Comments For TRANSCRIPT PROJECTS

4peatssake

Charlie and burt or anyone in the know,

Are the transcripts going to be posted in one thread or individual ones for each topic?
I just want to make sure I catch them all once they are completed.

I can perhaps co-ordinate with loess who is doing final format and editing?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When transcript is all edited and done, it would then be posted in its own thread in the "Interview Transcript" sub-forum.

All the work being done here is in the "Interview Transcript Projects" sub-forum.

pboy

4peatssake said:
burtlancast said:
So, we have the endorsement of the man itself :eek:
( not that we needed it, lol :twisted: )
( maybe he will give a look at this forum from now on ?)
No endorsement needed of course, I just thought it was nice to let him know what the forum was up to and find out if the transcripts would be of value to him as well. :P

It's a nice way to give back to him but I'm not sure if it piqued his curiosity enough for a trip over or not. ;)

hed be simultaneously amused, joyful, horrified, and saying to some things "nooooooooooo". But it would have to make you happy to see your work bring so much benefit and legitimate conversation

4peatssake

Charlie said:
When transcript is all edited and done, it would then be posted in its own thread in the "Interview Transcript" sub-forum.

All the work being done here is in the "Interview Transcript Projects" sub-forum.
Thanks boss. :P

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
oh-no-you-didnt-2.jpeg

burtlancast

Just to clarify the verification order:
Part 1 verifies Part 2
Part 2 verifies Part 3
etc...
But since nobody comes before Part 1, he gets verified by Part 13 (the last part verifies the very first part)
:lol:

As far as the checking itself, it could be done by using this syntax around the corrected word: !!! corrected word !!!

Download the file, open it, modify it, and reupload it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just wanted to take this moment to say, thank you dd99 for being the spark that started this. And a big thanks to burtlancast for taking the initiative to get this going. Thank you! :hattip

It's a great day in Peat land. :mrgreen: These transcripts will help so many people.

pboy

Re: Transcript project 1: BLOGTALKRADIO : THE THYROID

nice, ill edit it

fixed

burtlancast

Important last minute initiative:

To make corrections, use this syntax: !!! word corrected !!!, as to enable the final editor to localise your corrections.

Very useful !

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
Just wanted to take this moment to say, thank you dd99 for being the spark that started this. And a big thanks to burtlancast for taking the initiative to get this going. Thank you! :hattip

It's a great day in Peat land. :mrgreen: These transcripts will help so many people.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks dd99, burt and everyone who has volunteered to help. :D

4peatssake

:yeahthat

HDD

Is anyone using an iPad to do this? If so, I could use some help in what I need to do to listen from the forum site. Do I need an app.?

loess

burtlancast said:
Great idea, loess.
I will then just take care of the cutting and uploading, and you will do the final editing.
Sounds good. So as soon as all parts are finished in each Transcription Project thread, I will piece it all together, polish up the formatting and try and catch all of the spelling/typos/grammar errors and then upload it. Then perhaps a moderator can put it wherever it should permanently live on the forum.

burtlancast said:
EDIT: your uploaded transcript is called transcript part 2, but it's really part 4, just for people to know
Oops, thanks for catching that. I renamed the file and double-checked that the download link still works. Actually, while I am thinking about it, I would like to propose to all volunteers that when you go to save and upload your transcription, if you could please include your username in your document's filename. That will help a bit with my own organizing purposes when I put all of the parts together.

burtlancast

loess said:
I would like to propose to all volunteers that when you go to save and upload your transcription, if you could please include your username in your document's filename. That will help a bit with my own organizing purposes when I put all of the parts together.

Good suggestion.
I've updated the FAQ for that.

loess

What is everyone's thoughts on including the various "filler" words that inevitably occur in spoken conversation, in regards to transcribing these? The most common being "um" and "uh", but sometimes "yes" or "yeah" is used out of context to begin a sentence when the speaker is in actuality refuting what the other person just said. Personally when I listen to Ray speak, his syntax is actually quite endearing, I think because I relate very closely to it, as I have a similar style in my speech of spending an extra moment to be especially selective with the words I choose, at the expense of a few "uh's" and "um's". However, if I'm reading a transcript, they don't flow as well and I'd rather omit them completely. It makes for a smoother read.

So I'd vote to leave those words out, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks...perhaps it is more important to transcribe these interviews as verbatim as possible?

pboy

yea I started putting them in but left them out when I realized it kind of threw off the flow when reading it. But if we wanted to be entirely accurate I guess we could keep them in, I don't mind either way. Looks like Lindsey included them...it seems fine but ill go with whatever majority of you all wanna do

OP
dd99

dd99

I leave out the 'ums' and include the 'yeahs' (even when he doesn't mean it and it's more of a 'yeahhhh, right') and 'ands' (I think Ray uses 'and' as a filler word occasionally, too).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
loess said:
Then perhaps a moderator can put it wherever it should permanently live on the forum.

The finished transcripts will go here:

viewforum.php?f=73

Oh and I vote to leave out the ummm's and other "filler" words. It flows much better.

pboy

um...Charlie....uhh, are you sure, um...that would be a good...uh, idea?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ummm yeh! :mrgreen:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals