Cold Feet And Hands, And Raising Metabolism?

max219

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to a Peat inspired diet. I was previously "primal" for about three years, slightly low carb for the first year of that, and "CW healthy" for 6 months before that (but under-eating and dropping to 115 pounds at 5'5, I'm a male). I was a long distance runner for 7 years but stopped in May.

Anyway, I have been eating Peat strictly for about 2 months ago. My main goals are to improve my hormones and metabolism. I feel great eating this way (lots of energy and great digestion), however since the weather is cooling my feet are freezing all night, and sometimes my hands are frozen during the day. Is this showing that my metabolism low, or could it just be the change in weather? I am eating around 3000 calories daily, lower in fat (30-40 grams), but plenty of sugar and carbohydrate. I also eat nourishing shellfish a few times a week.

I also would like to ask about supplements, particularly raw thyroid and and progest-e. I feel I have higher estrogen levels (higher toned voice, retain fat in breast area despite being athletic and a lower (~15%) body fat). I also sometimes think I am hypothyroid from being a competitive long distance runner for 7 years, the 6 months of severe undereating a few years ago, and mostly under eating comparative to my activity level in recent years. I don't run anymore but I do weight train.

Sorry if that was long-winded and if I posted it in the wrong forum.

jb4566

max219 said:
Is this showing that my metabolism low, or could it just be the change in weather?

Both, weather has a huge affect on hormones.

max219 said:
I also would like to ask about supplements, particularly raw thyroid and and progest-e. I feel I have higher estrogen levels (higher toned voice, retain fat in breast area despite being athletic and a lower (~15%) body fat). I also sometimes think I am hypothyroid from being a competitive long distance runner for 7 years, the 6 months of severe undereating a few years ago, and mostly under eating comparative to my activity level in recent years. I don't run anymore but I do weight train.

Sorry if that was long-winded and if I posted it in the wrong forum.

As your metabolism improves the estrogen situation should work itself out. I don't know if it is a good idea (or necessary) for a man to take progest-e, thyroid is probably enough in most cases

Mittir

Ray Peat commented that people need bigger thyroid dose during winter time.
So season definitely is a factor in metabolism.
You can try light therapy to improve metabolism and temperature.
Here is a thread on light therapy viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&hilit=light+therapy
Stored PUFA is a major reason for all kind of thyroid and hormone related problems.
It takes about 4 years to completely change that fat ratio and
for a young lean person it takes shorter period of time.
Raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoot is essential for a better liver function,
which in turn removes estrogen and increase thyroid function.
For some people raw carrot salad is enough to normalize hormones.
Avoiding starch and soluble fiber help with lowering endotoxin .
Weekly serving of liver ( 3-6 oz) is needed for vitamin A to support
anti stress hormone production ( progesterone, pregnenolone etc)
with the help of thyroid. Pregnenolone seems safer for male.
I think thyroid should be the primary focus. You also need to have
good cholesterol level to make anti stress hormones.
Liver is also rich in copper and B vitamins .
Here is a link to general dietary guideline
viewtopic.php?t=20

pranarupa

Check your breathing, don't mouth breathe, even when exercising.
Be mindful of your breathing, it should naturally reduce.

Ideally the breath should be imperceptible, if you were to place a hand directly beneath your nose you would not be able to feel the slightest touch of the breath, if someone was to look at you they should not be able to see any sign that you are breathing. Obviously when exerting yourself breathing will increase, still no mouth breathing.

Watch out for unconscious hyperventilation in the form of unnecessary sighing etc.

This will increase co2 and with it circulation and respiratory efficiency.

Mosaic

In relation to what pranarupa said, you can take a look into the work of Buteyko and his breathing practices. Rebreathing in a paper bag combined with Buteyko breathing can bring up body temperature in a matter of minutes.

Fascinatingly, it seems to deepen the voice almost immediatly, too.

Your fat intake seems to be at the low end of the spectrum, maybe more works better for you in the winter times.

Raw thyroid and progest-e can be good under certain circumstances, but without more details it's hard to say if they are really necessary. I think progest-e is safer than thyroid when it comes to occasional supplementation, so one option is to just try it a few times, while having an eye on testosterone and DHT levels. I would go that route if higher fat intake and breathing exercises don't work. Aspirin would be another thing that comes to my mind, since it reduces estrogen, increases CO2 and potentially induces thermogenesis.

OP
M

max219

Thanks for the help so far! For the carrot salad, would one or two raw carrots alone be just as beneficial? Would it be better to skin them even if they're organic? I am cooking any fish or eggs in coconut oil,salt and lemon already. As for starch, I started eating it a few times a week, but haven't had any pure starch in two weeks now (although I plan to once or twice a week eventually). I am eating a good amount of bananas though which could up my starch unintentionally. . My fat intake is low cause I'm interested in leaning out just a little bit (i put on some fat overeating in the matt stone way over the summer).

As for supplements i guess I'll avoid raw thyroid for now and look into aspirin for the time being. I'll incorporate more liver (beef okay?) and try the paper bag breathing. Also I am 22 since I didn't mention yet

Mittir

One carrot salad is often sufficient, but some people do need twice a day.
Its is better too avoid eating salad in the evening.
Carotene in carrot is anti thyroid, that is why it is used in limited quantity.
I do not think it matters much if you skin them off.
There is a thread on raw carrot salad recipe.
Adding coconut oil and some vinegar makes it more potent.
He also recommends shredding longitudinally.
Banana has lots of problem besides starch, it is high in serotonin and
has soluble fiber and commercial bananas are high chitinase kind of allergens.
check the safe fruit list here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588
RP recommends Aspirin with adequate vitamin K to minimize risk
of ulcer bleeding. He also recommends dissolving aspirin in water and
to slowly increase the dose, this helps with not developing stomach ulcer.
Make sure that you do not have Aspirin intolerance before you start.
RP recommends bag breathing 1-2 minutes few times a day,
excess bag breathing can cause kidney stone problem.
Beef liver and lamb liver both are fine, Chicken liver is good too, but it is low in copper.

natedawggh

I agree with Mittir, and yes you could definitely benefit from thyroid. The desiccated supplements work really well, if not as aggressively as prescription. No synthetic.

OP
M

max219

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll keep experimenting for now. Might have to deal with it for at least a little as it gets colder each day though.

PepsiGestures

This might be a vitamin A deficiency. Vitamin A is needed (along with thyroid) to turn cholesterol into the steroid hormones that warm you up and generate heat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals