolute true.

Elysium

As @yerrag would say, lies.

But let me give it my shot before anyone qualified responds.

- isolated fructose with no glucose was given, not peaty
- high sugar + high fat, not peaty
- rats are not humans, they metabolize sugar differently
- the study conceded that the coconut rats were by far the skinniest, so there. Although they developed diabetes. But still the skinniest.
- the coconut oil rats acted more stupid, but thats because they actually got smarter and were just messing with the researchers
- the coconut rats were the real winners, as they were probably euthanized first. The control rats had two more experiments to go.

Last edited:

yerrag

What kind of coconut oil? What kind of soya oil? Were they using stale virgin coconut oil that's been sitting for a year or two? Were they using fully hydrogenated soya oil? Authors didn't state.
As @Elysium would say I would say, lies. Concealing material information is misleading and deceiving. But that is the bedrock of many flawed studies.

lvysaur

I don't think this should be considered a debate at all. What's the pros and cons of saturated fats? What's the pros and cons of polyunsaturated fats? I mean, as far as health goes. Hands down, saturated fats wins.

Long term, yes, short term, no.

Drareg

We know as pointed out in this thread the BBC and other news sites will normally cover topics that may contradict the established views however I felt this article on coconut oil was a bit off,like an initial seed for this-
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40325035

"Human trials of a cholesterol-lowering vaccine to help prevent heart disease are under way after successful studies in mice".

The semantics are unusual,a slight cockup you may think? thing is people are more paranoid of child vaccines whereas the elderly are getting jabs by the millions for flu very year and they are the market for cholesterol lowering drugs.

tara

a bit more humility and less emotions and naivety would be in order.
.... there are millions of people living healthy and long lives avoiding saturated fats and drowning in pufas.
Where exactly?
Millions of healthy old people who have drowned in PUFAs? Please show me evidence for this claim because, if true, it would go a long way toward refuting Peat.
+1.

So this girl gulps PUFA like no other but stay healthy. How??
She's in her early 30s. If she lives to a healthy old age, she will be a relevant single data point.
At a first glance at that plateful in front of her, it looks as though she is eating lots of actual food, not gulping a high proportion of her diet as refined seed oils. Probably quite generous nutrition on several fronts.

And fish is PUFA galore.
Some fish is higher in PUFA than others, and even then, not necessarily high compared with refined seed oils that are commonly used in daily foods for many USers.

Okinawans love lots of pork in their dishes.
I think the traditional Okinawan diet is relatively low in fat and high in starch?

I still believe PUFA is bad, but let's be honest, we don't know everything about health and are still looking for answers. I personally still question everything, even things that I think are absolute true.
I'm with you on continuing to question.

beta pandemic

I think it's wrong to judge a person's health solely based on their looks

actually physical appearance is the best indicator of health. people who dont feel well usually dont look well and vice-versa. its not wrong to judge and we judge because it is naturally in-built to be able to recognize health indicators in others and ourselves. healthy skin, glowy and well rested full face are reliable indicators.

yerrag

actually physical appearance is the best indicator of health. people who dont feel well usually dont look well and vice-versa. its not wrong to judge and we judge because it is naturally in-built to be able to recognize health indicators in others and ourselves. healthy skin, glowy and well rested full face are reliable indicators.
The Asian penchant for whiteness of skin is an example of beauty that belies the poor state of one's calcium balance. In the Philippines, for example, it is common for women to shield themselves with an umbrella from the embrace of the sun. They buy beauty bars that contain papaya enzyme to make their skin white, buy glutathione supplements for the same reason, and that is just fine. But they go to an extreme by avoiding any sunlight. Most Asian (at least Southeast Asia) skin contain more melanin than Caucasian skin, and would need more sun exposure in order to produce as much vitamin D. Yet, by using umbrellas, and only getting sunlight thru windows that filter off UVB, many Asian women don't realize their white beauty is only skin deep. They are a time bomb waiting for cancer and osteoporosis to emerge.

So, no, physical appearance isn't the best indicator of health.

If I have to reserve the word "bimbo" as an adjective, I would recommend using it to describe them.

And this does not excuse Asian men. They would go to beaches and wear sunblocks and wear UV-blocking swimsuits. They just follow Western advertisements, without considering the context. They're not Caucasians. They have more melanin protecting them more from sunlight. They also end up with osteoporosis and cancer, avoding the sun. I have never met a Filipino who died of cancer of the skin, such as melanoma.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

And fish is PUFA galore.

Well, lots of types of fish are pretty low fat, regardless of breakdown. Cod, for example, has less than a gram of fat for every 20 grams of protein. Eel, Lobster, Crab, and Oysters aren't really fatty, either.

tankasnowgod

But not from a photo or video, unless the problem is insanely obvious. So many things can be hidden with makeup, lighting, and clothing, and of course, post video effects.

If you ever watched the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster," at one point, the director talked with a guy who did photoshoots for Fat Burner pills. Often, he would take both the before and after shots using the same model on the same day.

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

I didn't mean morally wrong, I meant it would be a mistake - there are so many things a person can do to change their appearance.

Tarmander

Nihilism is high in this thread...can't know everything so cling to nothing...

Isnt the BBC only for dry detective shows?

yerrag

Nihilism is high in this thread...can't know everything so cling to nothing...

Isnt the BBC only for dry detective shows?
You got that right!

Elysium

And so the pufa vs coconut oil study above gets no responses? I suppose the fate of most studies here that contradict Peat. We'll sit and wait for the other study that will show that pufa oil is worse for rats than coconut oil. Then it will be :

:rightagain2

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

And so the pufa vs coconut oil study above gets no responses? I suppose the fate of most studies here that contradict Peat. We'll sit and wait for the other study that will show that pufa oil is worse for rats than coconut oil. Then it will be :

:rightagain2

No one responded because it wasn't worth responding to; firstly because you seemed to give quite an apt summary of why the study is bunk, and secondly because most of us here know that most studies are bunk by nature of their design, and that the truest explanation of what happens in the body is a biochemical-mechanical one. The above study shows us a possibility of what happens when you feed rats a high-fructose high-coconut oil diet, but that says nothing of the mechanisms by which those substances exert their effects.

For a nutritional study to be believable it needs to be backed up by a mechanistic explanation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals